Author Topic: New Oppo DAC is out  (Read 3613 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
New Oppo DAC is out
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
Looks mighty fine and all for $799. The DACs are getting good AND cheap!!
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: New Oppo DAC is out
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:36:09 AM »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:51:57 AM »
But unfortuately, no MQA.  :(
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
ABC, MQA, XYZ. Have not heard it so i can't comment one way or the other, but I have not heard form anyone that it should be a deal breaker. Some people are actually avoiding it.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 04:27:24 PM »
I have my eyes on the new ProJect Dac Box DSII Ultra. Released in Europe but I haven't seen in the US although it is on the ProJect USA web site.  AK4490 chip. 1 x USB, 3 x optical and 2x coax inputs.

Three sound modes:
1) Upsamples all PCM to either 705 or 768 kHz, and all DSD inputs to 256 MHz (4x DSD)
2) Converts all PCM to DSD, either 2x or 4x depending on incoming sample rate, and all DSD to 4x DSD.
3) No upsampling for USB inputs. Spdif upsampled to 384 or 352 kHz. "DSD input format remains the same as DSD output format" - I'm pretty sure that means that the incomin DSD STAYS DSD throughout the entire process. Unlike the Sabre dacs that take all of the incoming streams, DSD or not, and converts them to some sort of 6 bit DSD type of thing before stitching it all back together. How's that for precise terminology!!

Most of the above sound modes have the option to toggle between 5 different digital filters.

Should be $800. It'll fit perfectly with my multiple Rasby Pis and HQPLayer upsampling to either 768K or 4x DSD. Yummm

Problem is that my brother is a dealer for BOTH Oppo and ProJect so I can choose either and get the family discount.

Might have to have a little DAC-off here some-day...

I'm surprised that this little DAC has gotten very little press so far.

Yes, DACs are getting cheaper and better by the second, and becoming  yesterday's news just as fast.

-Mike

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
The Oppo Sonica dac will be available at dealers (like my brother's shop) by mid-month (B&M dealers just looove when direct sales happen weeks before the dealer can buy it...), coinciding perfectly with a complete tear-down of my system and room  :duh.

At least I can check it out in-store and it'll be all toasty-warmed up by the time I finish the room again (new floor, paint, re-think treatments etc.)

I am considering crossing over from the "analog pre-amp as source selector" model to the "digital system hub" concept. I rarely play my TT anymore and am constantly picking from different 3 different digital inputs on my dac.

Anyone wanna buy a sweet CAT SL-1 Ultimate MkII pre-amp?

-Mike