Author Topic: Support your local public jazz station  (Read 2442 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
Support your local public jazz station
« on: January 19, 2017, 04:29:37 PM »
I know everyone is caught up with all the latest steaming media like Spotify, Pandora and such but one can not overlook the torch bearers, your local public jazz station.

I love my public jazz stations. Virtually commercial free and many with high speed .asx streaming for improved sound quality. And the best part is they are FREE!  :drool:

The thing I like about public jazz radio is that they actually have DJ's mixing and matching the music. I like the details about the song, what album it came from, recording date etc. Lots of good special programming like Latin Jazz, Jazz history featuring a jazz greats and more. 

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but they keep the torch.

Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Support your local public jazz station
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 07:21:20 PM »
I've been blessed to live near some really great jazz radio stations. I lived in Boston in the early 80s at the epicenter of the 80s jazz revival. There were half dozen jazz really great stations, with old school jazz DJs. Most stations played least half jazz, some 24 hours. I remember the first time I heard my own record on the radio, what a thrill! I think I was on my way register for the draft. I hope jazz is always on the radio. I know it's really spring when I hear Coltrane "My Favorite Things" on the radio.

But it's not free. Half the budget of jazz stations is federal grants. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting is on the chopping block now, so we'll see how much people really care about their "museum arts" when they have to pay cash. I know I know, it'll never happen.... nobody's gonna kill BigBird.  :roll:

Fortunately, there's enough of us in the world to keep internet jazz radio commercially viable!

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 12:40:40 AM »
The Family Trust I took over became a cornerstone member of KMHD Jazz Radio just over one month ago. Charitable donations are chosen by the primary trustee.  8)

"I remember the first time I heard my own record on the radio, what a thrill!"

I did not know this about you. Cool beans! :thumb:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:09:13 AM by mresseguie »
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »
I agree with Richadoo that it is technically not free, that it is paid for out of your taxes. But if you have to have your tax money spent on something, better public radio than a million dollar study to see if cow flatulence is contributing to global warming.  :duh

I donate to my favorite stations to help support them. You don't have to. but its not like a subscription to Spotify where no ticket, no laundry.  :(
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »
Off topic? I don't know- but it always amazes me that a local publicly supported station- WPKN 89.5 on your fm dial, does jazz shows, rock shows, foreign music shows, etc., and always manages to draw me in.
There is so much good music that we've not yet heard.
I have several friends that are so genre specific, I just don't get it. Only blues, only Grateful Dead, only whatever...
And yes, I send them money. But I'm still waiting for the WPKN sweatshirt from a fundraiser three years ago.

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0