Author Topic: Spatial Audio  (Read 5976 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Spatial Audio
« on: January 22, 2016, 09:42:52 AM »
  It appears a new OB design is making some news. Very interesting. Liking the M2 Turbo and would like to hear them. Top of the line Luminence I believe are 20K

charles
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:46:50 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Spatial Audio
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
Been reading lots of good things about these speakers for the past year now. I have really grown to appreciate OB speakers and the sound field they provide. Not sure if I would ever go back to a box speaker unless I build a stand mounted 2-way just for the hell of it.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Brap

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 09:48:11 AM »
Listened to Spatial at Axpona.  I was impressed with them. Was contemplating but decided on SDFR instead.  Next project would be to make some OB with Lowther drivers when I get the $$$ and time.  Golf season is around the corner!! :thumb:
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:37:44 AM »
I'm curious about Open Baffle speakers like the Spatial ones too. My last experience with Open Baffle speakers was years ago and it was a so so one. The speakers I listened to were AudioNirvana 10" full range speakers in a custom square baffle and when powered by a tube integrated in a very small space sounded wonderful. I tried them in my slightly basement with a solid state amp at the time and the sound stage was sagging below my ears. Not very good sounding.

I like the Spatial OBs because they don't have such a wide baffle. Are they SS amp friendly or do they require quality low watt tube amp power?

Offline Brap

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 10:41:55 AM »
If I recall correctly, these were SS powered.  See pic of what I listened to.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline Brap

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:43:23 AM »
But the Lowthers sounded very nice too and were SS powered.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 11:17:10 AM »
  My favorite OB speakers are from GR research. Super V . Then BG Radia Neo 10 drivers.[ no longer available ].
   The Lowthers beam at me. Good as they are I cannot live with beaming.
     The Luminesence line goes down to 16Hz but 20K oh my ! What I like about the M-2 turbo is no sub required and if still required then GR Research OB subs of course.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Brap

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
Thanks for the post.  I will have to keep that in mind when I decide to build OB's in the future. I am intrigued by the concept but these were not a nice as my SDFR Druids, ut the concept is cool
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 11:55:38 AM »
Top of the line Luminence I believe are 20K

20k? That's JBtrio's neighborhood :lol:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline KLH007

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 03:53:21 PM »
Here is my report I did for EnjoyTheMusic for the 2014 RMAF:
Spatial and Red Dragon
Clayton Shaw showed a pair of open baffle speakers, Spatial Hologram M1s ($4,000/pr) in a modest system that had an Apple MacBook, Prism Lyra 1 DAC ($2250), and a Red Dragon S500 ($1995), with some GIK room treatments. The system was open, clear, had great bass (I'm starting to dig how OB bass sounds), and big dynamic swings. The stage with the short speakers was just fine for James Taylor, appearing at normal height, but an Orchestra had me looking down in an unfamiliar way, not bad just different. The speakers gave a big stage and no sounds stuck to them. The Holograms don't use DSP as Clayton worked with the speaker manufacturer to design drivers with characteristics perfectly suited to the application. Ryan Tew of Red Dragon tells me he switched from ICE to Pascal power modules to get even better depth of stage, smoother top end, generally easier listening, and more load independent of weird speaker impedance curves. The stereo amp is rated 250 Wpc @ 8 Ohms, and can be bridged for double that, need more power just buy a second amp and run them bridged, great idea Ryan. To make the amp truly universal, the improved switching power supply will run on any country's grid without any changes or switches, nice engineering. A great sounding room and a superb value to boot!
I'm done with boxes, and OB or Planars just sound "better" to me. I've put my money where my mouth is and I bought a pair of Greg's GTA 2.5s.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 04:51:05 PM »
  Nice review Kemper. Yes those GTA's are VG. ENJOY!!!

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 07:40:18 AM »
Spatial not sitting still. New models coming out.

charles

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 08:13:54 AM »

I'm done with boxes, and OB or Planars just sound "better" to me.

Back to the Future... you sound just like Jon Dahlquist in the 1970s.  8)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 08:43:50 AM »

I'm done with boxes, and OB or Planars just sound "better" to me.

Back to the Future... you sound just like Jon Dahlquist in the 1970s.  8)

Have to agree, the trade off is worth it IMHO. localzation within soundstage is lost and kind of diffuse with OB but there are also many advantages. They are not easy to get right.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata