Author Topic: Exogal Comet with upgraded PS  (Read 4187 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Exogal Comet with upgraded PS
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:17:15 AM »
Some time back, an AC friend recommended I seek out the Comet as a great DAC. I still haven't been near one, but I quite accidentally discovered there's a dealer not 20 miles from where I'm staying.

Before I meander my way over there, has anyone here heard this DAC in their system, or any system? Any impressions?

Thanks.

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Exogal Comet with upgraded PS
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:55:20 AM »
Some time back, an AC friend recommended I seek out the Comet as a great DAC. I still haven't been near one, but I quite accidentally discovered there's a dealer not 20 miles from where I'm staying.

Before I meander my way over there, has anyone here heard this DAC in their system, or any system? Any impressions?

Thanks.

Michael

No and  I have yet to read any negative comments about it. Pls keep us posted and .... get over there!
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:40:49 AM »
Mike

It's amazing how many dacs are on the market these days. Everyone and their mothers has one on the market.

What dac are you using now? Need DSD?

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
  Me too oh my! Long live Aqua.  :thumb:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 03:47:29 PM »
Never heard Comet, but the technology on paper is fascinating. Let us know what you think.

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »
I got a kick from this in the User's Manual

Speaker Cables
While we realize that audio hobbyists love to experiment with various types of speaker wires, we highly
recommend against using cables that are essentially “Magnet Wire”-based construction. These are 12-
18 AWG copper cables with a lacquer coating.
We recommend against these types of cables for two reasons. First, the lacquer coating is by its very
nature very fragile. If this coating fractures and flakes off, you have the risk of a short circuit. While the
Ion PowerDAC like virtually all other amplifiers on the market today, employs a protection mechanism
against short circuits, these interruptions are annoying and the protection circuits can weaken over time
making amplifiers and PowerDACs more sensitive to going into protection under low impedance
conditions. Secondly, these types of cables are prone to having extremely high capacitance which can
cause stress on the output devices. This stress will show up in the form of the amplifier or PowerDAC
running hotter than normal which could shorten the life of your amplifier or your Ion PowerDAC.
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »
I got a kick from this in the User's Manual

That's funny hogg

Magnet wire has polyurethane insulation now and it is nearly impossible to remove without taking some copper off with it, and it's impossible to flake off by accident.

Anticables SC has a very normal 48pF/ft capacitance. Some "high end audiophile" SCs are 10x that.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 09:28:38 AM »
Mike

It's amazing how many dacs are on the market these days. Everyone and their mothers has one on the market.

What dac are you using now? Need DSD?

Emil,

Believe it or not, I have not yet ventured into DSD territory. However, once I get my Apollos to Taiwan, I will begin experimenting with it. My Gustard X20u is capable of playing up to DSD 256 (?).

I absolutely love your avatar picture BTW. It's so funny and so naughty on so many levels. Give me warning if you ever decide to change it. I'll have to drink a toast or something.  :thumb:

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 10:30:04 AM »
Michael it's funny you should say that. Just last night I was reading Emil's post when my wife walked into the room and said "What the hell is that baby doing smoking a cigarette?"  :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
Michael,

I have no problem sending DSD256 to my Gustard A20H, using HQPlayer with a Pi as an NAA. I do get a not insignificant pop when it starts playing DSD - no fun - I hope it goes away if I get a Singxer SU-1.

Exogals are supposed to rock - good luck!

-Mike

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 04:28:13 AM »
Emil,

Believe it or not, I have not yet ventured into DSD territory

Neither have I. It's just a fad like vinyl :lol:
Seriously, DSD will be a niche market IMHO. Redbook still sounds great
and plenty of music available and cheap :thumb:

This Border patrol DAC can play up to 24/96. All you will ever need.
Sounds great according to Triode Pete
http://www.borderpatrol.net/DAC.htm

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 03:31:25 PM »
Even if there was no commercial DSD available, many people would still use HQPlayer (or other software) to upsample everything to DSD anyway. The reason there are DSD-only DACs is not because of commercially available DSD recordings, but because of software upsampling. Many are reporting huge SQ improvements by sending DSD512 to their DACs instead of DSD256. I don't own any DSD but much of my listening is to DSD, upsampled via HQPlayer. Sounds Mahhhvalous.

Disregarding DSD for a second, others have great success upsampling to the same rate that their DACs upsample to anyway (8x or 16x redbook), bypassing the internal upsampling that the DAC chip does (in most cases) and performing this process in software on a powerful PC.

In either case, I like having the ability to explore these options, as they make significant SQ differences.

Or, one can trust that the one choice that the DAC mfgr picked just happens to be the one that you would have picked, for you room, system, musical taste, etc.

I just hooked Digital Amp Tommy up with a Pi running PiCorePlayer - The SQ is vastly improved relative to the SB Touch, for about 1/3 the cost.