Author Topic: should i or shouldn't i?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline doug s.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
should i or shouldn't i?
« on: May 16, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »
and if i do, which one?   :rofl:

ok, here's the deal.  whenever i see a good deal on something - especially speakers - i get the itch.  it could now be scratched in three ways:
- vmps v60
- cj srs
- morrison model 19

they're all local (there's 2 pairs of the cj's, the 2nd is not local).  the local cj's, the guy will take partial trade for my kef ls50's plus a little cash, or he'll take my gemme tanto's straight across.  (that's another sick thing about this - i've had the gemme's for several years, and have never even unboxed them!?!  now that i am in my new digs, shouldn't i at least listen to them?!? )  ](*,)

i've always wanted to hear all of these, and they'd all be suited for my present large room.

any comments regarding these speakers?  any comments regarding whether i should have posted this question in the "are you obsessed" thread?   :rofl:

doug s.

Offline S Clark

Re: should i or shouldn't i?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »
Got a large room?  As you already know, the 50's aren't going to cut it.  I love line sources for big rooms-- I have Danny R's LS9's.  Find a pair of LS6's used.  They show up about every 3 or 4 months.  Drive to where they are and bring them home.  No need for subwoofers, but you do need a hefty amp.  Buy a set and be happy. 
Ok, that's not what you are asking.  I do like the VMPS speakers.  I don't especially like the KEF's.  Heard the KEF's in my room, and preferred the inexpensive X-Statik kit. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:12:43 PM by S Clark »
TT- Technics SP10MK2 , Vyger TImor  / Quintet Blue, Dyna 20x2L, Blackbird
Phono pre- Dodd, , Jolida
Cables- Audioquest,Bolder, Wywires, TWL,
Speakers- LS-9, X-Static/GR-servo
Pre-Dodd
Amp- Moscode 401HR, Dodd, Folsom
P.I. Audio diffusers
DIY corner traps

Offline doug s.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
Got a large room?  As you already know, the 50's aren't going to cut it.  I love line sources for big rooms-- I have Danny R's LS9's.  Find a pair of LS6's used.  They show up about every 3 or 4 months.  Drive to where they are and bring them home.  No need for subwoofers, but you do need a hefty amp.  Buy a set and be happy. 
Ok, that's not what you are asking.  I do like the VMPS speakers.  I don't especially like the KEF's.  Heard the KEF's in my room, and preferred the inexpensive X-Statik kit.
my room is ~26x38, and it opens up to other large cu.ft. areas. but, as i already know the ls50's work great in that room, since they're crossed over to a pair of vmps larger subs at 70hz.  (even my tiny proac tablette 8 ref sig's work great in that set-up; tho, at ~6"w x 10.5"h x 9"d, they look even funnier than the ls50's in such a large space.)  honestly, any decent speaker sounds no worse than very very good in that room, when crossed over to subs.  at least none that i've tried.  in fact, the only speakers i had in that room that didn't cut it were the totem arro's, which simply fell apart at higher spl's, even tho crossed over to the subs.  the ls50's and even the tiny proacs don't have that problem at high spl's.

i also like the vmps speakers - at least the rm40's, which i've heard extensively in rim's room, and also another pair in a different system.  never heard either the v60's, or the morrison's, or the c/j synthesis reference system, but i've heard great things about them.  i've also heard great things about danny's ls-series line sources, but i'd want the ls9's, not the 6's...  and danny himself says they are not the last word in resolution...

thanks,

doug s.

Offline S Clark

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 07:10:29 PM »
I can see the 50's doing a good job with a sub, but I'm surprised they can fill that room.  As far as the 9's vs the 6's, neither reach much above 15-16K, so there's that... not that I've heard anything above that in 20 years.  But there is just something about the 9's that the 6's don't have, a weight with large symphonic music.  I've heard the VMPS 60's years back and was favorably impressed.  They might be the solution if the deal's right.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:24:05 PM by S Clark »
TT- Technics SP10MK2 , Vyger TImor  / Quintet Blue, Dyna 20x2L, Blackbird
Phono pre- Dodd, , Jolida
Cables- Audioquest,Bolder, Wywires, TWL,
Speakers- LS-9, X-Static/GR-servo
Pre-Dodd
Amp- Moscode 401HR, Dodd, Folsom
P.I. Audio diffusers
DIY corner traps

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:05:03 PM »
and if i do, which one?   :rofl:

ok, here's the deal.  whenever i see a good deal on something - especially speakers - i get the itch.  it could now be scratched in three ways:
- vmps v60
- cj srs
- morrison model 19

they're all local (there's 2 pairs of the cj's, the 2nd is not local).  the local cj's, the guy will take partial trade for my kef ls50's plus a little cash, or he'll take my gemme tanto's straight across.  (that's another sick thing about this - i've had the gemme's for several years, and have never even unboxed them!?!  now that i am in my new digs, shouldn't i at least listen to them?!? )  ](*,)

i've always wanted to hear all of these, and they'd all be suited for my present large room.

any comments regarding these speakers?  any comments regarding whether i should have posted this question in the "are you obsessed" thread?   :rofl:

doug s.

Doug,
You obsessed?? How could that be  8-[  Really havenít heard any of those speakers, only the humongous VMPS RM 40s which I liked. Good luck on this one and let us know what you decide.
Re those little kefs, they can indeed crank at high splís
Nick
ICEpower 1200as2 stereo amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline rollo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:42:37 AM »
VMPS v60 is my pick.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt-Arion

Offline doug s.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 06:56:29 AM »
VMPS v60 is my pick.

charles
hi charlie!

have you heard any of these?

thanks,

doug s.

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:45:39 AM »
Yes VMPS. Big bold with weight.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt-Arion

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 01:37:01 PM »
Morrisons sure look interesting.

Have you ever tried omnidirectional speakers? No? Then I would scratch that itch

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »
Here's Chris aka "Lone Wolf" leaning up against some RM 60s

I still say the Morrison just out of curiosity

--Ice Cube

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »
Looks familiar...

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 04:00:05 PM »
Here's Chris aka "Lone Wolf" leaning up against some RM 60s

I still say the Morrison just out of curiosity

--Ice Cube

Offline doug s.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »
Morrisons sure look interesting.

Have you ever tried omnidirectional speakers? No? Then I would scratch that itch

i heard old ohm walsh 2's casually, and was amazed at the imaging/soundstaging.  i actually bought a pair many years ago, but they arrived in pieces, as the seller was brain-dead regarding proper packaging, so i never got to hear them in my room.  last fall, i heard (and loved) the way-expensive german physiks speakers at caf.

meanwhile, i should just dig out my gemme tanto's out of the basement and hear what they sound like.   or put the ls50's in the kitchen, move the dillon ego's from the kitchen into the bedroom, and put the piega's, which are in the bedroom, in the living room.  or drag out the oris horns and lascala bass bins from the basement, and give them a go.  :shock:

you know, it's been so long since i had a decent room, and it was such a disaster moving and finally getting it set up, that now it's in place, the idea of unpacking and moving more stuff around is energy-depleting.  yet, i see these really good deals on stuff i've always wanted to try.  ya, i shoulda posted in the "are you obsessed" thread.   :lol:

doug s.