Author Topic: Parasound DAC  (Read 4996 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
Parasound DAC
« on: July 08, 2016, 05:30:15 AM »
What do you think about this DAC. It sounds pretty nice and I can purchase it used pretty cheaply at the local stereo store.

Here are the specs on it. It seems to be well built with nice features.

•Analog volume control for RCA and XLR outputs
•Separate volume control for the headphone Jacks
•Digital audio connection to LightingTM jack-equipped Apple® devices (USB adapter required)
•Updated headphone amp with increased gain
•1/4" and 1/8" 24k gold plated headphone jacks
•12V input and output triggers
•Volume control lock out switch
•Premium Analog Devices AD1853 24-bit/192 kHz Digital to Analog Converter IC
•All inputs feature jitter reduction and are re-clocked and up-sampled to 422 kHz / 24 bit
•USB input for playing music from PC or Mac (driver-less for easy setup)
•Asynchronous sample rate conversion for all inputs including the USB input
•Works with any format file on your computer up to 96 kHz / 24 bit
•Optical and Coaxial digital inputs for use with any standard digital connection
•RCA unbalanced and XLR balanced analog outputs
•High current headphone output with volume control can drive any headphones from 32 to 600 ohms
•Oversized internal toroid power transformer (not a wall wart like many competitors)
•Will always power back up to the same input in the event of an AC power outage
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Parasound DAC
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 05:54:31 AM »
It's the Z-DAC, so not Halo, not John Curl circuit, although he may have consulted on the v2 version.

DA chip: http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD1853.pdf

USB controller: http://www.ti.com/product/TAS1020B

Looks pretty good, except USB input is limited to 96kHz sample rate due to USB 1.1 controller.

I've never heard it, might be great!

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
Thanks for the great information Rich,

I think I will pass on this. Looks like old technology. :(
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
Thanks for the great information Rich,

I think I will pass on this. Looks like old technology. :(

After 10 minutes, EVERYTHING in this hobby becomes old technology!  Especially digital.  
:duh :rofl: :roll: :rofl: :shock: :rofl: :?

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 09:38:32 AM »
Yeah. And most of the music I listen to is old technology too! I don't listen to anything after 1990, except Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber.  :D

On this DAC you can still play hirez 24/96 through USB, and you can play up to 24/192 through SPDIF. But no DSD unless you convert it to PCM first. Most hirez files you buy online are 24/96. Apple hi rez will be 24/96 if it ever happens. Tidal is 16/44.1, same as CDs. So it's not really THAT obsolete. Not like steam engines, bakelite and vinyl records.  :-P

If it's the right price might be worth a try. If a v3 version with USB2 comes out then you need to be very low purchase price to stay good on resale. You can email Richard Schram at Parasound (richard@parasound.com) to ask if a ZDACv3 with USB2 is coming. See if you can audition the DAC at home to be sure you like it. Parasound Z Amps are well regarded, so maybe the DAC sounds good too.

Offline sonicxtc

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 10:56:23 AM »
Hi,
I hope to help by writing from EARxperience.  :p

I bought the version ONE.
Obviously, everything depends on your system and expectations, but I will say that this is an excellent dac that entertains beyond its price point. I've been using it in my office system and it sounds great. Further, the few changes I've made to that system are readily heard running through the Parasound.

I'm not saying it's a giant killer, but it is a fine piece of gear.

That said, if you can afford a Comet Exogal, then just buy one. I think the Comet is exceptional and wish more would rally around it. There's one used on head-fi.

Good luck

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 03:23:53 PM »
Oooh that Exogal looks nice! Thanks for the tip.