Author Topic: testing imaging location  (Read 165 times)

Offline steve

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Reference components
testing imaging location
« on: September 08, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »
abcd

abcd

abcd
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:36:22 PM by steve »
Pre/Amp/ICs are the only components that can be tested for accuracy/naturalness.

Steve Sammet (retired)

SAS Audio Labs Test Phono Stage
SAS Audio 11A Preamp
SAS Audio 25 W Triode Amp
Test Spkrs 20-20khz
SAS Audio ICs
10 parallel 18 gauge speaker wires

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: testing imaging location
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 06:18:58 PM »
Steve I do not see the image, but when I cut and pasted the location you used discreetly into a browser page it gave me a  error saying "We can’t connect to the server at www.c.com.:. So I think it might be a syntax error in your location.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:21:35 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• Quicksilver Mid Monos
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Sumiko Blue Pt. Special
• EE Minmax DAC/Bluesound Node/Denon 2910
• TWL Power Cords/MIT Cables

Offline steve

• Reference components
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 07:52:46 PM »
Steve I do not see the image, but when I cut and pasted the location you used discreetly into a browser page it gave me a  error saying "We can’t connect to the server at www.c.com.:. So I think it might be a syntax error in your location.

Thanks T.

What I am attempting to do is to write an article and include images within the text. However, it seems all that happens is the jpg and pdf are at the bottom of my post.

Another problem is that the image is either very small, thumb nail, or when I click on the thumb nail, the image is so huge, it is larger than the monitor.

Any help is appreciated.

steve
Pre/Amp/ICs are the only components that can be tested for accuracy/naturalness.

Steve Sammet (retired)

SAS Audio 11A Preamp
Test Spkrs 20-20khz
SAS Audio ICs

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 09:21:21 PM »
Steve I think you had the technique right the first time , but you were trying to insert an image that was residing on your hard drive. When you use that insert image button the location you paste in must be some kind of online URL. you would have to take the images from your computer and upload them to some sort of image hosting site.

When I insert images of album covers I find them either on a site like amazon or just searching with Google images and when I find the image I want I right click on it and then pick Copy Image Location (I do this using Firefox, other browsers may be slightly different). Then I can paste the location into by post after hitting the insert image button.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:23:30 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• Quicksilver Mid Monos
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Sumiko Blue Pt. Special
• EE Minmax DAC/Bluesound Node/Denon 2910
• TWL Power Cords/MIT Cables

Offline steve

• Reference components
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 09:55:16 PM »
Ok, I will try that, but it will be a few days as I will be gone.

Quick question. Once I paste the image in my post here, will it be permanent on this forum?

I ask because some day I might delete the images on my website, and would hate to lose those
images in my post, on this forum.

cheers and thanks again T.

steve

Steve Sammet (retired)

SAS Audio 11A Preamp
Test Spkrs 20-20khz
SAS Audio ICs

Offline richidoo

• Last Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 10:01:21 PM »
You need to use an HTML image tag to embed the pictures into the text of your article. The image tag used on this forum is this (minus all the spaces)

[ img ] [ /img ]

When you press the Mona Lisa "Insert Image" button in the post editing screen (below the Bold button) it inserts this image tag into your post automatically, wherever your cursor is. The image tag has two parts, an opening statement [ img ] and the closing statement [ /img ]. You paste in the picture's URL link between the two tag statements: [ img ] here [ /img ].
Example:
[ img ] http://www.audionervosa.com/images/audio-nervosa-logo.png [ /img ]

Note: I added spaces to the statement to deliberately break the command so it would display the command in text instead of actually executing it, so that yuou can see how it's written. Without the spaces inserted to break the command it would be an active command and would be invisible, just showing the picture.

Instead of showing the command, the tags serve to delineate the plain message text from special content like pictures, bold, colors, font size, etc. The tags remain invisible. The forum software knows to recognize these tags and perform their instruction while making the commands invisible. So with the spaces all removed the image tag statement spelled out above looks like this:

As Tom said, the picture to be embedded into your message text must be already posted somewhere on the internet for it to be displayed using an HTML image tag. This means it will start with "http://" and end with a picture file suffix like jpg, gif, png, etc.  If the picture is not hosted on some web server, like if it's on your hard drive, then it is not available for AN readers to download to see it in your post. The Insert Image tag doesn't really "insert" your image, it only points to the web location of your image posted elsewhere on the internet. The picture is really only rendered into your published text when the reader views it. Then the picture is drawn in from the web location you specified and inserted into your message. This happens anew each time someone reads that page.  So your picture must be already published on the web before you can display it in embedded into the text a forum message.

AN used to provide that picture hosting service for members' pictures, but it broke and never got fixed. Aka Gallery.

AN does provide the function to attach a picture to a post. That adds a thumbnail of the fullsized orginal picture to the bottom of the post, and stores the original on AN server, to be displayed full size when the thumbnail is clicked. The thumbnail is displayed at the bottom of the post, not embedded within the message text. Also, attached files only live on the AN server for 1 year, then the attached file is deleted off the AN server automatically. There is no way to change this. Attachments are only temporary. If you want your embedded pictures to live forever, upload your pictures to a permanent location on the web, like a picture hosting service, and link that location into your post using Insert Image button to make an HTML tag.

AN server will not resize the picture file for you, except when it makes a thumbnail for an attachment. The original picture file has to be resized by you for fullsize display. In an HTML image tag, the picture will be displayed as full size from the URL link you post. It is possible to modify the display size of the image you link in img tag, but that's for you to learn on your own. Google: "Resize image HTML tag"

Hope this helps a little

Offline richidoo

• Last Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »
You're not pasting the picture into your post. You're pointing to the location of the picture already published elsewhere on the web.

So yes, the link you put in your HTML image tag will last as long as AN lasts. But the actual picture file must remain available at that location you specified in the tag, or the tag has nothing to display and will be broken.

I ask because some day I might delete the images on my website, and would hate to lose those
images in my post, on this forum.

Yes, that's what would happen. If you delete the pictures on your webserver, they would disappear from your AN article. AN is not storing your pictures, it is only adding them into your post, from the external source where the picture file actually lives. Delete the picture file from its source and it can't be copied into AN posts anymore.

Offline steve

• Reference components
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »
Thanks Rich.

I resized my pictures on my webpage to extremely small, but they still are gigantic here. I will have to see what I can do later.

Thanks.

steve
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:37:38 PM by steve »

Steve Sammet (retired)

SAS Audio 11A Preamp
Test Spkrs 20-20khz
SAS Audio ICs

Offline richidoo

• Last Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 04:39:26 PM »
I resized my pictures on my webpage to extremely small, but they still are gigantic here. I will have to see what I can do later.

When you reduce the size of the picture on your own webpage you are only editing the image tag, not the original picture file that is hosted on your webserver. You are changing the HTML tag in your webpage HTML code that controls how that original picture is displayed on your webpage. But the large original photo source file is still big and will appear big when it is displayed on another webpage, like AN, unless you do one of two things:

1. Reduce the file size of the original picture file by editing the picture size in a photo editor like MS Paint, and uploading that reduced picture file to your webserver. The reduced picture it will display smaller no matter where it is displayed, even with very simple image tag with no resizing.

2. Use image tag resizing every time you publish the picture.

Your webpage editing software that you used to make your webpage is a WYSIWYG editor (what you see is what you get.) It shows the final result that will appear in everyone's browser when you publish it to your webserver.  It is doing the image tag resizing behind the scenes, invisibly to you. It is writing complex image tags that modify the size of the original picture that is hosted on your webserver for display on your website. All you do is highlight the picture and press a button to make it look smaller. But if another website wants to display that same picture, it too will need to use image tags to resize the picture to be the right size for that webpage. If you don't use image tag resizing then the image tag will display the full sized picture from your webserver and it will be too big.

Because forum is mostly meant for text, it is not very easy to use image tag resizing in your posts, unless you know how to program it manually, without the aid of your WYSIWYG webpage editor. It is usually easier to edit the size of original source photo file than it is to manually program image tag resizing. ymmv

In your case, since the oversized picture is already published, if you reduced its size, you would also have to adjust the resizing that your WYSIWYG editor has applied to make it appear the correct size in your webpage. But then it would appear the right size on AN without using image tag resizing.

OR you could just create a new separate file of the same picture but smaller file size and host that on your webserver for use on forums only. It would not affect your webpage because that is using the original large file.

The root of the problem stems from digital phones and cameras have large pixel photo sensors, which capture large size photos. If camera is 12mega pixels and the typical computer screen is only 2 mega pixels then the original raw picture file will not fit on a computer screen without first being reduced. All camera photos must be reduced dramatically before they can be posted on the web because camera resolution is far higher than computer display resolution. The pixels on a computer display monitor are much larger than the pixels on a camera sensor. My 20yo DSLR camera and my cheap cellphone have similar pixel resolution. The pictures they take both need to be reduced down to 30% to be the right size for forum posts. Newer cameras and phones have much higher resolution than my old gear, and will require even smaller reduction to produce the same sized picture on the same screen.

You need to use a photo editing software like MS Paint or photoshop to reduce the picture file size.
Does this make any sense?

Offline richidoo

• Last Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 07:18:14 PM »
As an example, the picture file on your webserver (sasvinterconnect.jpg) of your interconnects is 2304 x 1728 pixels in size. Your browser will automatically reduce it to fit on the screen, but if you click on the picture it will expand to full size. This is obviously too big to fit on any display monitor, but this is a typical size file from an older digital camera or phone, about 4 mega pixels.

Your interconnect webpage uses an image tag to resize that picture to 400 x 300 pixels: Line 33 of your interconnects page says:

< img src="sasvinterconnect.jpg" width="400" height="300" alt="V interconnects"></a>

The part that says width="400" height="300" is resizing the 2304 x 1728 sized picture as it is stored on your webserver to appear as 400 x 300 on your interconnect page (17.3% of original size.)  But on your home page the same 2304 x 1728 picture file is being resized by the image tag on the home page (line 38) as 220 x 140:

< img src="sasvinterconnect.jpg" width="220" height="140" alt="V Interconnect"></a>V Interconnect, Still make a few. <br /><br />

AN forum software does not have the ability to resize an image in the [img] tag, so it can only display pictures in their actual size.

If you change the picture file size on your server, you will also have to change the image tags which are resizing it if you want to maintain the sizes that they are currently displayed on your website. That's not hard to do, and it will also reduce the download time for that picture. You can see how slowly the pictures load on the home page - it's because they're all huge files in reality, just displayed as small after they are downloaded. So you can speed your page loading and reduce data transfer. It would be nice to reduce the size of all the picture files to only what's actually needed and avoid the resizing in the tag. Then they would all be correct size for posting in forums too.

A simpler way is to just reduce the original big file(s) to whatever size you want in your forum posts, save it and upload it with a different name to your webserver. With a different name it will not interfere with your website or the original larger picture or existing image tag resizing, etc, but you can link to it on your forum posts and it will be the correct size.

Offline steve

• Reference components
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 07:35:17 PM »
Rich I think I have it. I will use both the IMG and the browse if that is ok.

cheers and thanks Rich.

steve
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:37:04 PM by steve »

Steve Sammet (retired)

SAS Audio 11A Preamp
Test Spkrs 20-20khz
SAS Audio ICs

Offline richidoo

• Last Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 07:12:55 AM »
I don't know what the browse means, but use whatever works for you!