Author Topic: Soundbreaking  (Read 3667 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Soundbreaking
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:36:48 PM »
A new television series on PBS, definitely worth checking out, Soundbreaking. Debuts Nov. 14.

http://soundbreaking.com/

The 1st episode "The Art of Recording"  debuted tonight, and it was very, very good. Highly recommend you catch it.

http://soundbreaking.com/episodes/episode-one/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePbf3BNg20v92pIJJodiDQ

Looks like it was created by SkyTV in Britain, 8 episodes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTcwqJi76E

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Soundbreaking
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 08:04:51 PM »
A new episode is on every night this week. I assume it is 8 episodes as above.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 08:04:14 PM »
Watching it right now Rich. Interesting program indeed. I find the field of perception very interesting. The human ear "circuitry" is incredible.

I have been working on naturalness for the last 37 years. There has been some interesting findings, due to some interesting experiments I have performed, and am currently performing.

First, I think it would be good to remember, as shown in the program, that from live vocal to reproduction in one's home; that approximately half the electronics is on the recording side. From visitors, many forget this, or assume that the recording equipment is perfect.

Secondly, I have been working on what is required in one's system to produce natural "sound". This involves some interesting experiments.

This has led me into the rarified atmosphere of, well, I will let my experiments speak for themselves.

My initial experiment, years ago, involved using my 11A and its output adjustment "B" to compensate for different amplifier input impedances (Z). Being in parallel, I was able to adjust the FR in the bass region.

At more than one venue, we used a cello solo recording and I would adjust "B" until the home owner would notice a sonic difference. I was dumb founded to find the average FR deviation was some 32 udb (micro db) at 20hz. Of course the results will depend upon venue, components, resonances, and thus masking.

This led to more experimentation.

In another experiment, which I still perform, I adjust my test speaker zobel network resistance of 2 ohms by approximately .05 of an ohm increments. Clearly perceived.

Another adjustment of the speaker xover involves a 16 ohm resistor across the full range driver, with an approximately 9000 ohms (9K ohms) in parallel. Variations of the 9k resistor by less than 1 ohm are again clearly perceived.

An audiophile friend who visits fairly regularly, and I check and move the speakers by less than 1/16" increments, with side and front wall ceiling tiles by the same sensitivity. Actually, the side tiles are more sensitive to movement than the front tiles.

The conclusion I am finding that as we match more accurate individual components in one's system the reproduction becomes more natural. Matching two individual inaccurate components just does not produce as good of synergy as matching two individually more accurate components. I hope I explained that clearly.

As I stated earlier, I find the field of study very interesting. I am finding the human ear "circuitry" to be so incredibly sensitive.

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:11:50 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 11:07:32 AM »
A correction needs to be made.

I mentioned 2 ohm zobel resistance and change by .05 ohms. The .05 ohm change is the change I made to the 820 ohms in parallel with the 2 ohms.

However, let us make a larger change, say 1 ohm to the 820 ohms, so 821 ohms.

Paralleling 2 ohms with 820 ohms equates to 1.995133 ohms.

Paralleling 2 ohms with 821 ohms equates to 1.995139 ohms.

One can see how little it takes to alter the frequency response that is perceived by numerous individuals. Let me emphasize that frequency response changes are different than an spl change across the entire audio band.

Sorry about the mistake. Cheers and happy Thanksgiving.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:35:57 AM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:45:08 AM »
  Steve please expand in layman terms the output adjustment. What are you adjusting [ preamp] ? Impedance ? Output ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »
 Steve please expand in layman terms the output adjustment. What are you adjusting [ preamp] ? Impedance ? Output ?

charles

Hi Charles,

First, I always perform listening experiments on my components so as to absolutely minimize output to input deviations. The 11A took me 3 1/2 years of testing to get and make sure it is right.

Every preamplifier has a load setting that is optimum for the most natural and accurate response. I am in essence altering/adjusting the input impedance (Z) of the amplifier, but I am adjusting it at the preamps output. That way one can connect different amplifiers and adjust for the 11A to be natural, accurate, which is what I prefer.

One can also touch up their system depending upon the venue  and personal preference. It is a parallel control, nothing in series. I don't know of any other company or individual that does this. (Caveat: I am retired.)

Cheers and happy Thanksgiving.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:11:56 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:22 AM »
 BRILLIANT ! Synergy the proper way love it.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »
BRILLIANT ! Synergy the proper way love it.

charles

Thanks Charles. Interestingly, DC coupling does not necessarily mean a flat bass response when one considers the effects of the rest of the circuit/power supply.

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving.

Steve

SAS Test Phono Stage