Author Topic: My take on the cables debate  (Read 4685 times)

Offline rollo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: My take on the cables debate
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 07:54:53 AM »
  Neither IMO. It is price of such. Not complaining about price so lets kill that thought right now.
   Back in the day 10% of system cost was suggested for cabling which started the whole shabang. Those "High End" guys strike again.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt-Arion

Offline P.I.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »
Rollo pretty much nailed it.  Of course L/C/R come into play.  So do:

Magneto electrostriction
Dissipation factor
Dielectric absorption
Jacket material
Jacket density
Velocity of propagation
Materials purity
Conductor finish
Build geometry
Length/gauge ratio
Fixing type (screw, solder, crimp, weld...)
Plug type
Plug finish

This is part of what goes into the design of "a cable that matters."  A great cable is a dynamic system and has to be approached in that manner.

Dave
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline steve

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Reference components
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
Decades, and decades ago, I performed some listening tests and the results surprised me. Wanted to see if there was a difference in ics back then, as was advertised. Kind of a different test, but somewhat simple to implement.

I made two pair of ics, same copper wire, same insulation, same capacitance, inductance, and resistance. Output impedances (Z) and input input Z of amp were approximately 2k and 100k ohms respectably. Ic capacitance ~40pf.

One pair of ics had plugs, one end plugged into my source jacks and the other end into the 10A line preamplifier jacks.

The other pair of ics was bare wire ends soldered to the source jacks (inside chassis), and soldered to a different inputs jacks on the 10A (inside).

The selector switch was used to select between the two different ics.

The sound was different, quite different between the two different ic pairs.

The entire system was common to both pairs of ics except the ic connection techniques.

I then compared two different type plugs with common termination techniques, different sound, so plugs make a difference.

I then compared two different termination techniques on same type plugs, so termination techniques also make a sonic difference.

Lastly, a listening test was devised/setup to check  ics for accuracy in absolute terms. (The small variable is the jacks that the plugs mate to.)

Ics, make a sonic difference alright. 

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:39:14 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (retired, but manufacturing "V" ics again)

SAS Audio Labs Test Phono Stage
SAS Audio 11A Preamp
SAS Audio 25 W Triode Amp
Test Spkrs
"V" ICs
10 parallel 18 ga. speaker wires