Author Topic: No mention of Volti-Border Patrol-TWL at AXPONA  (Read 7609 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
No mention of Volti-Border Patrol-TWL at AXPONA
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »
I recently received my newest issue of The Absolute Sound and it had coverage from the 2016 AXPONA show. In reading all the reviews about the show, I saw no mention of the Volti-Border Patrol-Triode Wire Labs room in the great sounding rooms comments.  :shock:

The VA-BP-TWL room IMHO, was one of the best sounding rooms at AXPONA. They mentioned the MBL room, which sounded great, ( It better for 1M in equipment) and some others which sounded good as well, but the V-BP-TWL was right up there with all those.

Is TAS biased, or just trying to promote the new stuff?   :x
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: No mention of Volti-Border Patrol-TWL at AXPONA
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:44:11 AM »
Hey Jesse,
Our Dearborn Room at AXPONA was a very large room. Unfortunately, it was easily "missed" by reviewers and attendees...

Scot Hull, from Part Time Audiophile, wrote this about the room's location...

"Unfortunately tucked away behind a wall, the Volti Crew had a tough job ahead of them. The problem wasn’t the room itself, not per se; the room was actually pretty incredible — tall ceilings, long walls, lots and lots and lots of interior space. Acoustics, liberally attacked at strategic points by room treatments from GIK Acoustics, were stellar — sonically, this was a room to kill for. The equipment, sourced from some of my favorite high-end vendors currently operating, was — at least in theory — adequate to the task. Assuming things like power and ambient noises, this should have been the best slate upon which to draw a majestic, world-shaking, symphony. The fact that this team actually over-accomplished their tasks, however, did not entail devastating audio-show victory. Sadly. No, instead, they fell victim to the hotel.

The problem, at least as far as I was able to untangle it without inserting myself, was that there simply wasn’t a clean and straightforward way to rope these straggler-rooms into the rest of AXPONA. This room, and a couple of others besides (including those unfortunates over by the auditorium), were out-of-the-way, sacrificed (if you will) to the packed tower. Attendees, perhaps naturally, took one look at the book that JD Events was handing out, and perhaps wisely, decided to tackle their time at the show strategically. Which meant “top-down”. Which meant that — without big, neon signs and a better sense of flow to the layout of the show — certain rooms were invariably and inevitably … lost.

The Volti-BorderPatrol-TWL room fell into this latter category. That, my friends, was a crime."

There are TWO AXPONA reviews from Part Time Audiophile you can read here... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/04/24/axpona-2016-axpona-2016-volti-triode-borderpatrol-produce-high-voltage-sound/

For the reasons mentioned above, we are giving up our Dearborn room next year at AXPONA and getting a standard room...

Cheers,
Pete

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »
Pete,

Its funny, when I heard the sound coming out of that room, I was drawn to it immediately.
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 12:00:26 PM »
Is TAS biased, or just trying to promote the new stuff?   Mad

Maybe if Volti Audio and Pete take out full page ads........ :roll:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 02:09:21 PM »
Maybe when the little guy gets some recognition, they avoid you on purpose, in order to force you to comply!
These are pros, this is what they do, they know who is at the show and who is not.
In life you have to pay to play. And some accept credit cards!
Fortunately the mags and reviewers are not that all powerful anymore, the internet and forums have really provided a grassroots field to grow from.
A small audio guy can do quite well with a website and some forum friends, but if the small guy wants to charge crazy prices like the big boys, then he needs the reviewers, they provide gravitas and value, at least for a little while. No Asian billionaire is going to spend crazy money on gear he believes is made in some guys kitchen, but with the approval of a big name reviewer, well it all changes then....
It can be an expensive game to play
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 03:56:27 PM »
Have to agree with Mike on this.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
Have to agree with Mike on this.

Me as well as hard as it is to believe :rofl:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »
I remember the first time Greg was displaying his speakers at a show. The sound was phenomenal and easily beat many, many rooms at that show. I think he was selling them for some ludicrous price, like $3700, to get some recognition and exposure.

I saw one reviewer I know. He has a bit of a reputation as being an asshole, so I won't mention his name, but he looks kind of like John Lennon. I dragged him into the room and made him listen to a song, then asked him what he thought these speakers cost, since they shoot well above their price point. He said "$3700", then got up and walked out of the room.

They are basically told what they are supposed to pay attention to, and great sound from a little known manufacturer is not part of that. Let's face it, the world is all about money, and this hobby has gotten out of hand price wise. Only the big boys get press anymore.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 06:27:09 PM »
This hobby really preys on our insecurities.

Over priced stuff is overpriced stuff, just look at the used market on that crazy boutique stuff, it gets killed in the used market.

You should hear Gregs latest version...much better than most stuff out there...much.
Now if he could just call it a Wilson or a Magico...then people would pay attention!
Remember when Wes was trying to sell all that crazy priced gear no one wanted...fail....it was priced to be ludicrous,  its selling point was that it was super expensive, damn who cares if it sounds like crap as long as it is expensive!
Buy a vintage motorcycle or car, buy something that will go up in value, save your money and just listen to music, because in the end you will just have a huge collection of crap no one wants anymore.
Buy an Audio Note preamp for $60 k , no one cares,in fact normal people think your an asshole, buy a used 911 and everyone wants a ride, and that 911 will go up in value, if you don't crash it!

We like to knock the reviewers, but in this case when they don't review someone we know we get pissed. Are we not playing the hand we are dealing out? If we don't give a shit about the reviewers then we should not get upset if our friends do not get good reviews, from what we see as a corrupt system.
We can't play both sides................

Greg deserves best of show at most shows, but he won't get it from the reviewers just the people who walk into his room, the real music lovers who know he is the best at the show....

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:44:48 PM by topround »
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 05:01:46 AM »
buy a used 911

That's if you can do your own maintenance and repairs otherwise I would pass :D
    --Ice Cube

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 05:47:46 AM »
even if it sits in your garage it grows in value.
 Ok yes Porsches are high to maintain from the dealer, but we don't go to the dealer do we? Unless we have tons of money then buying that 40K preamp is no big deal , like buying a 5k bottle of wine.
But we know it doesn't cost 40k to build a preamp, just like it doesn't cost 5k for a bottle of wine.These hyperinflated items need a market, the 5k bottle of wine will sell, but the audio gear?  nah....no real market for it

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 06:20:18 AM »
"But we know it doesn't cost 40k to build a preamp, just like it doesn't cost 5k for a bottle of wine.These hyperinflated items need a market, the 5k bottle of wine will sell, but the audio gear?  nah....no real market for it"
[/quote]

Great point. I read a review by Stereophile on the Golden Ear Triton Ones and it states; "Borderline Class A".  What does that mean? Do they actually shame speakers costing 2, 3 4, 5 times as much? But because they are not priced 2, 3, 4 or 5 times as much, they do not rate as class A?  :roll:

As noted in another post I read, this hobby caters to rich old guys. Well, the rich old guys are not going to be around forever.  That's why good people like Pete and Dave will have the last laugh. They price their stuff fair and will outlast the overpriced hawkers.  :D  (Just gotta keep Dave going another 40 years  :D)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:32:08 AM by jessearias »

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 06:37:56 AM »
As noted in another post I read, this hobby caters to rich old guys. Well, the rich old guys are not going to be around forever.

I think the industry knows that so thats why they are trying to get as mush as they can out of them now before they die off. The next generation has no interest.
    --Ice Cube

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 06:42:48 AM »
Ok yes Porsches are high to maintain from the dealer, but we don't go to the dealer do we?

You dont take it to Mavis Discount Tires either so it's still expensive to maintain/repair.
People spend their money the way they want.

On a side note, my brother-in-law needed a fuel filter for his VW and went to the dealer for the part. They were out of stock and told him  to go to the Audi dealer since the filter would be identical. The price at the Audi dealership was double :lol:

--Ice Cube

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 03:26:39 PM »
for shame! google it! filters all over the place at great prices, audio vw same OEM parts sources, price difference is because they can.

I just put used tires on my Mclaren 650 and I love it! driftin like crazy!, the new tires had too much grip. Besides I don't take the Mclaren out in the winter.
In regards to porsche tires,  I would go to Mavis because they would put the same exact tires on my 911 as Porsche would, just charge alot less.
Remember these are cars not alien technology,and God there are so many 911's on the road, not like a Koenigsegg,
In this regard the insecurity seeps in again, those Porsche mechanics at the dealer are so special? Ha, they used to work for Nissan before that, and Chevy before that, just regular guys that know the quirks of the car a little better than other mechanics. Hey my 911 is having starting issues, oh yeah that generation XYZ fuel pump, it was shit, it always fails, it has to be replaced with ABC pump, it was just a matter of time before yu came in with that problem, business as usual.

Ok now back to our regular programming....how did an interconnect go from $3 to $1800??????

woo hoo