Author Topic: Uptone Audio USB Regen  (Read 13456 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Uptone Audio USB Regen
« on: June 13, 2015, 05:38:51 AM »
Has anyone tried the new version of the Uptone Audio USB Regen device?  Mine arrived this week and getting it setup with the HAL MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik digital crossover. 

Going to use an Audio Alchemy HPA 1.0 and HiFiMan HE500 headphones with the system for some listening. 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Uptone Audio USB Regen
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 07:43:45 AM »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 08:16:46 AM »
Rich,
Yes, the new amber version.

Getting it all setup now.

Rich

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:30:26 AM »
It took my system to an entirely new level of enjoyment. Everything that you would expect to improve has. This should be nominated for Audio product of the Year. At $175, this is a must have product. You will never be sorry you purchased it. Amazing little piece of gear. Highest Recommendation ever. You will love what it does to your music. It truly is a spectacular component. 10 out of 10 stars. :thumb: :thumb:
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 04:40:12 PM »
So Bill, don't beat around the bush, do you like it or not?  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »
USB Regen amber connecting the MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik crossover and DAC. 

Had the USB Regen on for two days and will be listening soon.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 03:03:45 AM »
I've had my Regen 4 days now and my system volume has gone into unknown territory thanks to both the increased clarity and decreased listener fatigue. This is a must-have no-brainer product for anyone into PC audio regardless of how good you think our system audio quality might be. While the clarity gains are realized throughout the audio range, it's the mid-bass that clearly stands out.

But there are issues, mainly certain high end USB cables that can prevent your USB Dac from being recognised my the computer when the Regen is plugged into it. I happen to have 1 such USB cable in the Locus Design Nucleus USB cable. Fortunately for me, I plug my Regen into the computer and then run the Nucleus to my OffRamp 3 USB converter and I'm still getting kick butt results that better using a stock USB cable with the Regen plugged into the Off-Ramp. The Corning USB optical cable is another that has given some owners issues.

Once the Regen gets some much needed press, this product is really going to take off. I'm glad I got off the ground floor with mine, just in time for summer's crank it up sessions. It's reminding me of 12 years ago when my system was brand new,,, only better.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »
For the digitally dyslexic, can someone explain what exactly it does?
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
It takes in USB from a PC. It stores the data in memory. Then it sends the data to the DAC via a different and separate USB connection which has clean power and no system noise like does the PC. This eliminates the All The Badd Juju from the PC. 

This device also cleans up and makes USB streaming sound much better:
http://www.nightanddayaudio.com/shop/accessories/ifi-audio-micro-iusbpower/

Offline satfrat

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 03:01:43 PM »
It takes in USB from a PC. It stores the data in memory. Then it sends the data to the DAC via a different and separate USB connection which has clean power and no system noise like does the PC. This eliminates the All The Badd Juju from the PC.  

I'd love to do an A-B comparison between a linear PS and the MeanWell SMPS that's supplied with the Regen because quite frankly, the Regen sounds incredibly well with just a SMPS and I have to wonder if the audio improvement would be worth spending hundreds of dollars on a LPS, especially considering the Regen's price tag of only $175.

While I'd sure there's definitely an audio improvement, I wonder just how much better it would be? Those with bottomless pockets probably wouldn't be concerned with spending hundreds of dollars for whatever improvements they could get and neither would I for that matter.  :D

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »
I have been trying both the USB Regen and iFi iUSBPower devices in the setup.  

So for with my dspMusik, I like the iUSBPower more, as it does not soften transients and roll of the HF response as the Regen does.  The stock USB cable is to short to run between the PC and the DAC, so I use my standard Virtue Audio USB cable from the PC to Regen to reach.  No issues with the cable.

Will be trying both with a Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC and see how they compare.  Also trying a LiFePO4 battery pack with the Regen to see if that changes the results.  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:45:25 PM by HAL »

Offline satfrat

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 03:39:15 PM »
FWIW, Alex has hinted that Uptone Audio might be coming out with an affordable LPS in the coming months as their JS-2 LPS at $925 is out of the reach of many Regen owners. Of the LPS's out there, the iFi power supply is reasonably priced at $229. I'm hoping Uptone Audio can beat that.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »

Sounds very similar to what the Genesis Digital Lens did many years ago except it does it with USB interfaces.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 05:27:47 AM »
Hmmm... I have adjustable high current, low noise, linear regulated supplies that I can try as well.  Just set it for 7VDC the middle of the power supply range of the USB Regen.

Will be interesting to hear the difference with that and the LiFePO4 battery pack.

Offline jtwrace

• Seeking Help
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 05:50:55 AM »
FWIW, Alex has hinted that Uptone Audio might be coming out with an affordable LPS in the coming months as their JS-2 LPS at $925 is out of the reach of many Regen owners. Of the LPS's out there, the iFi power supply is reasonably priced at $229. I'm hoping Uptone Audio can beat that.
I have the JS-2 but I'm sure they will do it for around the cost of the REGEN or under $200.  That makes the most sense to me at least.