Author Topic: All in one streamer, player and storage device  (Read 12535 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: All in one streamer, player and storage device
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 05:39:06 PM »
The way it works is that you install it as a driver on the computer where the music is accessible.  Then you play the music on that computer.  The driver redirects the music over the network to the Devialet instead of playing it locally.   The Devialet is also on the network (wireless or wired).   It's actually quite slick.  But to clarify, the Devialet software on the PC is essentially just a audio driver replacement.  It has no front-end for selecting or playing the music itself.  You just use whatever your favorite player is.  I've heard it works well with JRiver, Foobar, etc... I've read very good things about using HQPlayer on the PC that is then redirected to the Devialet.  Haven't done that (yet). 

For me in my environment, using iPeng to control the Touch feeding the Devialet is a breeze and something my wife is very comfortable doing.  I'm using spdif out of the Touch into the Devialet so it is using the exceptional DAC in the Devialet. 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »
That's pretty cool, it acts like a "sound device." So you can even use browser as source content like iHeart, Pandora, etc.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 11:52:15 PM »
Mike,
The Devialet is tempting as a one box solution with so many capabilities. With SAM and tone controls among other things, have you played with the software to fine tune the sound you want? Is that possible?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 05:10:37 AM »
Nick, it very much is possible, but no I haven't.  I've only had it for a few months but I love the sound I'm getting with everything set flat.  Haven't even begun to tweak the phono section which is highly tweakable for whatever cartridge I'm using.  Just one more thing to look forward to once I get some time.   

I love that I can configure it online, download the config file to an SD card, stick it into the Devialet and turn it on.  About as easy and intuitive as you can get. 

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 11:00:44 AM »
The Devaliet have a real slick synthetic sound to them. Have you tried using it as a pre amp only? They can be used as an excellent preamp. You get that Devaliet synthetic sound with what ever power you put on it. The dealer here in town has the full line in stock.  :thumb:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 01:33:11 PM »
Been reading a lot about Devialet. Some guys love the sound and some don't. From their forums, there is dissatisfaction about the AIR streaming function still not working well and not being fixed. Also, this is still a new company and I'm concerned about long term viability. I sure would love a one box solution, though!
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 01:09:03 PM »
I have been scanning around for a SBox Touch replacement for awhile.

Love the functionality and the Touch in the main system is complemented by 3 Duets and a SBox Radio around the house.

So why look to replace it? It sounds like crap.

OK a little more detail needed - Using the EDO-enabled Touch (ethernet wired to my network), the coax out into my Marantz SA8005 sounds obviously and completely worse than USB out from an old Win 7 laptop running JRiver. Not close. So not close that I cringe to use the Touch as a source, knowing how much SQ is being left behind.

Is it a poor coax implementation in the Marantz? A super-duper USB implentation? Crappy coax out from the Touch?  IDK but in my system the Touch is simply not a suitable source to feed digits to my DAC. (I don't think the EDO-enabled USB out from the Touch works with my DAC).

If any of you are relying on the coax out from the Touch, I encourage you to try some other solution - it might be a revelation as it was for me.  (Note - I took the file(s) from my main library hard drive, copied to a USB stick and transferred to the hard drive of the laptop to try to keep the source files as close as possible to other)  (BTW USB from laptop to SA8005 sounds better than the original CD played in the SA8005 itself, go figger)

So what to get? I have my eye on the not-yet-released Sonore µRendu, which would be fed wired ethernet and put out USB to the DAC. For software, JRiver at a minimum but the µRendu can act as an HQPlayer NAA, so I'm guessing that might be the best option for a Windows family.

I'm thinking if the laptop sounds so much better than the Touch, then the µRendu/NAA route should spank the laptop. Then add in the possibility of upsampling/deconvolution etc. in HQPlayer, the addition of AQ Jitterbugs or the UpTone Regen etc. and I am hoping to be able to move the SQ of my computer audio files up by several steps for not much $$.

So I got that going for me - (Bill Murray)

-Mike

(edit - in all USB listening above, a piece of shit  cheapo 3 meter USB cable was used)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:15:29 PM by mfsoa »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
Mike,

When you say coax out, you mean digital coax to the DAC in your Marantz?  Not familiar with the Marantz but I'm surprised that what you're hearing is "obviously and completely worse" than USB out of a PC.   Just not my experience...   Running digital out into my Devialet using a Black Cat Silverstar 75 cable sounds great to these aging ears.   

I have also compared the SB Touch to iFi iDSD to headphones and thought it sounded just as good as Windows USB into the iFi. 

Now, I haved played with the EDO implementation a while back but wasn't all that happy so gave up on it (although damned if I can remember why - it was a few years ago).

I am very curious about HQPlayer and that could very well be a game changer with the right setup.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 07:11:28 AM »
MD,

I was surprised too, and I didn't think there was anything wrong with the Touch until I tried the USB.

Yes, I am referring to the coax digital out from the Touch (via one of the Black Cat cables; Touch uses Jerome linear pwr supply) vs USB via a $2 generic USB cable from many year-old stock laptop.

I tried to say that there may be some implementation issue particular to my system so as not to say that everyone must be affected similarly. Maybe my Touch is not not working 100%? I don't know. Maybe my old Acer laptop has some weirdly very good USB out? Or my network may be crummy, negatively impacting the Touch performance.

Ahh the joys of computer audio!  What storage? What OS? What connection? What player? What sampling rate? What DSP? WTF  :rofl:
But bits is bits right?  :roll:

And we thought analog was tricky  :duh

But for now I still use the Touch as my laptop moves around the house and is only occasionally connected to the main system.

Yup, intrigued by what HQPlayer might bring, esp using the DSD upconversion.

-Mike

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 07:56:12 PM »
Well, I've just purchased a new in box (older model) Antelope Audio Gold dac with it's hirez capability .... including 384.   I love my McCormack DNA Gold amp and it should be a great match. The Antelope can also be used as a  passive preamp, so no need right now to spend $$ on a Bent or Tortuga. 

So now that i will be doing some hirez, I need a streamer and nas? to be able to handle that. So my SB 2, I believe, does 16/44 only. So, with that in mind, I'd like to revisit on how to proceed. Preferably, I'd like internal storage of at least 2 TB, but an external device would be fine. I guess I could get it in a raid configuration and I could still back that up with a portable drive. Don't want to store the files on a desktop or laptop. A Mac mini has been suggested, but i don't understand the particulars on how it works. Am curious about the Aries mini, but couldn't get a return call from the tweak geek guys. The mini might need an external power supply as well. Still thinking about the music vault Emerald, but it will only do wav, flat and aiff... Whatever that is.
Also, the Emerald only does 24/192.
 Looked at SoTM, but price wise, it's more than I want to spend. Tried getting in touch with a couple of guys here on AN, but haven't heard back. New budget is $2,000 or so
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 11:22:26 AM »
Just wanted to mention that I was able to connect with Shane and he spent a lot of time discussing computer audio and giving me his thoughts about music streamers...wired vs wireless. As a result, I put a hold on buying a Music Vault device and may evaluate the Auralic Aries mini when it comes out. Thank you, Shane !!! 
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »
Shane is Da Man! :thumb:

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »
I've decided on the Auralic Aries, just waiting to hear back from Shane. Would like to get a usb 2 T hard drive in a raid configuration. Would appreciate some suggestions re brands, price, reliability etc. I won't be doing multiroom, just audio in the living room. I'll be using the Lightning app.

Also, should I be considering a good quality usb cable? Would that make any difference in this application?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS