Author Topic: Cartridge for Sony PS-8750 turntable?  (Read 5637 times)

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Cartridge for Sony PS-8750 turntable?
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »
So a young (compared to me :lol:) cousin, a budding audiophile into vintage gear, picked up a very good condition Sony PS-8750 turntable that he'd been seeking for a long time.

And now he's looking for a cartridge, preferably at a modest price (few hundred dollars?)

What cartridge should he look for and where should he buy it?

TIA

Rob
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
Re: Cartridge for Sony PS-8750 turntable?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 09:58:09 AM »

The Sony PS-8750 features a direct-drive servo motor that brings the turntable to nominal speed within a half revolution and provides an excellent signal to noise ratio.

A built-in brake circuit stops the turntable quickly when the stop and reject buttons are activated.

Two separate circuits are included in the servo control system of the turntable; one is the innovative Crystal Lock and the other is a conventional servo system.

The crystal control is not affected by voltage and temperature variations under varying conditions, or ageing, and maintains a precise nominal (determined) frequency.

The Crystal Lock system shows excellent initial drift and load/speed characteristics; however, manual pitch control range adjustment is available for the PS-8750 when desired, by using the alternate conventional servo system.

The frequency generator is composed of a magnetic coating inside the platter - this design feature contributes to an exceptionally low degree of wow and flutter.

The tonearm employs a highly sensitive jewelled trunnion mount for longitudinal and lateral support.

An arm pipe and shell made of carbon fibre suppresses resonance interference.

The photoelectronic circuits employed in the PS8750 eliminate the usual impact of the tonearm caused by a conventional auto-stop mechanism and permit the use of a more sensitive tonearm.

The static insulated dust cover allows correct tracing of light tracking force cartridges.

The cabinet is made from the new acoustic material SBMC and ant-vibration material is used inside the cabinet, minimising cabinet resonances and vibration, and preventing any degradation of tone quality.

Specifications

Type: semi-auto record player

Platter: 32cm aluminium alloy die-cast

Motor: AC servo-controlled motor

Drive system: direct-drive with crystal-lock control

Speeds: 33.33 and 45rpm

Pitch control: +-4%

Wow and flutter: 0.025% WRMS

S/N ratio: 70dB DIN-B

Tonearm: Statically balanced universal

Effective length: 237mm

Overhang: 15mm

Tracking force: 0 to 2.5g

Cartridge weight range: 3-10g (3-19.5g with extra weights)

Dimensions: 458 x 184 x 395mm

Weight: 14.2kg
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 10:01:51 AM »
At the lower end of the price spectrum I have always found it hard to beat the Grados. And on the plus side they have replaceable stylii, so if someone who is not really used to handling delicate phone equipment should have a little oops, they the whole cartridge is not a total loss.

Since the TT is kind of an off the beaten path model, I would try Needle Doctor. Since pretty much all they sell is cartridges they would probably be the most likely to have somebody on staff who is familiar with that model Sony and what might work (or not work with it.

http://www.needledoctor.com/

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 10:02:06 AM »
I just read on the Vintageknob that he should get an MC cart. The manual is on Vinyl Engine
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »
I reached out to members on Audiogon and this is what they said regarding the Sony PS-8750 TT?

A Nagoka at that price is very good , I think LP Gear is selling
them but they have no US distributor at present . Nagoka MP-110 is very good on Classical and at 120$ is a real bargain . Next step up is Goldring 2100 at 230$ which will unravel a symphony bit better than the Nagoka MP-110 but sounds similar, not surprising since Nagoka makes them. Both have a full robust sound pretty much across their range.
If they have a speaker that could use a bit of mid-range emphasis a Grado Red or Blue is good as well.

IMO , the various cheaper AT and Ortofons are a bit bright for classical.

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »
Jsaliga last year picked a mid-line Nagaoka and liked it but sold to buy a better cart. (He bought it from LP Gear) I've had 2 diff. Goldring's. Got both for a very good price but I didn't like either and ended selling both. I don't know how it would match up with the arm but a lot of folks like AT440MLB

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT440MLB-Phonograph-Cartridge/dp/B00OQUJ1QO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450734161&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+technica+at440mla

As always YMMV

P-man
Because I am The Pumpkinking

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 06:13:44 AM »
  Good call P-man.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:18:20 AM »
At the lower end of the price spectrum I have always found it hard to beat the Grados. And on the plus side they have replaceable stylii, so if someone who is not really used to handling delicate phone equipment should have a little oops, they the whole cartridge is not a total loss.

Since the TT is kind of an off the beaten path model, I would try Needle Doctor. Since pretty much all they sell is cartridges they would probably be the most likely to have somebody on staff who is familiar with that model Sony and what might work (or not work with it.

Also I forgot to +1 this comment. When I first got back to turntables and I didn't know about this place I reached out to NeedleDoctor for cartridge suggestions on the TTs I had. They really listened to my situation and gave me some good options that didn't break the bank.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 07:37:36 AM »

Also I forgot to +1 this comment. When I first got back to turntables and I didn't know about this place I reached out to NeedleDoctor for cartridge suggestions on the TTs I had. They really listened to my situation and gave me some good options that didn't break the bank.

He da Man. Helped me. www.robyattaudio.com as well

charles
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:43:20 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.