Author Topic: Good Amp repair tech in Chicago area  (Read 3132 times)

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Good Amp repair tech in Chicago area
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:14:32 AM »
Hi

Scott Gramlich can't set up a Chicago shop in time so I'm in need of help. I shipped a Sumo Nine amp to a guy in Chicago and due to me rushing the packing the amp took some damage. On the outside the Sumo looks good but there may be internal damage. The guy is apprehensive in testing the amp out so I'm trying to help him find a tech.

Does anyone know of any good amp techs in the Chicago area?

The guy lives on N Orleans St Chicago, IL 60610. If there are any good techs around this area please let me know. I found Saturday Audio Exchange is near there but they have very limited hours of operation.

It was my fault that I didn't test the packaging as thoroughly so I'm trying to do what I can to help here to avoid getting bad feedback etc.

Thanks

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Good Amp repair tech in Chicago area
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 06:56:31 AM »

Maybe you should just have it shipped back to you, refund his money and have it checked here.

I'm sure this may have crossed your mind
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Good Amp repair tech in Chicago area
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 09:21:26 PM »

Maybe you should just have it shipped back to you, refund his money and have it checked here.

I'm sure this may have crossed your mind

Evening Emil

I have been thinking about the guy sending the Sumo back to me & refunding him the entire balance but the issue is the packaging. The amp took damage with the current packaging and I'm unsure if the guy will use my current packaging or something better. I can't get a read on the guy. Seems like he would want me to give him even more money on top of the refund to just re-package and ship the amp back to me.

I've offered him a $150 partial refund on a $700 purchase price. I've tried to find replacement feet for him and offered to pay for the feet to be sent to him too. I've found some techs around him and offered to pay for the initial bench fee and total repair fee to that up to a point but he will look for his own tech. I also offered my ideas on how to test out the amp. Guy is skittish all around. I've apologized profusely and explained that in my rush to get it out to him I rushed the packaging & didn't test the packing further. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy on his thoughts. Oh well. Shame on me for rushing the packaging.

Thanks for the input.