Author Topic: Subwoofer Xover to high  (Read 6773 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Subwoofer Xover to high
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
A high efficiency driver in a relatively small horn (for the wavelength) means flat 38Hz FR is a stretch. It is probably an optimistic F10 spec. The F6 (the -6dB rolloff freq) that you would use for the sub crossover freq is probably more like 45Hz. Crossovers sum flat if they cross (same amplitude) at F6, aka the -6dB frequency.

A horn's natural rolloff is -24dB per octave. That is the slope, it means it gets 24 decibels quieter when the frequency drops by one octave (cut in half.) It is important for the slope of the sub's low pass filter and the main speakers natural high pass rolloff to match in slope, so that you end up with a flat amplitude summation of both speakers thru the crossover band.  This means set the sub slope filter to 24dB. I would try the sub turned down to lowest freq, see if the FR is flat from your listening position. Room modes, mfg extension exaggeration, and tolerance of the sub filter circuit could make it work without additional filters. Don't worry about a little boost around 40-60Hz, you'll like it.

If it has flattish FR but still doesn't sound "clear" or if it sounds muddy or blurred bass, then you need to adjust phase so the sub and mains play perfectly in sync and the sound arrives to ears at the exact same time. The easiest way to ensure that is to put the sub at same distance from ears as the mains, and set sub phase to zero. If you need to hide it, then try putting it behind your listening chair and adjusting the phase delay above zero until it sounds clear again. When it's close to you then you can turn it down and reduce room mode problems and lengthen reflection times. It's a great wtg. Below 80Hz you can't tell which direction the sound comes from so behind you works fine.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Subwoofer Xover to high
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
Should be OK to try out, not a lot of $ if it doesn't work out. You are correct Emil, that the sub crossover point should be lower than the bottom end on your speakers.

According to Sound Doctor your sub should come in around 80hz, not much lower. I forget his justification but I am sure it is published online somewhere.

That might be true if you were doing a true crossover and rolling off the bass to the main amp, as it would keep the woofers in the main speaker operating more in their linear range.  But I would think that if you are feeding a full range signal into a speaker that is good down to 38Hz using a LPF set to 80 Hz would result in too much bass in the 38-80 range. How much would depend on the slopes of the filter and the speaker rolloff, but I am pretty sure it would be too much.

True, I didn't realize he was letting the mains roll off naturally. Def too much energy.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata