Author Topic: G2G - Nov. 12th - Princeton NJ - Start Time - 1PM  (Read 32725 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: RAVE - October 22nd - Princeton NJ - Start Time - 1PM
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 04:55:32 AM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 08:12:29 AM »
Deepak,

I plan to attend and will not bring any gear.  However, if you wish me to bring soda, etc. please let me know.

Jim

Jim,

Bring music along with you.  I will have food and drink covered.  Did you ever pick up the Tavish Design amp?

Hi Deepak,

No I haven't bought a Tavish Design amp.  Scott Reynolds and his son do make a great product.  I've heard it twice at Connecticut Audio Society meetings. 

Here's a link for anyone interested:

https://tavishdesign.com/products/minotaur
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 06:45:26 PM »
Thanks.  I plan to attend.  Will not have any such exotic gear to bring.  I can bring food.... any "prohibited" food?  Of course, it'd be easy for me to bring Chinese stuff. Say, for example, chicken..... is safe?  :rofl:

Shek

I said I won't have any exotic hi-fi gear to bring.  I'm switching gear lately.  Well, I've been playing with photography for some years, so I'm looking into some little more serious cameras, like mirrorless medium format cameras. Hasselblad.... which is like the McIntosh.  Of course just looking.  Don't want to spend $30K for just a camera body.  Now, Fuji will be coming out with a poor man's medium format camera I heard, only $10K (body only)..... 

Not spending $$ on audiophile stuff now, but may have to blow some bucks on a Fuji camera :rofl: :duh :yay2:??? Doing like what Topround is doing.

We'll have fun again at Deepak's. aa

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 08:34:05 PM »
At least photography gets you outside sometimes :thumb:
It's great to be outside and active, especially as we get older.

As we all sense our mortality these days, for me the idea of sitting in a chair listening to music, seems like a waste of precious life.
Doing something while listening to music is another story.
I have enough gear to sell to build 3 or 4 systems, sometimes I get the urge to put a system together, the urge lasts about a day.!

Shek music and music appreciation is so much more than a pile of gear, so go out there and take some pictures, pictures of life...

I rekindled an old hobby...hiking, and i guess at this moment in my life it means so much to me to be able to be outside, active and vigorous, to go to places that require a lot of effort with a big payoff!

When you take time off from the audio hobby it sort of focuses how silly it really is, it gives you perspective,  you look at all the money you spent and wasted,  selfishly,and makes you realize what is important in life, and trust me the audio hobby isn't it!
My love of music has grown exponentially, because I listen to music now, not sounds. I still have the ability to critically analyze a system, I just don't care to anymore because there are more important things to do as we get older, more important things to appreciate in life...
So maybe when you are old and cannot walk then it might be time to sit  in a chair and just listen to music, perhaps even challenge the mind and become a critical listener, but while you have life in your blood and movement in your muscles...use them to enjoy life
so get out there and capture the images that mean something to you!
Better to buy that $5K camera body and use it to live life than that $5k power cord to measure your weenie with!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 07:11:30 AM »
Topround

I'm beginning to sense a bit of condescension from you here on this forum to us who still enjoy this hobby.
It is quite possible to hike, take pictures or whatever other hobby you might have and still pursuit to joys of music and high fidelity.
What people spend their money on for their own pleasure is their business. Whatever floats their boat as they say. telling them the money they spent is a waste is quite rude.

To be honest, you needed to take a break from this hobby when you began auditioning capacitors of all things :duh

So lighten up a bit. Enjoy your hike and let us fools enjoy ourselves here in peace.
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 07:13:58 AM »
Emil,

Are you going to show up to the RAVE?

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 07:18:05 AM »
Emil,

Are you going to show up to the RAVE?

Unfortunately no. I'll be visiting my daughter at school that weekend
    --Ice Cube

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »
Unfortunately no. I'll be visiting my daughter at school that weekend

Understood, family first.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 06:52:52 PM »
capacitors? That was childs play
the choke shoot out was most memorable! Slagle winding chokes in my kitchen, now that was fun! we had 9 chokes! I bet no one else did a choke shootout,,,,ever!  crazy good.

Emil sorry to offend, none was intended, especially to you.

My desire to play with what is inside components is just an extension of others playing with trying different components.
What are components but a set of circuits decorated with resistors and capacitors, so changing the internals is sort of like changing components just a different level of craziness, and to be honest the designers are probably , hopefully doing this as well.!

Ah remember the good old days when we did this for fun?
The rave was a time for exploration and education and no one had any skin in the game, no one was looking for profit from their hobby, they all had jobs, and this was for fun..

I remember when my wife was pregnant with my first son, we went back to church, we felt blessed and wanted to be part of the church.
In the beginning it was great, people saw new blood and welcomed us, we felt warm, cozy and welcome into this new family of love...it was great!
Then...oh yes there is always the then....they wanted money....and more money......then the politics.....suddenly the church became a very less holy place...God was replaced by people....and profit.

This similar experience happens in audio, at least it happened to the rave, that is why the rave is dead, that is why religion is dead, except for the Muslims...who really like their religion!  with zest one can say..oh boy!

So I am not trying to rain on anyones parade here, of course you all have the right to spend, do, not spend, not do, whatever you like, without anyone judging you, and I am not judging anyone, God I have been to the mountain myself! I just want to offer a different perspective, offered by one who has been to the mountain. No pun intended, and do you like how I used you all, I like that, something Hillary would do...
so.... I have to take a salt bath and do some yoga right now, so when these raves become about learning about new things without the hard sell, please open your heart and invite me, because for me that is what I lament most about the raves, the fun, the comraderie, (spelling?),and the chance to learn.
Tone is something that digital cannot do, so please understand my tone is not one of condescencion, more lamentation of days gone.
Some people say the days of high end coming to an end, and to be honest they probably are, we are the last of our kind, the next generation has no interest in expensive powercords or cartridges , it is about ease of use.
So when you see the prices going thru the roof that is a sure sign it is going to end...and it ends with us...we are the last of our kind...for now
Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 04:56:57 AM »
So you're a Muslim now Mike? I knew it. That's why nobody has seen you - you grew a full beard I bet. Someone told me you were selling the Thumann's route delivering meat and starting a chicken and rice and falaffel lunch truck. This sound sneakily suspicious to me.

Deepak, watch out if a big truck with the letters PARV pulls up in front of your rave. It could be Sheik Topround with a bomb in the back.
 :roll:

Mike, the audio terrorist. Remember, just because it says GE 300B on the box doesn't mean it isn't rigged to blow up.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:40:09 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 05:53:35 AM »
I certainly wish I lived around the NY/NJ area to attend one of these events. Sounds like a great time. :D

In regard to Topround's comments, I love music and its goes with me everywhere and with everything I do.

I love drag racing and building hot rods. My garage is filled with the sounds of jazz music as I wrench away on the cars. No boom boxes allowed in the garage!  :x Good quality left overs from my house systems. The tow vehicle P/U truck) and the Galaxie both have nice sound systems to pass the hours as we cruse down the road.

So good quality music and outdoor activities can go together.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:10:07 AM by jessearias »
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 06:00:36 AM »
Pastor Topround has been to the mountain and has seen the light!

Lay hands on us preacher so that we may be saved! Cast the demon of high end audio away.

Be gone , unclean spirit. Be gone I say!

No offense taken, especially from you Topround :lol: :beer:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:11:09 AM by Emil »
    --Ice Cube

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 06:54:47 AM »
Ah remember the good old days when we did this for fun?
The rave was a time for exploration and education and no one had any skin in the game, no one was looking for profit from their hobby, they all had jobs, and this was for fun..

so when these raves become about learning about new things without the hard sell, please open your heart and invite me, because for me that is what I lament most about the raves, the fun, the comraderie, (spelling?),and the chance to learn.
Tone is something that digital cannot do, so please understand my tone is not one of condescencion, more lamentation of days gone.

Mike,

Apology in advance for quoting selected parts of your message.

I still think the rave is part of education for me (get to listen to new music), since I got a late start to listening to music on a good system around 2005 or so, when I attened the first rave @ Phil's holiday season party.  The other reason for hosting is to catchup with friends who I have not seen for a long time.  As for the "hard sell" I hope non of the raves that I have hosted has turned into a hard sell from any of the manufactures that have attended and if they did I was not aware but I would like to apologize for it.

As for the digital v/s analog discussion, I will leave it up to listner and their preferences.  Personally, I tried the analog but my listening habits (~1 hr per day) did not lend itself to ritual needed for analog.

I think you need to come join us.  The basement system is going to stay the same until midday and then we will start swapping the equipment around.  Their is a person on AC who is bringing his DIY based 4P1L based amp so he can have a listen with the Zu's.  I will have a 7297 based DIY amp and possiblely a 3118 based DIY amp also.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 08:45:31 AM »
Here is the 4P1L based amp that is going to make apperance.

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 09:28:59 AM »
 :p

I miss this shit
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.