Author Topic: Plutone  (Read 13584 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Plutone
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 11:08:31 PM »
Rich,

I'm certainly not attempting to dissuade you from buying the
Plutone. However, I can't help but notice that Troels Gravesen's QUATTRO kit shares the JA-8008 midwoofer in a two-way design. The tweeters are different. You could save enough with this kit to buy premium caps.

Just a thought.

The as yet unreleased Satori kit speaker looks appealing, too.

Michael

P.S. I'm playing with the idea of ordering a QUATTRO kit as a way to eventually upgrade to the DTQWT since it uses the same SEAS tweeter and the JA-8008.
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 09:41:19 AM »
Hi Michael,
Don't worry the price is dissuasion enough!

Quattro is a well designed speaker. The crossover is a bit complex for my taste but he has good reasons for it.

I built DTQWT-12 a few years ago (documented on AN) and I got good support from Troels during the build. The Jantzen parts are good quality, except for the the speaker binding posts. When I bought the kit I thought I could build a few of the other designs using the same mid/tweet, but when I sold the speakers the drivers went with them and I never felt the desire to go there again; until Plutone, with very simple crossover and improved version of JA8008. The mid was the best part of my DTQWT12, imo.

I've been thinking about the price of the Plutone kit and the possibly large resale loss, which has led me to thinking about trying to clone it using my Satoris and less exotic XO parts. The new JA8008HQM with single coil filter is the main draw for me anyway, and the Satoris are similar sensitivity, so shouldn't need resistors. Maybe add pro woofer for bass. It's high time I start designing my own crossovers and this seems, on the surface to be pretty straightforward.

Before I do that I'm going to finish my 3 way active dsp speakers. I have almost all the parts. It's just putting it all together by Nov 5 g2g. Then I can see which way the wind is blowing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:21:03 AM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 07:40:36 AM »
USD/EUR rising fast. Price of Plutone kit has dropped $150 since this thread started.

All the parts come from EU, so if he raises prices I'm gonna be pissed!

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 05:32:14 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a lot more information on the Plutone speakers on his website now than there was back when you brought them to our attention earlier this year? I don't recall that much, or perhaps I was too distracted(?). Dunno.

Anyway, I felt a familiar tug of interest as I read about them. Nothing will happen for a while cuz I just don't have the funds right now - though I am working on saving for a future purchase. [I'm up to about $2600 right now.] I only buy audio equipment if I have cash to pay for it.

The Plutone kit + Deuland cast Cu-Ag hybrid price of 3390.00 Euros includes a 21% Dutch sales tax. This is not included to sales outside of the EU. This drops the price to 2801.00 Euros ($2948 USD). The flat pack is 330.00/pair. Presumably, the flat pack price also includes the 21% tax, so the USD equivalent is $287.This brings the kit + flat pack price to $3235 + shipping.

When you first brought this pair to our attention, I saw the price tag and kind of freaked out because it's for a kit after all. Now I'm armed with a bit more information about these speakers; about another kit's slightly less lofty price, my imagined kit pricing of a speaker that isn't a kit, but that I lust after.

This other kit speaker called Spiritwinds was designed by Jeff Bagby using an special order AT midwoofer and a Scan Speak Be tweeter. This kit costs $1618. Pre assembled XOs would add more. I don't know anyone who would do the flat pack for me, but I do know a couple speaker cabinet makers who would charge in the neighborhood of $400 to $500 to make veneered cabinets. That puts it at close to $2200. Upgraded XOs would add $300(?) more.

My imagination kit is Jim Salk's Exotica monitors. They are not available as a kit. They cost $5995/pr. I pretend they might cost ~$4000 as a kit (?).

That's all for now. In 2 1/2 hours Taiwan will enter 2017. Time for some joy, laughter, and Kavalan Solist Cask strength Whiskey. It's amazing stuff that I picked up at Duty Free at CKS Airport for ~$96.00 (costs ~$150 in the US!).

Happy new year!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:35:01 AM by mresseguie »
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 04:27:54 PM »
I noticed Tony has added one buyer's comments and picture, but otherwise the webpage seems about the same. I think he changed some crossover pictures from the Audyn cap to the Deulund cap. Maybe more buyers are going for those.

You don't pay the VAT if you are not in EU.  :D

Plutone is definitely lustworthy. It is expensive for a kit, but it isn't really a kit as we normally think of a pile of parts to assemble yourself. The crossovers are fully assembled, matched and wired, drivers matched, stuffing cut to width. The box and final assy is really all it needs. The flat pack is a good idea. A builder in Denmark emailed me pics of the flat pack parts, looks very nice. He said the cut quality is superb. Tony has a friend with CNC to make the parts as I understand. 

Plastic cones are hit and miss for me, they can tend towards safe/boring like old Spendor and some Harbeths but the AT cone I heard in ultra high end Peak Consult Zoltans I thoroughly enjoyed. Like an open window. No paper snap, no metal brights, just nothing. Can't tell how much sizzle was missing but I didn't feel to miss anything.

Who's selling the spiritwind kit? I saw the yootoob on those a while back.

Happy New Year Michael!

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 06:53:56 PM »
"I noticed Tony has added one buyer's comments and picture, but otherwise the webpage seems about the same. I think he changed some crossover pictures from the Audyn cap to the Deulund cap. Maybe more buyers are going for those. "

I guess I was just too distracted when you first brought them to our attention. I think we were in Banff or close by at the time. That area is AMAZINGLY beautiful.

Mark at Meniscus Audio sells the Spiritwinds. He sells a good half-dozen kits that he has so far refused to place in his website. I find it odd at best and downright irritating when I'm trying to decide on my next kit. I emailed him twice October in 2015 asking about the Spiritwinds. He finally answered in December 2016! That's kind of scary.

Michael
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 10:10:22 PM »
On diyaudio.com, Tony Gee (Geenius) posted the FR/acoustic phase curves. I had seen the phase curve before, but it wasn't labelled, and I just thought it was too good to be phase curve so I just ignored it. When he posted it on diy I asked him if it is acoustic phase? Yup.

Check this out:

Nothing like linear phase. It will become popular tweak someday, you can say you read it on AN first! Seeing this I'm even more eager to try these now. All my planned active speakers with computer crossover filtering is all just to get a linear phase speaker. These do it with simple passive crossovers. Yeah they are expensive, but the price of doing FIR active DSP speakers is much more.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 12:18:40 AM »
Ya know, until I travelled up to the Daedalus workshop to listen to Lou's different speakers, I had gotten pretty interested in the Plutone kit. I kept returning to it a couple times a month. I very nearly emailed Tony to ask about his thoughts of modifying the Plutone to a sealed cabinet with the low end capped at 80, 90, or even 100+Hz, and supported by Rythmik double 8" subs. It was to be a quasi-Exotica 3 but a lot less expensive.

I really like Tony's website. There's a lot of really good 'stuff' in it.

I may someday ask him this for speakers in Oregon, but for now I think I'll be quite happy with my Apollos in Taiwan. They ought to be finished soon.
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
Yeah, you'll be happy with those for sure.

A local friend is interested in doing your idea. He calls it Plutone Plus. With subs or bass woofers added to make 3 way. Not heard much from him lately, but I was hoping to get to hear his to see if I like the Plutone sound before doing my own.

I would probably let it be a 2way at first as most of the owners say it is enough for music listening. My 6" are almost enough for me, and these are 8" woofers.  If necessary I would add front facing Aura NS18s crossed at 250. But to maintain the linear phase through that bass crossover would require DSP, and I would prefer to keep computer limited to player duties, not in the crossover.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 12:12:30 AM »
I'd like to pick your brain, Rich.

We've chatted about the Plutone. Now Tony has this Dueland Coherent Audio 8" driver he's using to create a new two-way speaker. As if that's not enough, he's also working on a three-way with a 15" woofer!

OMG! Does Tony Not sleep at night? He must know I've been accessing his website regularly for a year or more. He's deliberately toying with me because he knows damned well I start drooling at his pictures.  :drool: This must be fixed!

Tell me those are horrible sounding speaker designs, so I won't lose sleep at night. Please, someone. Help me........ :duh
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 07:11:50 AM »
My Plutone itch had returned in the last couple days. A local friend plans to buy it and build it as a 3 way with SB Acoustics 15" bass and 2way active xo to the passive Plutone above. Having a breakfast meeting to plan it this Saturday. With all that getting me excited for my own Plutone I was gonna move it forward in my building queue. I guess I better take a look at what Mr. Humble is up to lately!
Thanks for the heads up.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 07:43:28 AM »
Michael, can you post links to Tony's new projects? I don't see them on his website.
Thanks!!

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »
Michael, can you post links to Tony's new projects? I don't see them on his website.
Thanks!!

Rich,

Do make certain you're seated when you scroll down the page. The Dueland driver's magnet is immense!

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/index.html
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom