Author Topic: need recommendation re integrated amp  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
Re: need recommendation re integrated amp
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2018, 03:04:31 PM »
Hello Doug,
Had a nice reply typed up and itís gone. Oh well....
The stereo 1200as amp is a diy unit from a guy at another forum. I have no idea how he got those modules and Iíve been asked to keep the information private. Iím quite interested and the price of admission seems reasonable to me.
Iím not really a flavor if the month kind of guy, but Richís glowing comments have me interested as do comments from others whoís postings and associated gear Iím familiar with.
Some glowing reports or recommendations obviously donít pan out like my adventure with the Nolas and those little Mark Audio Alpair drivers, but some recommendations like those of the kef LS50s do!!

As to the pesky sub situation, my wife and I have guidelines as to size and placement and thatís the way its gotta be. Heck, I was happy with the bass from my SP Tech drivers...but yeah, Iíd like a little more.

As to the Melos, Iíll take a peak again. Donít recall seeing any mention of phono and I do have a Don Sachs phono here...never played yet and gathering dust. But Iím holding on to that baby right now. Donís stuff has nothing but very positive comments.

Thatís it for now. Need to call contractors to do work on the house. Iím lucky to get a 50% response from these guys
Nick
ICEpower 1200as2 stereo amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline doug s.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2018, 03:34:46 PM »
Hello Doug,
Had a nice reply typed up and itís gone. Oh well....
The stereo 1200as amp is a diy unit from a guy at another forum. I have no idea how he got those modules and Iíve been asked to keep the information private. Iím quite interested and the price of admission seems reasonable to me.
Iím not really a flavor if the month kind of guy, but Richís glowing comments have me interested as do comments from others whoís postings and associated gear Iím familiar with.
Some glowing reports or recommendations obviously donít pan out like my adventure with the Nolas and those little Mark Audio Alpair drivers, but some recommendations like those of the kef LS50s do!!

As to the pesky sub situation, my wife and I have guidelines as to size and placement and thatís the way its gotta be. Heck, I was happy with the bass from my SP Tech drivers...but yeah, Iíd like a little more.

As to the Melos, Iíll take a peak again. Donít recall seeing any mention of phono and I do have a Don Sachs phono here...never played yet and gathering dust. But Iím holding on to that baby right now. Donís stuff has nothing but very positive comments.

Thatís it for now. Need to call contractors to do work on the house. Iím lucky to get a 50% response from these guys
Nick
i am sure the as1200 amp is nice; way too many folks like it for it not to be nice.  as you can see from the pic, a blind person could put one together.  if it's not apparent yet, i am all for good sound and bargain priced!

re: "pesky sub situation", whatever it is, based on your room foto's, i don't see why two of the L2's would not fit unobtrusively on the wall between the speakers and your equipment rack.  but, you know better.

re: the melos; the one i saw on a/a - $1300 - said another $1k would get you the matching fono stage.  i never heard it, but it matches mine, as well.  and it was s'phile class-a-rated, back when s'phile's ratings may have actually meant something.  and i know how the linestage sounds.

re: contractors - if you're getting a 50% response, that's way better than i've ever gotten!

doug s.

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2018, 11:11:57 PM »
nick,

another interesting avenue to explore - while i was exploring the schiit eitr (nice name, eh?) , i also happened to take a gander at its other schiity offerings.  it was interesting to note, in the reviews of its (relatively) reasonably priced integrated amp and its power amp, that besides pretty-much universally excellent reviews, several of the reviewers used the gear w/ls50's and really liked that combination...

http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar
http://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok

doug s.

Doug,
Nice pieces for quite good prices and good comments about the raggie as well. But no remote?? I use that thing all the time!  Other than having heard of Mike Moffatt from the old Theta days and his partner Stoddard from ??, I donít know much about Schiit. Some years back,
I was considering finding old Golden Tube Audio amps and having Jeff from Sonic Craft mod them. During that conversation, he commented on the Bifrost dac and that he could mod it into an exemplary unit. But I never took him up on it. Donít know anyone who has the Sch... stuff either.

Now as to ďapprovedĒ locations for subs, I may turn that part of the discussion over to my wife......
Nick
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2018, 08:12:14 AM »
Nick. FWIW, two of our AudioSyndrome members, who have been die hard tube guys since the 1980s recently switched over to Peachtree integrateds and are very happy with them.
Remember, it's all about the music........

ē Nola Boxers
ē Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
ē Quicksilver Mid Monos
ē ARC SP-9
ē VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Sumiko Blue Pt. Special
ē EE Minmax DAC/Bluesound Node/Denon 2910
ē TWL Power Cords/MIT Cables

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2018, 09:40:16 AM »
Nick. FWIW, two of our AudioSyndrome members, who have been die hard tube guys since the 1980s recently switched over to Peachtree integrateds and are very happy with them.

Tom, which Peachtree integrated?

Offline doug s.

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2018, 10:09:28 AM »
i never even noticed, but it's amazing to me that a company like schiit would have an integrated amp w/o remote.

if you have a system that can handle a passive remote, this one is fantastic:

http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=113

i actually used one between my melos preamp and amps when the melos' remote was having issues (prior to the resent refurb and mods), and it's totally transparent.  in fact, i'd recommend it between a fave amp/preamp combo that didn't have remote, if you want to add remote.  when i got mine, i was told they won't make any more of the single-input iterations, but it's still a good deal for the performance offered, imo.

doug s.

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2018, 10:46:54 AM »

Tom,
Havenít looked at Peachtree in ages. I must say I donít recall their products being as stylish. It sure is another Swiss army knife type product. In addition to the Parasound, the other manufacturer that gets rave reviews is Hegel....from Norway I think.
Nick
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline rollo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »

For what its worth the reason was my suggestion since one owns maggies which love current and quads which also loves current based amps. The Maggie guy was using 70W amps the Quad guy using mushy VTL amps oye !. Cost was a huge factor for them, they are quite frugal.
Peachtree is a VG amp in certain systems One can do so much better if willing to spend a tad more.

charles
Home demo.
 contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2018, 11:26:39 PM »
Well,
I bought an icepower 1200as amp from member TomS and it arrived today. It was not made by Mivera Mike. The Takachi case is beautiful and I really wonder why Mike went to all the trouble of the super fancy other case.
Anyway, the amp will have to sit for nearly a week as weíre having some painting and flooring done.
Yes, itíll be a very sad week.......
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline doug s.

« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2018, 04:34:42 AM »
Well,
I bought an icepower 1200as amp from member TomS and it arrived today. It was not made by Mivera Mike. The Takachi case is beautiful and I really wonder why Mike went to all the trouble of the super fancy other case.
Anyway, the amp will have to sit for nearly a week as weíre having some painting and flooring done.
can you pull the lid and take pics?  it wasn't made by mike, but it's one of his kits, correct?

doug s.

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2018, 07:27:30 PM »
Well,
can you pull the lid and take pics?  it wasn't made by mike, but it's one of his kits, correct?

doug s.

Doug,
Unable to do much of anything right now. Due to the painting etc stuff  is covered with drop cloths etc  Really doubt it was a Mike kit. Donít know how it was sourced and put together.
Nick
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline doug s.

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2018, 11:33:14 PM »
Doug,
Unable to do much of anything right now. Due to the painting etc stuff  is covered with drop cloths etc  Really doubt it was a Mike kit. Donít know how it was sourced and put together.
Nick

good luck w/the remodeling. 

when you get the chance, it would still be nice to see how it was wired up, what connectors, etc, were used.  even if it wasn't one of mike's kits.  it's clear from the pic of the hi-zoot mivera amp that there's not much to it in the way of possible add-ons.

oh, and don't forget to tell us how it sounds, either!   :D

doug s.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2018, 08:12:32 AM »
Well,

doug s.
No, absolutely nothing to do with him.

Inside is just a stock module and stock wiring in a Takachi case, so nothing to see there at all. There are no reasonable mods for the 1200AS2 as of yet. They're all the same.

The connectors are Furutech FI-06NCF for IEC, FT-786F XLR, FT-807 binding posts, all Rhodium. They're just good quality parts, no idea if it makes any sonic difference from other decent quality parts. 2-3" of wire inside, very doubtful.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline Folsom

• Seeking Help
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »
It would be a bigger upgrade to make a gap between the binding posts that isnt metal. It can be fairly small. This would be better than the silliness of trying to use uber wire. Furutech makes great connectors. The only change I might consider is an NCF IEC inlet, cheap and audible.

Oh wait, if there are any Y caps from line to ground, they sould be removed. And maybe a couple other possibilities... oh gawd, am I getting myself into something?

Offline doug s.

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2018, 06:16:44 PM »
It would be a bigger upgrade to make a gap between the binding posts that isnt metal. It can be fairly small. This would be better than the silliness of trying to use uber wire. Furutech makes great connectors. The only change I might consider is an NCF IEC inlet, cheap and audible.

Oh wait, if there are any Y caps from line to ground, they sould be removed. And maybe a couple other possibilities... oh gawd, am I getting myself into something?
well, tom said that the furutech ncf iec was used in this instance.  regarding cabling, the following supposedly did make a difference, to those who heard.  placebo effect, maybe?

- Neotech 26ga., UP-OCC constructed, silver/gold chassis wire, 10 strands each for +/- of both speaker connectors, and 6 strands each for the +/- of both input connectors
- Furutech dps-4 power cable

and it seems tom used the same furutech connectors for the xlr's and binding posts.

that's what's seen in the pic i posted earlier in this thread:
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=6526.msg85533#msg85533

very simple build, obviously.  jared at bellissimo audio says that direct soldering of the connectors instead of the cheap pin connectors will be more important than the wire itself, and that the wire is wasted w/o direct soldering of them.

doug s.