MUSICONICA
+  AudioNervosa
|-+  Systemic Development» Digital Audio Devices» Raspberry Pi - Keepin It Real
Username:
Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi - Keepin It Real  (Read 1131 times)
richidoo
Administrator
Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

View Profile gallery
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 09:26:24 AM »

Volumio is working great. Airplay is always on, works good. Volumio sounds very good all by itself without resampling, unlike Moode. Moode has the excellent SoX resampling available which is required when using Moode in a high resolution system, imo. Volumio will be adding resampling once they find a version of MPD that is stable enough to handle the high processing demands. That made me wonder if the Moode stability issues I experience are due to having SoX resampling set to max (32 bit 354kHz,) which sounds glorious. Without Moode resampling turned on, upper mids are pretty harsh and unrealistic. The same test track (Coltrane Lazy Bird) has much smoother and realistic tenor tone, but slightly glassy cymbals, but otherwise very engaging. I don't expect perfection from a $75 digital source. But it is good enough for me at the moment.

I am using an OLD version of Sol's I-15 integrated amp. It is less resolving than the Mod-86 amps, so when I put those back in service this week, their higher resolution may expose more tonal issues with Volumio. Upgrades breed more upgrades.

At the last G2g, jtwrace brought over his SOtM sMS-200, a $600 highend, audio-optimized streamer, like uRendu. It sounded great with Anand's Mod-86 amps. So that's an option if I find the Volumio/Pi not good enough.

Volumio 2.0 has no easy way to program custom webradio stations. You have to edit the list file manually, remotely.

Volumio had resampling and webradio stations in ver 1.5, so they are supposedly in the pipeline for replacement in 2.0.
tmazz
Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....

View Profile gallery
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 02:21:04 PM »

Upgrades breed more upgrades.

Ain't that the truth.  Rolling Eyes

Remember, it's all about the music........

Nola Boxers
Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
Quicksilver Mid Monos
ARC SP-9
VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Sumiko Blue Pt. Special
EE Minmax DAC/Bluesound Node/Denon 2910
TWL Power Cords/MIT Cables
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by webtechnica.com.
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.