Author Topic: RIP Leonard Haze of Y & T  (Read 1569 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
RIP Leonard Haze of Y & T
« on: October 13, 2016, 11:39:05 AM »
Kinda old news, but drummer Leonard Haze died on Sept 11th. His iconic drum playing inspired a lot of rock drummers.

Youtube: https://youtu.be/JL6FFrNJOfE

From SF Beat:

Original Y&T drummer Leonard Haze, known for his quick feet at the drum kit, died Sunday at his home in Hayward. He was 61.

Mr. Haze was a co-founder of the Oakland hard rock group, reportedly coming up with the name spontaneously in 1973, when a promoter called and wanted to book the then-unnamed band.

“He was playing the Beatles’ ‘Yesterday and Today’ record, and he had the cover on his lap,” recalled Y&T guitarist and singer Dave Meniketti. “He told us later, ‘Hey, I’ve got a gig and I just named the band.’”

Mr. Haze stayed with the band until 1987, playing on Y&T’s best-selling studio albums, including “Earthshaker,” “Mean Streak” and “In Rock We Trust,” while contributing to hits including “Don’t Stop Runnin’” and “Summertime Girls.” He rejoined the band for a few years in the 2000s, before parting ways with Y&T in 2006 and being replaced by drummer Mike Vanderhule.

Mr. Haze also toured with Deep Purple vocalist Ian Gillan in the 1990s. He formed his band HazeXperience several years ago.

Mr. Haze battled for years with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which made it difficult for him to breathe, but continued to perform in recent years with an oxygen tank nearby — and managed to still play with ferocity.

He sat in with Y&T for several songs at two recent Fillmore shows, explaining that he never got to play at the historic venue when he was with the band. His last performance was on Aug. 20 at the Quarter Note in Sunnyvale, said HazeXperience singer Jeffrey Winslow.

Mr. Haze also contributed extensively to a Y&T documentary that is set for release in 2017.

“Leonard was a good friend, a great drummer, and a true ambassador for the world of rock ’n’ roll,” Winslow said. “I’m shocked that he’s gone, but thankful I got to know him while he was here.”

Mr. Haze was probably best known in music and hard rock circles for his work on the bass drum, which could sound as if two people were playing. He formed a powerful rhythm section with bassist Phil Kennemore, who died in 2011 after a battle with lung cancer.

Meniketti said he knew Mr. Haze’s health had declined in the past year, but friends thought he had years left. Mr. Haze reportedly died in his sleep Sunday evening.

“Everyone who knows Leonard will always remember his bigger-than-life personality. He just fills a room, joking around all the time,” Meniketti said. “But as crazy as he was, he was a really intelligent guy. Once you met him and once you knew him, you’d never forget him.”

Haze is survived by his wife, Kelly.
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC