Author Topic: The Monolith open baffle planar array  (Read 4332 times)

Offline HAL

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: The Monolith open baffle planar array
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »
The Monoliths in final form for CAF2018.

System is wired and getting ready to do some listening.

Offline HAL

• Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2018, 06:26:32 AM »
Greg Weaver for EnjoyTheMusic.com got to stop by at CAF2018 for a listen.  Here is his show report section with The Monoliths.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Capital_Audiofest_2018/page3.htm

Offline P.I.

• Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2018, 12:43:15 PM »
Greg Weaver for EnjoyTheMusic.com got to stop by at CAF2018 for a listen.  Here is his show report section with The Monoliths.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Capital_Audiofest_2018/page3.htm
great review, Rich!  Good onya’.   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline doug s.

« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »
unfortunately, i only got to spend a few hours on sunday at this year's caf.  but i made certain to stop by this room.  i was very impressed w/the sound >100hz - especially since the room seemed a mite large for the set up.  but, for me, i'd opt for a traditional pair of the rythmik subs; maybe something along the lines of their f25.  i'd think it wouldn't cost any more; maybe the same or less, if they were home-grown like the open-baffle subs made for this system.  i simply don't care for the rythmik based o-b subs i've heard.  last year, i was so looking forward to hearing the gt audio planar ribbon rig w/the rythmik custom 6 driver per side sub set up.  it was a major disappointment to me.  nothing i'd be interested in listening to at any price, let alone what that system retails for.  soundstaging was non-existent, just a diffuse mess.  not at all detailed.  and the bass (and everything else) was better in the pureaudioproject room, w/their open-baffle horns and two 15" drivers per side.  bigger room, too; and i overheard some folks last year talking about "best in show" sound from the gta/rythmik room?  (this year's puraudioproject/vpi room was also nice; better than the wilson/vpi room next-door, which was a better sized room, and the wilson alexx's are ~12.5x the price of the p/a/p's; and the amp/pre electronics were also similarly more expensive.)

i didn't even bother to hear the gta system this year cuz my time was limited, and i figured, it would sound the same, tho in fairness, part-time-audio said this year's sound in the gta room was much improved over last year's.

in any event, i think hollis audio labs and danville signal are really on to something; and, being custom designers, i'm sure they would brew up whatever you please.

doug s.

Offline HAL

• Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2018, 01:46:34 PM »
Thanks Dave!

It was a team effort! :)

doug s, you should have heard the GTA room this year.  The two OB 6x12's were actually working correctly this time!  They fixed the problem they had last year.  I have the same OB 6x12's in my listening room that I built and now they sound the same.  They did not last year.

Offline doug s.

« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
Thanks Dave!

It was a team effort! :)

doug s, you should have heard the GTA room this year.  The two OB 6x12's were actually working correctly this time!  They fixed the problem they had last year.  I have the same OB 6x12's in my listening room that I built and now they sound the same.  They did not last year.
aha!  so, i wasn't deaf!  and, everyone who said it sounded so good last year was just bowled over by how it looked, cuz it sure looked like it should sound good! :lol:

and again, in fairness to your system this year, it's possible that the two driver per channel subs were simply not enough to drive the big room you were in, because the rest of your system's sound was top-notch, imo.

maybe next year...

doug s.