Author Topic: Bluesound Node  (Read 31288 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Bluesound Node
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2015, 07:11:43 AM »
Ok, so I signed onto Tidal and connected my laptop to my Lampizator via USB cable. Same cable I used to connect my printer to my computer.
CD quality? Not quite. I'm thinking its the USB cable. Do you think substituting with a quality USB cable will do it or is USB inherently inferior to an RCA/SPDIF cable?
What about the server? Does the Node add something that that laptop alone is missing?

No stutter or dropouts so far, EJK

Emil,

Answer to your question on the USB cable is Yes!!. I did not believe it myself but I demoed a USB cable from Ultra-Fi in my system and it was a HUGE difference. I purchased one. I really came to appreciate how much difference it made was when I removed it from my system and went back to a cheapie cable I could not even listen to my system so I limited my sessions to Vinyl only until I got my cable back. I had similar results with a good SPDIF cable from ELCO.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
tmazz-
I'm in a funny situation regarding Tidal sound quality on the Touch vs. the Pi - As I mentioned in another thread I found that USB from my laptop sounded way better than the digital coax out from my Touch, which is what prompted me to try the Pi. Sure enough the optical out from the Pi sounds fabulous -right up there w/ the PC, easily. But I get no sound at all from the Pi via coax digital even though folks in the know say that if the optical works, the coax should too. Therefore based on these observations I'm thinking that there is something peculiar with the way the coax input in my Marantz SA8005 is interacting w/ the coax feeds I've been giving it. I even hooked the Touch back up to compare coax vs. toslink and the toslink won by a mile. Sorry for the long story but that's the reason I can't really comment on Tidal SQ - I only heard it through the compromised (for some reason) coax input of my dac .

I'd hardly give myself credit for "building a computer from scratch" as all I did was snap a plastic case on it  :rofl:.  I know absolutely nothing about Linux and was up and running in no time using one of the many ready-to-load music player packages out there.

See this is what I mean. Try this , try that . Just get a Node and be done with it ROFLMAO
With capability come some complexity (and big $ savings). Driving to the park is harder than driving across the street, but look, now you're at the park! Whatever floats yer boat  :thumb:

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2015, 08:01:47 AM »
Ok, so I signed onto Tidal and connected my laptop to my Lampizator via USB cable. Same cable I used to connect my printer to my computer.
CD quality? Not quite. I'm thinking its the USB cable. Do you think substituting with a quality USB cable will do it or is USB inherently inferior to an RCA/SPDIF cable?
What about the server? Does the Node add something that that laptop alone is missing?

Emil,

Answer to your question on the USB cable is Yes!!. I did not believe it myself but I demoed a USB cable from Ultra-Fi in my system and it was a HUGE difference. I purchased one. I really came to appreciate how much difference it made was when I removed it from my system and went back to a cheapie cable I could not even listen to my system so I limited my sessions to Vinyl only until I got my cable back. I had similar results with a good SPDIF cable from ELCO.

Thanks Jim
If I use a USB, its going to be a long one ( 10 ft) and of course expensive so that is out. I'm going to have to rely on a wireless connection between my laptop and Node. I'm sure hard wiring is the the best way but do you lose much going wireless?

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2015, 08:13:30 AM »
There are many linux distributions for audio which don't require a separate server like the Squeezebox model. Volumio is one that is very easy to install and use. Voyage MPD, Audiophile Linux, Deadbeef, HiFiBerry, Raspbian, RuneAudio and many more. These all run on "embedded hosts" which means tiny, inexpensive computer.

There are also daughterboards (called "capes") which expand the functionality of the host. For Raspberry Pi there are DAC boards that plug into the host to make a complete, self contained unit with file server/library management, client player/network remote control, and I2S DAC. It's like a DIY Sonos with better construction and sound quality than Sonos and the freedom to customize apps, filters or whatever, for about half the price of Sonos. Expandable and changable whenever a new OS, host or cape comes out.
IQ AUdio, or RPi-DAC

I like the driving to the park analogy Mike. Most SB users have had their fair share of struggle over the years, often with no good fix available. There are solutions to every imaginable issue in the linux world and many friendly people committed to growing the linux community who are happy to help. With hardware cheaper than dirt it is starting to bloom now. I think Linux will go mainstream in a couple years when people get tired of Microsoft and Apple crap and when a visionary can market Linux to the normal, non-geek youths. If someone made a linux OS that ran on iphone that could ignite it if they could penetrate the media defense of status quo.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »

Emil,

Thanks Jim
If I use a USB, its going to be a long one ( 10 ft) and of course expensive so that is out. I'm going to have to rely on a wireless connection between my laptop and Node. I'm sure hard wiring is the the best way but do you lose much going wireless?

If you use the Node you will not need at cable from the laptop to the Node. The Node will stream Tidal directly from your router. The laptop could be used to operate the node, but would only be sending control signals back an forth to it over your home network. The actual music signals from Tidal would come directly from the internet to the Node via your router. The node can connect to your router wirelessly or via a hardwired Ethernet connect. But Ethernet cables are relatively cheap (under $20 for a 25 ft cable at MicroCenter)

The Node to DAC connections are limited toslink optical only on the original Node and to a choice of toslink or spdif coax on the Node2. Neither has the option of connecting to a USB DAC.

As for any SQ difference between the wireless or wired network connection, I do not have an Ethernet cable on hand that is long enough to reach my router from where the Node sits, so I have not been able to do any direct comparisons, But it is an exercise that is on my to do list. That said, the wireless connection has been working just fine for me and I have not had any problems or reason to make me think I need to move to a hardwired connection. But it will be easy enough to test once I get my hands on a cable, and who knows, it just might sound better, so it's worth a try. I'll let you know what I find out.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2015, 09:51:23 AM »
tmazz-
I'm in a funny situation regarding Tidal sound quality on the Touch vs. the Pi - As I mentioned in another thread I found that USB from my laptop sounded way better than the digital coax out from my Touch, which is what prompted me to try the Pi. Sure enough the optical out from the Pi sounds fabulous -right up there w/ the PC, easily. But I get no sound at all from the Pi via coax digital even though folks in the know say that if the optical works, the coax should too. Therefore based on these observations I'm thinking that there is something peculiar with the way the coax input in my Marantz SA8005 is interacting w/ the coax feeds I've been giving it. I even hooked the Touch back up to compare coax vs. toslink and the toslink won by a mile. Sorry for the long story but that's the reason I can't really comment on Tidal SQ - I only heard it through the compromised (for some reason) coax input of my dac .

I'd hardly give myself credit for "building a computer from scratch" as all I did was snap a plastic case on it  :rofl:.  I know absolutely nothing about Linux and was up and running in no time using one of the many ready-to-load music player packages out there.

See this is what I mean. Try this , try that . Just get a Node and be done with it ROFLMAO
With capability come some complexity (and big $ savings). Driving to the park is harder than driving across the street, but look, now you're at the park! Whatever floats yer boat  :thumb:

When I got the Touch I compared the optical vs coax connections to my EE DAC and did not hear a significant difference. (Again that was playing Pandora, So I don't know if I would have heard a bigger difference with better source material.) But I did hear a huge difference in SQ between playing Tidal through the Touch and the Node. (And BTW I heard the same kind of sound degradation when I compared a lossless file I ripped to the original CD) This leads me to think that the digital technology in the touch has been surpassed by more modern digital circuitry, whether it be in the Node or the Pi.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2015, 11:50:04 AM »
Ohhhhhh, OK so the cable I have in 10 ft would be about $50K Lol!!  :rofl: No cable is better and cheaper.

Emil,

Thanks Jim

Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »
Been reading up about the Curious USB cable and if half of what's said about it is true then yes, it can significantly affect the sound of your system.

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2016, 11:33:30 PM »
Emil what was the outcome on this . What did you end up with ?
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2016, 04:21:42 AM »
Emil what was the outcome on this . What did you end up with ?

Its on the back burner for now
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline tmazz

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2016, 09:32:40 AM »
I upgraded the generic optical cable I was using between the Node and my DAC with a Toslink cable from Analysis Plus and am quite pleased with the results.

More details here:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=5875.msg75244;topicseen#msg75244

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2016, 05:28:44 PM »
My SB2 is behaving most of the time and if it gives me some grief, I can usually get it to work pretty quick. My concern with the Node is the ripping and tagging as I have some off the grid CDs. Any updated comments on ripping and tagging?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2016, 08:59:05 PM »
The Node is nothing but a streaming interface into your system Takes a signal form either the internet (Tidal or the like) or files from a hard drive somewhere on your home network and interfaces them via either a WiFi or Ethernet connection digitally to your DAC or on an analog basis to your audio system using it's own internal DAC. Any ripping and tagging need to be done via your computer using the software of your choice and this operation is totally independent of the Node.

Bluesound also makes another unit called the vault which contains and optical reader and a 1TB hard drive. The vault is a plug and play music server and does all of the ripping and tagging automatically for you. Unfortunately I have no first hand experience with the Vault.

However, I bought the Node from Crutchfield, and they have a guy on there tech support staff who is a Bluesound expert (I think he said he owned a vault himself). I am sure if you give them a call and say you have some pre-sale technical questions they will connect you to him. They couldn't have been more helpful when I spoke with them.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2016, 10:17:17 PM »
Thanks. I forgot about the difference between the Node and the Vault. I'll call Crutchfield as the Vegas dealer I spoke with some months ago was not very helpful. I assume you feel the smps does a nice enough job. That is a bit of a concern for me
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2016, 01:09:52 AM »
I upgraded the generic optical cable I was using between the Node and my DAC with a Toslink cable from Analysis Plus and am quite pleased with the results.

More details here:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=5875.msg75244;topicseen#msg75244

Have you tried 24/192 with this cable
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.