Author Topic: Sorry guys... Been OOTL as of late...  (Read 144 times)

Offline P.I.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Sorry guys... Been OOTL as of late...
« on: November 01, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
I've been so busy with life, work, health and involvement in a political campaign that I've been absent.  No, I will not comment on the "political campaign" other than to say it is probably in a losing battle, but it was my honor to do so.

So.  Whassup!?

:thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Certifiable
Re: Sorry guys... Been OOTL as of late...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 05:20:23 PM »
I've been learning about re-wiring tonearms.  I've learned, don't do it! 
Politics is frustrating field, but one that is worth the effort. I did some volunteer work in 2016, manned a booth at the local fair.  Like tonearms, that's another thing I learned to not repeat.  But I applaud your involvement. 
TT- Technics , Vyger  / Quintet Blue, Dyna 20x2, Blackbird
Phono pre- Dodd, , Jolida
Cables- Bolder, Wywires, TWL,
Speakers- LS-9, X-Static/GR-servo
Pre-Dodd
Amp- Moscode, Dodd, Folsom
P.I. Audio diffusers
DIY corner traps

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 06:06:15 AM »
Glad things have settled down for you, Dave 👍

Now as to that rewiring project, what went wrong?

Same old stuff here...another contractor flaked out on me 😡
ICEpower 1200as2 stereo amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline S Clark

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:01:23 AM »

Rewire job.... just stuff... solder two wires, break one... solder two more, break three... lable with a sharpie, the ink rubs off when you don't notice, so you dont know where each wire goes.    Get the job done, realize one of the spring loaded pins overheated and isn't restoring. 
Had to find another pin block from a friend with lots of junk turntables, but I've now got to resolder all four wires.   I'm about 8 hours into the job and still not finished.  Had to clear the work bench (kitchen table) as guest are coming for the weekend.  I expected a couple of hours.  My problem is liking nice things, but being cheap.  The Victor TT81 that I picked up that started this project was a good buy, and the JVC tonearm that needed to be rewired was just over a hundred bucks.  Cardas wires- another $20... so I figure the project is just over $500 for a high end TT w/ decent arm.  Great!!
In the meantime, I decided to throw more money at it, so I've got a new Jelco 750E coming. When it arrives, it will be a very fine rig.   My cost has more than doubled, but it will work, and I wont regret it.  I know that spending the cash upfront is the best solution for most "projects"... but it's sooo hard when you are a real cheapskate by nature. 
And the JVC tonearm?  I'll get it finished.  I've figured out how I overheated the pin, and know how to avoid repeating the problem.  Then it can go into a homemade pod.. I've got to make one for the Jelco anyway, so why not two?   More projects.

So what are you trying to get contractors to do?
TT- Technics , Vyger  / Quintet Blue, Dyna 20x2, Blackbird
Phono pre- Dodd, , Jolida
Cables- Bolder, Wywires, TWL,
Speakers- LS-9, X-Static/GR-servo
Pre-Dodd
Amp- Moscode, Dodd, Folsom
P.I. Audio diffusers
DIY corner traps

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »

Rewire job.... just stuff... solder two wires, break one... solder two more, break three... lable with a sharpie, the ink rubs off when you don't notice, so you dont know where each wire goes.    Get the job done, realize one of the spring loaded pins overheated and isn't restoring. 
Had to find another pin block from a friend with lots of junk turntables, but I've now got to resolder all four wires.   I'm about 8 hours into the job and still not finished.  Had to clear the work bench (kitchen table) as guest are coming for the weekend.  I expected a couple of hours.  My problem is liking nice things, but being cheap.  The Victor TT81 that I picked up that started this project was a good buy, and the JVC tonearm that needed to be rewired was just over a hundred bucks.  Cardas wires- another $20... so I figure the project is just over $500 for a high end TT w/ decent arm.  Great!!
In the meantime, I decided to throw more money at it, so I've got a new Jelco 750E coming. When it arrives, it will be a very fine rig.   My cost has more than doubled, but it will work, and I wont regret it.  I know that spending the cash upfront is the best solution for most "projects"... but it's sooo hard when you are a real cheapskate by nature. 
And the JVC tonearm?  I'll get it finished.  I've figured out how I overheated the pin, and know how to avoid repeating the problem.  Then it can go into a homemade pod.. I've got to make one for the Jelco anyway, so why not two?   More projects.

So what are you trying to get contractors to do?

Well, your cheapskate intentions were quite honorable 👍 I usually have similar cheapskate intetentions. Thatís a lot to go wrong for you in that project, but ultimately your rig should produce very good sound.

As to my sad tale, we had a contractor promise to dismantle an old shower enclosure, recaulk and clean and polish the cultured marble. Naturally, he flaked out and we have a new Euro style shower enclosure sitting at the glass installers facility. I should have spent another $2200 for new tile...
Oh well....
ICEpower 1200as2 stereo amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber