Author Topic: Transport vs Computer  (Read 4439 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Transport vs Computer
« on: December 22, 2015, 08:25:29 AM »
   To date and do not get upset I have yet to hear a computer front end that beats the CEC 01 transport for Redbook CD. Or any quality transport.
   Is it free music, convenience, better tonality, Hi Rez capability, all of the above ? What ?
    Please discuss direct comparisons had. For me so far 2D and thin from computer source. Again not putting it down just not pleased yet.
    Your experiences are ??

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Transport vs Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 11:58:02 AM »
Charles,
I have the opposite experience.  I have never heard a CD, DVD or SACD transport I like more than a PC Music Server.  It really depends on the computer, DAC and how it was optimized. 

Had fun demoing that at CAF2015 in Greg's room compared to the heavily modified JVC transport he had for CD playback.

Not compared it to a CEC lately, but one person I know that had one went to a Music Server instead. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:56:11 PM »
   Interesting I guess I need to hear your rig properly set up. Optimization appears to be a big issue. hat is why I started this thread.
   Now we have two opinions to discuss. BTW I have yet to hear your  latest server in my system or another I am familiar with.

charles
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:07:21 PM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 02:41:30 PM »
Charles,
I have the opposite experience.  I have never heard a CD, DVD or SACD transport I like more than a PC Music Server.  It really depends on the computer, DAC and how it was optimized. 

Had fun demoing that at CAF2015 in Greg's room compared to the heavily modified JVC transport he had for CD playback.

Was that JVC a top loader?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »
No, it was a tray loader JVC CD Player that had been heavily modified.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:32:23 PM by HAL »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »
Charles, Are you comparing flac or wav files to transports spinning CDs?

This is an old debate that's been won in my mind. Maybe there are still a few that like cd spinning. But the industry had seen the light and is responding with gobs of file player choices.

C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 03:17:49 PM »
No, it was a tray loader JVC CD Player that had been heavily modified.  

I have a JVC all in one that uses a top loading CD player.  The only problem is it only supports toslink out. It sounds good as a transport if you can handle the toslink. It's oddly quite good.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 06:57:36 AM »
Charles, Are you comparing flac or wav files to transports spinning CDs?

This is an old debate that's been won in my mind. Maybe there are still a few that like cd spinning. But the industry had seen the light and is responding with gobs of file player choices.

C

Yes compared to both actually. What they see is money. More profit on files than actual CD's.
    If I decide to go computer front end it would be Hal's server. Right now a CEc and Vu Deja DAC is the Cats meow for me.
     Maybe I am just an old fart who is computer challenged. Yup.
    Hal you need to hear the Vu Deja DAC. When the production model with the exposed tubes is done coming your way.

charles