Author Topic: If you were to design the Perfect Speaker...  (Read 3402 times)

Offline doug s.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: If you were to design the Perfect Speaker...
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »
this is weird...

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/origin-live-astute--pound;4995/20483

hang 'em from the ceiling if floor space is an issue?  :shock:

doug s.
Back in the 80's I worked in a recording studio that had Urei 811 monitors that were hung from the ceiling with 1/4" link chains.  When I talked the studio owner into letting me build soffits for them and mount them on 3" thick laminations of plywood and MDF the bottom had extended another octave or two and the bass impact was finally there from those 604E's.

I realize that they are to be used with a subwoofer, but an 8" driver moving @ 80hz will still have to transfer the opposing kinetic energy somewhere.  I guess I'm jaded in my old age. Just sayin'...
i had the same reaction.  but, according to the review, they don't move even a tiny bit.  wery strange, me-thinks...

doug s.
Perhaps they per ute physics.  Did they use a laser accelerator to measure displacement?  Me thinks not  :D
i would suspect that if one were to use a laser accelerator to measure displacement, that even 250lb solid floor-standing speakers would be showing some movement!   :D

doug s.

Offline rollo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 10:53:12 AM »
  Movement is a good thing. Since I installed the 7/8" wood dowels under mine the result was better sound, go figure. I think we need to rethink securing our speakers to floor.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt-Arion

Offline P.I.

• Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 11:13:17 AM »
  Movement is a good thing. Since I installed the 7/8" wood dowels under mine the result was better sound, go figure. I think we need to rethink securing our speakers to floor.

charles
Cool gonna have to try it!  Kudos to Gary.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 08:08:52 AM »
   How about one that can put out a perfect square wave when a square wave is put in. That was what B&O was striving for.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt-Arion

Offline doug s.

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
   How about one that can put out a perfect square wave when a square wave is put in. That was what B&O was striving for.

charles
hi charlie!

from what i've read, they've been quite successful.  (very expensive, tho.)  and, it goes against your anti-dsp speaker thing.  ;)

doug s.

Offline P.I.

• Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 07:28:54 PM »

charles
ah, yes: the massless speaker.  I'll get right on it!  That was one of the strengths of the Hill Plasmatrognic tweeter built here about 20 miles away 30+ years ago. Helium plasma modulated by an arc. Alan Hill was a laser physicist out at Sandia Base at the Air Force Weapons Lab here in Albuquerque.  Met him once many years ago and the man defined scientific / audio geek.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline doug s.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 08:40:29 PM »

charles
ah, yes: the massless speaker.  I'll get right on it!  That was one of the strengths of the Hill Plasmatrognic tweeter built here about 20 miles away 30+ years ago. Helium plasma modulated by an arc. Alan Hill was a laser physicist out at Sandia Base at the Air Force Weapons Lab here in Albuquerque.  Met him once many years ago and the man defined scientific / audio geek.
acapella makes some nice (and expensive) speakers using a plasma tweeter, (5khz-50khz) but w/o all the ozone like the plasmatronics produced.

doug s.

Offline Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
I guess when discussions like this come up it's good to have your name thrown in there.

I think Danny Richie is interesting in that he'll sacrifice a little distortion to improve another aspect. Not many driver developers are willing to make this jump that may or may not measure in say a waterfall plot. I think that's a mature outlook.

I wouldn't say that I would sacrifice a little distortion, but I would say that if you are looking for a way to quantify performance then looking at distortion specs is a waste of time.

It's like looking at amplifier ratings and comparing .01% verses .02% verses .005% published distortion numbers and trying to say one is better than another. We know there hundreds of other aspects that effect how an amplifier will sound.

The same holds true for speakers. A way out there distortion number in a given range will point to a problem but it won't tell you how it will sound. And most people don't realize just how hard it is to get real distortion figures. There is no industry standard for it either. So there is no real bases for comparison.

Trade-offs should be type, size, shape and finish. Danny Richiees trade-off was to NOT pay attention to all the measurements but to stand fast in his conviction. Rant over. I need a nap.

Actually, all of our design work starts with the measurements. The measurements will point out an issue quicker than anything. But they won't tell you how good it will sound.