Author Topic: Mytec Brooklyn DAC vs Schitt Gungnir Multibit DAC  (Read 5196 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
Mytec Brooklyn DAC vs Schitt Gungnir Multibit DAC
« on: August 26, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »
Got a new Odyssey Stratos Extreme on the way and now to complement it with a new DAC.

The Schitt DAC's are well reviewed by the media and those on the forum. I am considering the Gungnir Multibit.

But it seems we have a new kid on the block that is pretty hot, the Mytec Brooklyn DAC.

Any comments on which one is better? Pros/Cons?

Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: Mytec Brooklyn DAC vs Schitt Gungnir Multibit DAC
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 03:42:03 PM »
Now days, depending upon the return policies of the DAC mfgrs., you can try out more than one DAC in your own system at same time and pick the one that you think is the best.
Scotty

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:37:35 AM »
If you believe all the talk about the sonic advantages of MQA and think it will gain traction in the marketplace then the Brooklyn has a definite advantage in its ability to process MQA encoded fiiles.

It also ha balanced outputs , if you can use them, although I don't know if the Schitt does as well.

For what it's worth, the Brooklyn was written up in the latest issue of TAS (Sept '16 , Issue 265).
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 08:57:22 AM »
The Gungnir does also have balanced outs.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 07:26:08 AM »
Jesse's review of the Brooklyn DAC

I went and listened to the Brooklyn DAC at my local audio store in Madison, Wi and was greatly impressed.

The equipment used:
Parasound A21 Amp
Parasound J2 Pre
Nordost Hemdal cables
Brooklyn DAC
Bowers and Wilkins 800 series speakers
VPI Classic turntable
Audioquest power supply
The stores custom built music server (desktop)

The power section was similar to my set up at home with the Parasound equipment. The sound had great depth, clarity and space. Great nuances and fine detail. The sound made the room and equipment go away and surround you in the music.  :thumb:

I had them switch out the JC2 and B&W’s and install a P5 and a set of Golden Ear Triton 1’s. The setup now replicated my home setup pretty closely. The sound still had great clarity and detail but lacked depth and punch. The store’s owner noted it was the difference between the P5 and the JC 2 for the most part. A switch back to the JC2 restored all the punch and depth. The Triton 1’s are not as detailed as the B&W’s, but are pretty dam close. Not as big a gap as you would think. When they say borderline class A, it is certainly true in respect to the Tritons.  :thumb:

I also heard the original set up with the VPI classic turntable playing through the phono stage. The sound had great depth, clarity and space. Now I am not an expert on phono stages or turntables, so the sound I heard may be just ok to some of you. But IMHO, it sounded fantastic. :D

Well long story short, I was so impressed with the JC2, and the fact that the store made me a deal on it I could not refuse, I ended up coming home with another large expensive box. The wife always gives me that look when I come home with big boxes.  :(

I would love to tryout the Schitt DAC next to the Brooklyn to see the difference between the two. I have made arrangements with the store to test the Peachtree DACit against the Brooklyn. It should be a knock out, but who knows? The little DACit may give the Brooklyn a run for the money.  :?
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »

The wife always gives me that look when I come home with big boxes.  :(

My wife gives me that look when I come home with any size box.  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables