Author Topic: want recommendations for small 2 way speakers and powered sub  (Read 4406 times)

Offline doug s.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: want recommendations for small 2 way speakers and powered sub
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »
Still looking into subs. Was looking at Dannys 12 kit and waiting for a guy to contact me and give a quote to build the cabinet. It appears best performance is between a 1.5 to 1.8 cu ft enclosure. Does anyone know if making it smaller will simply lessen the performance from maybe 18 hz to say 24 hz?
I presume it will screw up the performance, but just wanted to ask. The F12 Rythmik is too big. L12 not too bad as to size....and money.
Another question is what is the effect of having to use a splitter for the line connection?
the cabinet plans for danny's subwoofer kit will give you a subwoofer with the exact dimensions as the rythmik f12.  yes, you could likely make it smaller, but it seems that specific size has been optimized.  perhaps it's worth querying danny and/or rythmik about it.  i'd also query rythmik about whether they could sell you a special L12 w/the a370 amp instead of the hx300, as this would basically give you the smaller cabinet w/the same amp & driver as the f12 or danny's kit w/his cabinet plans.  (they actually sell an f12 w/the hx300 amp for less $; maybe they'd do it in reverse, for an upcharge over the regular L12.)  might save time/money.

i wouldn't worry about any issues w/using a splitter, unless your output impedance of your preamp (or source) is more than 1.5k.  typically, you want to make sure that your output impedance is 1/10th the input impedance of the amps.  using a splitter will effectively be reducing the input impedance of the amps by about half.  but, your amp has input impedance of 100k, and the rythmik amps have input impedance of 30k; it's unlikely that you have a source that is more than 1.5k output impedance.  at 1.5k output impedance of your sources, the rythmik's effective 15k input impedance resulting from using a splitter will have no effect; w/the mccormack amp's effective 50k impedance, it's the same.

doug s.

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2018, 02:54:11 PM »
Still looking into subs. Was looking at Dannys 12 kit and waiting for a guy to contact me and give a quote to build the cabinet. It appears best performance is between a 1.5 to 1.8 cu ft enclosure. Does anyone know if making it smaller will simply lessen the performance from maybe 18 hz to say 24 hz?
I presume it will screw up the performance, but just wanted to ask. The F12 Rythmik is too big. L12 not too bad as to size....and money.
Another question is what is the effect of having to use a splitter for the line connection?
the cabinet plans for danny's subwoofer kit will give you a subwoofer with the exact dimensions as the rythmik f12.  yes, you could likely make it smaller, but it seems that specific size has been optimized.  perhaps it's worth querying danny and/or rythmik about it.  i'd also query rythmik about whether they could sell you a special L12 w/the a370 amp instead of the hx300, as this would basically give you the smaller cabinet w/the same amp & driver as the f12 or danny's kit w/his cabinet plans.  (they actually sell an f12 w/the hx300 amp for less $; maybe they'd do it in reverse, for an upcharge over the regular L12.)  might save time/money.

i wouldn't worry about any issues w/using a splitter, unless your output impedance of your preamp (or source) is more than 1.5k.  typically, you want to make sure that your output impedance is 1/10th the input impedance of the amps.  using a splitter will effectively be reducing the input impedance of the amps by about half.  but, your amp has input impedance of 100k, and the rythmik amps have input impedance of 30k; it's unlikely that you have a source that is more than 1.5k output impedance.  at 1.5k output impedance of your sources, the rythmik's effective 15k input impedance resulting from using a splitter will have no effect; w/the mccormack amp's effective 50k impedance, it's the same.

doug s.

I like your ideas,  Doug. I just sent an email to Rythmik detailing my situation. Would like to get the sub situation resolved.
Nick
McCormack DNA 1.0 Gold amp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Antelope Audio Gold dac
Auralic Aries Mini - Tidal
Roon Labs (upsampling to 24/192
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline rollo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »
  I agree with Doug an excellent sub for your consideration.

charles
Home demo.
 contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2018, 11:17:11 AM »
Nick, when you talk to Rythmik ask them about their 8" sub/kits also.

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2018, 12:15:35 PM »
Nick, when you talk to Rythmik ask them about their 8" sub/kits also.

D, they do? I will check it out right now. Thanks!
Nick
McCormack DNA 1.0 Gold amp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Antelope Audio Gold dac
Auralic Aries Mini - Tidal
Roon Labs (upsampling to 24/192
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline shadowlight

Offline doug s.

« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »
i didn't recommend the f8 for two reasons - for the price, you may as well get 2 L12's; and i believe it's too big for what nick wants.

doug s.