Author Topic: what are these?  (Read 5838 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
what are these?
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
From a thread of pictures at THE Show... what are these speakers with the open and recessed tweeters? Never saw this style before.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:18:26 PM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: what are these?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
or these? How the heck does this work?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:18:57 PM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Online Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »
Bob,
I believe the second picture is Ira Pazandeh's speakers, former member of our club! He has a patent on them! http://www.episodeaudio.com/

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:20:44 PM »
Very innovative!! He is a thinker.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 05:09:58 AM »
  Ira has invented some different and interesting speakers over the years. A very talented man. He was the first to properly utilize the passive driver. Has had his ups and downs in the Biz, but never gave up.
   I would love to hear anything Ira designs. To boot one of the sincerest, kindest and honest man I have ever met.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
or these? How the heck does this work?

The top driver in the first pic look's like one of Dr. Heil's Air Motion Transformers, doesn't it?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 05:07:01 PM »
  Ira ... was the first to properly utilize the passive driver... 

charles

Huh??  I had a pair of JBL's 40 years ago with 8 inch passive radiators.  I just figured JBL would know what they're doing with something this relatively easy, but could be wrong.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:19:12 AM »
  Ira ... was the first to properly utilize the passive driver... 

charles

Huh??  I had a pair of JBL's 40 years ago with 8 inch passive radiators.  I just figured JBL would know what they're doing with something this relatively easy, but could be wrong.

A lot has changed in "40" years. As i state he was the first to do it correctly. He had issues with several Manf's over patents. A long story only Ira can tell. Ira being the class act he is probably would not comment publicly. No axe to grind, he just wants to create the speaker for all times and I wish him luck.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 06:00:23 AM »
Charles,

Yes much has changed in 40 years: high school, college, and 4 different jobs.  Those JBL's were my first foray into mid-fi, but I was already hooked.  By college I started delving into serious hi-fi.  By 1976 the huge JBL L-300's had caught my eye, but was introduced to Fried Model H (coffin transmission line stereo woofer cabinet with LS3/5a clone "satellites").  A nice vinyl setup, high end Nakamichi 700 cassette deck, Hafler pre/power amps took me into my first marriage.  Along the way the turntable was (physically) dropped and I followed the "perfect sound" promise.  Predictably the system was down sized and ended up with smaller Frieds and NAD CDP/3020 receiver.  After the death of my oldest and ensuing divorce I finally got back into the fray with the help of the internet.

Tried to like SETs, but settled on the fact that I'm a "speaker guy" and couldn't find SET compatable speakers I liked.  Ended up going to Bob Brines and commissioned "full range" single driver transmisison lines.  Tried music server, but the modded Squeeze Box routinely "glitched" so I'm back to spinning CDs.  I now have three systems: the "big rig" is in my dedicated man cave/listening room; a 5.1 HT system in the family room (but I'm not really into movies); and the living room system (with "leftover" components).  Even the A/V system has audio leftovers in it.

Now as I consider retirement my future audio goals are becoming more "reasonable".  Won't need 20K Hz, 110 dB response, will need more convenience/simple to use interface, integration with video, and more WAF.  But damn if I end up with a "lifestyle" system.   :nono: