Author Topic: Solid State Preamp  (Read 12197 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Solid State Preamp
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 07:25:06 AM »
Wow! two posts in a row referring to Accuphase. I was just writing about Why I got a used one (C-11) and enjoy it. The reason for my choice is, well I guess I'm lazy and don't want the hassle of tubes. My system is on 24/7 and that just does not equate to tubes. Not having tubes doesn't bother me in the least and doesn't change my love for what I hear.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:35:47 AM by dflee »
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 09:57:43 AM »
I'm not following you on why 24/7 does not equate to tubes.  Traditionally, it has been thought that it's the turn on / off processes that limit tube life, and that most line level tubes (we are talking preamps here, no?) will last for a long, long time if running constantly.  I've been using tube equipment for over 30 years and I have never had a line tube fail.  I may have changed them out of OCD, but nothing ever failed.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 10:47:36 AM »
I'm not following you on why 24/7 does not equate to tubes.  Traditionally, it has been thought that it's the turn on / off processes that limit tube life, and that most line level tubes (we are talking preamps here, no?) will last for a long, long time if running constantly.  I've been using tube equipment for over 30 years and I have never had a line tube fail.  I may have changed them out of OCD, but nothing ever failed.

You are lucky I guess. I've had an Amperex tube turn white on me, 2 GE 5751 tubes and some Raytheon 12AU7s tubes develop hums as well. Noisy Northern Electric 12AX7 tube. Tubes can make music sound sweet but they can drive you crazy sometimes.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 08:43:18 AM »
Tubes can make music sound sweet but they can drive you crazy sometimes.

Yes they can.......

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 10:17:16 AM »
I like tube preamps because with tubes, you can tailor the sound to your liking. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of SS preamp that are excellent.  Pass Labs come to mind, but then you are stuck with that sound, IMHO.

Let's face it it's fun to roll tubes, otherwise i would probably change equipment more often.
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »
I have always had SS pre amps and they do indeed all sound different.

The best are neutral and clean sounding. Not really a bad thing when it comes to sound quality and/or delivery.  8) 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:18:29 AM by jessearias »
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC