Author Topic: RIP Rudy Van Gelder  (Read 2666 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
RIP Rudy Van Gelder
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:36:38 PM »
The eccentric and prolific recording engineer. He did most of the Blue Note records catalog.

What's your favorite of Rudy's recordings?

and my favorite, one of the most important recordings in all of jazz:

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: RIP Rudy Van Gelder
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 07:01:15 AM »
I have countless Rudy Van Gelder engineered recordings... all of them great!

He was a pioneer!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:47:24 PM »
There's a lot of recordings in the last decade with his name on them still. I wonder how much he really did in the last few years, or was it just his studio turning those out?

What he did with Blue Note was priceless though

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »
I don't know about the last few years whether he was sick or not, but he's been active and in demand in recent years. My brother recorded a few records with him in the 90s. Eccentric was one of the words I heard.

One story I remember, Rudy setup his cheap piano on the first day for then unknown and very young Larry Goldings, then once he saw that he could play he brought out the Steinway for the next two days. Lots of funny shit like that.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 05:06:30 PM »
Article in Stereophile.com:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/rudy-birdland

about the famous 'Live at Birdland' session that Rudy recorded for BlueNote.

A little irony: Bruce Lundvall, who was the president of Blue Note Records when it was pulled out of mothballs in the early 80s to respond to Columbia's Marsalis coup, was himself in attendance at Birdland on that cold February night in 1953 as a high school teenager. He told me that the atmosphere in the gig was electric, everyone knew something very special was happening. He said the recording only captures a small part of the excitement that night, but what magic does survive on the record has influenced many people to follow jazz music as a career, both musicians and production people alike. I remember James Williams, pianist and music director of Jazz Messengers telling me a list of the famous jazz musicians he knew who were moved by that recording to become musicians. As I remember it, the list was long. He was a great storyteller like that.

My grandmother gave me a copy of it when I was 8 and just starting to play trumpet. She always picked the right gifts to inspire me. It was my first LP that I owned myself. My father thought I was too young to use it, but I played it, and his records too on the little Panasonic system stuffed inside a glass door cabinet. I sat on the floor down with the TT with the speakers way up on the top shelf.