Author Topic: Spring Record Store Day 2017  (Read 7010 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Spring Record Store Day 2017
« on: April 21, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
Gents let's not forget that tomorrow (Sat 4/22/17) is Record Store Day!!!!!  :drool:

I mentioned that to my wife this afternoon and she just rolled her eyes and said "What's the big deal, in this house every day is record store day!"  :roll:

She's got a point.........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

Re: Spring Record Store Day 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 07:02:13 AM »
 :rofl:  That's funny!

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:42:04 AM »
Hi Gents

So what treasures did you all get??? My youngest is sick and I wasn't able to get out to any record stores. Now I'm looking at the ebay listings of the records I wanted and everything is almost double the price charged. I swear RSD is great for all except for the ones that missed the day. Small record shops get traffic, people sell a bunch of the records on Ebay/Amazon for significant profit, online etailers get the commissions. I'm just bitter because I lost out on The Cure Greatest Hits Acoustic LP.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:54:05 AM »
I ended up not even going. Looking at the list there was nothing that I really couldn't live without. RSD was fine when it started, but it has really soured me over the past couple of years. It is just turning out to be a profit opportunity for eBay flippers. These guys get on line outside of stores and then buy up multiple copies of the RSD albums and turning them over the next day. It is starting to get like Black Friday where if you want one of the advertised albums you need to be there right when the doors open (or on line outside the store even earlier) or all the good stuff is scooped up before you get there.

RSD was originally conceived as a way to help local brick and mortar stores get an advantage over online sellers and lately it has become more of a vehicle for online sellers to scoop up limited editions LPs and make a quick buck on them.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »
I ended up not even going. Looking at the list there was nothing that I really couldn't live without. RSD was fine when it started, but it has really soured me over the past couple of years. It is just turning out to be a profit opportunity for eBay flippers. These guys get on line outside of stores and then buy up multiple copies of the RSD albums and turning them over the next day. It is starting to get like Black Friday where if you want one of the advertised albums you need to be there right when the doors open (or on line outside the store even earlier) or all the good stuff is scooped up before you get there.

RSD was originally conceived as a way to help local brick and mortar stores get an advantage over online sellers and lately it has become more of a vehicle for online sellers to scoop up limited editions LPs and make a quick buck on them.

Hi

I'm getting soured by RSD as well. Your post reminded me of store in Hicksville that was listed as a RSD participating store. A couple of years ago I called that Hicksville store and asked them if they were participating in RSD. The guy gave me a gruff no & hung up. I later passed by to get some records and asked again and he told me was tired of RSD. People just coming in for exclusives, talking on line that they are going to just flip their haul and then leaving him with more common releases on his shelf. He had RSD stuff from a couple of years still on his shelf. He said RSD wasn't what it was.

I then saw this yesterday:

http://beardedgentlemenmusic.com/2017/04/23/record-store-day-sucks/

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:22:34 PM »
That article pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.  :roll:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9