Author Topic: New Speakers Coming my Way!  (Read 3457 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
New Speakers Coming my Way!
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:34:51 AM »
Well, it's finally happened. After a solid three years of searching and auditioning hundreds of speakers, I decided to stop chasing shadows and commit to a new pair of speakers. They are Daedalus Audio Apollos.  http://www.daedalusaudio.com/Apollo.html

Lou debuted them at Axpona last month. Last week, I drove up to Lou's workshop to listen to the Apollos, Argos, and Poseidon speakers. Wow. What an amazing time!

Honestly, I was equally thrilled with all three of the speakers, but the Apollos will probably fit my Taiwan living room better than the others.

I haven't even paid for them yet and my attention has already wandered over to which amplifier to power these puppies.  :duh
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: New Speakers Coming my Way!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 05:09:13 AM »
Congrats! :thumb:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »
Nice speakers. At a quick glance they kind of remind me of Devore Fidelity speakers. I bet they will sound nice with some kind of OTL or low watt tube amplifier or integrated.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 08:02:38 AM »
Congratulations! What amp will you be using? As I recall, you have a Don Sachs unit as well, right?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:03:40 AM »

Wow, those look awesome! Congrats Michael! Long decision process on that one. I think you considered every possibility.

Seems like the speakers are designed for tube amps, so the Sachs amp would be the obvious choice to match your preamp. If you want the ease of SS, don't skimp, as it is easy to lose refinement with "high value" transistor amps.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »
Re: Nick and Richidoo,

I do have the D Sachs Model 2 preamp, so Don's KT-88 amp is one of the top contenders for sure. I'm also curious about Line Magnetic amplifiers. I could probably buy an LM amp for a couple grand less than what they cost in the US, but I haven't looked into this yet.

As for SS amps...well, I've approached Klaus at Odyssey Audio about his absolute top of the line kick ass amp. He would be happy to sell me the 2-channel version of his personal mono amps (no space in my living room for mono amps). I like the price, but the sucker will weigh about 67 lbs! My cheap WAF approved eguipment rack would shatter under that weight, and I shudder to think of the shipping charges to Taiwan. Sigh. My buddy in Oregon urges me to get the Modwright KWA-150 (?), but it's equally heavy and more expensive. Other famous brands come to mind, but most of them are 60 to 80 pounds. (double sigh).
There are Taiwan amp manufacturers- both SS and tube - that are options. Some are actually very good quality, but they're more expensive than either Don's KT-88 or Klaus's top amp.

Luckily for me, I have a few months to decide. I already have a Nuprime ST-10 amp in Taiwan, but it's not quite at the level of the above mentioned amps. Geez. I'm even wondering if my Gustard X20u DAC is good enough. Strap me down, blindfold me, and take my credit cards away! :duh

Shit. This is how it happens, isn't it? You buy a kick ass component and suddenly realize (or imagine?) your other gear may not be up to the task. "Hello. My name is Michael, and I'm an audioholic."  :shock:
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:33 PM »
A little more about the Apollo speakers' sound:

During my recent stay in Taiwan, I got to hear some horn speakers whose designs were based on classic JBL 2-way designs. They sound fantastic both in the showroom, at an audio show and in an audiophile's home system. They lacked just two things for me - a 3D soundstage and that sweet midrange that I so love. The Apollos have that horn-like sound without the horn and have 3D soundstage galore. That's what really sold me.

Until I heard all three speakers in Lou's workshop (not ideal acoustics in that space BTW), my best speakers had been the Salk Exotica 3 speakers. I think I could have been happy with the E3s, but they lack that 'live in Michael's living room' quality that I've heard with Lou's speakers. [Live as in Saturday Night Live not I live in Oregon.]

Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline James Edward

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 04:13:27 AM »
I use large floorstanders-Legacy Focus SE- with a class A Luxman SS integrated outputting 30 wpc.
The Luxman is out of your weight/size range, but the Sugden A21SE seems to fit the bill.

https://www.sugdenaudio.com/a21se-integrated-amplifier
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 06:27:03 AM »
Michael,

I'd recommend the Onix amplifiers.

They are really good and they are local to you in Taiwan.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor