Author Topic: Sub $1K Turntable With Cartridge?  (Read 448 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Sub $1K Turntable With Cartridge?
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:11:07 PM »
Do any members have recommendations for a turntable for less than 1K, that also includes a cartridge... Preferably one that is more immune to footfalls than another. Honestly, I owned a VPI Classic a number of years ago, and the unipivot arm unnerved me in use. I prefer something that does not feel like a science experiment each time I want to play a record...
Thanks for any suggestions.
PS- I greatly prefer new; a used turntable seems a most likely candidate for shipping abuse.

Offline Folsom

• Certifiable
Re: Sub $1K Turntable With Cartridge?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:52:43 PM »
Used. I don't like unipivot, generally. The Well Tempered is different.

Best bet is to find a used setup. $1k doesn't go super far.

I found this and a million other things I wouldn't buy.

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 12:22:30 PM »
Other than saying that Doug is a fan of certain Empire turntables...the 498 and 598 I believe ..... Iím looking for recommendations  as well in the under 1k range.
Nick
ICEpower 1200as2 stereo amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline rollo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:17:20 AM »
  Rega and Music Hall.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt-Arion

Offline Folsom

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 10:01:09 AM »
Other than saying that Doug is a fan of certain Empire turntables...the 498 and 598 I believe ..... Iím looking for recommendations  as well in the under 1k range.
Nick

Doug who?

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 03:16:42 PM »
Nick

Doug who?

doug s.
He posts here quite a bit and is a seasoned audiophile
ICEpower 1200as2 stereo amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
Pro-Ject has something solid at every price point.
Said to be the world's largest TT mfgr.

Offline doug s.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 05:57:05 PM »
Nick

Doug who?
doug who?   8)

hi jeremy; hopefully, i will get around sometime soon to build out the DIY7297 amp boards i bought from you some time ago. 

anyway, yes, i am a big proponent of vintage empire decks; i believe they're competitive w/anything new up to $2.5k or so.  i have this one up and playing now, (empire 598ii); it gives up little to my much more expensive oracle rig w/ortofon mc25fl lomc cartridge. total cost, shipping included, (including a nos a/t cartridge, also killer for the $60 i paid for it), was <$350:

the cartridge:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173273317326
this set-up is being gifted to my daughter, just waiting for her to get her integrated amp and speakers out of storage.  she's more than a little excited!  meanwhile, it's spinning vinyl in my main rig, and i am not missing the oracle.

i also nabbed this one for $350 shipped, which included buying a new cartridge sled for $40, (the original passed a signal, but it was introducing dynamic range distortion, audible and visible on my dbx 3bx), and a used linn k18 cartridge w/a new (Retail $120) hyper-elliptical nude stylus:

note that this one has the ultra-rare anti-skate on the empire 980 tonearm.  but. i've used the 980 arm w/o anti-skate, and it is still a way under-rated arm, imo.  and both these empire decks have the little magnet-pillar that lifts the tonearm up off the record at the end of play.  easy to set up and quite effective.  my oracle has a vintage audio-technica safety-raiser installed.  (thorens' q-up is also an excellent inexpensive option for this.)  i wouldn't have a tunrtable w/o a device to lift the arm up at the end of the record.

doug s.
ps - james, you're right about shipping issues - both of these empires i bought sustained shipping damage.  i was able to repair both, fortunately, and received some money back - not reflected in the prices i showed above. i got $115 back from the 598 and $50 back from the 298.  this was after i gave explicit packing instructions to both sellers.  which they didn't follow, but i bet if i'd said nothing, i would have received them in an unrepairable state.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:02:15 PM by doug s. »

Offline rollo

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
I'll say it again music Hall and Rega.

charles
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt-Arion

Offline doug s.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »
I'll say it again music Hall and Rega.

charles
i'll say it again - i'd put either of my empires mentioned above against any new rega/music hall offering up to $2.5k. 

doug s.

Offline rollo

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »
   Was not talking sound quality was talking convenience hassle free purchase. The OP is a simple man wanting music and convenience. Used stuff usually has some sort of issue. Then finding such.

charles

Offline doug s.

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »
   Was not talking sound quality was talking convenience hassle free purchase. The OP is a simple man wanting music and convenience. Used stuff usually has some sort of issue. Then finding such.

charles
no doubt, there is typically an issue or three, purchasing a used turntable, especially if it has to be shipped.  if it's local, then it's usually a non issue.  like the first empire i bought my daughter - $325 and i picked it up from the seller's house, and got a demo in his system. 

in the case of the two i mentioned above, both were easy fixes, and the performance/value was way worth it. i'd gladly invest an hour or two of my time to get $2.5k of performance for $350.  now, maybe if i made $1k-$2k/hour, i'd have to re-evaluate...  :mrgreen:

ymmv,

doug s.