Author Topic: HAL MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik digital crossover  (Read 46322 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: HAL MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik digital crossover
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »
Picked up the HAL MS-3 Music Server today to get ready for CAF2016 in Rockville, MD 8-10 July, 2016.  Updated it with MathAudio Room EQ for trials in the room.

Hope to see folks there to demo the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik with the GT Audioworks planar/ribbon hybrid speakers.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2016, 03:56:25 AM »
Just got the MS-3 and dspMusik system fully integrated with Chris ACA built GR-Research LS-9 speakers.  He did the measurements needed with Pocket CLIO and I built him the block diagram needed to run the dspMusik to emulate the original passive crossover.

He is very happy with the sound quality running four Bryston 7BST's for the system driven by the dspMusik with balanced connections.

His analog preamp for analog sources goes into the A/D converters on the dspMusik. So his 1/4" tape machine and tuner are working as well. 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2017, 06:45:16 PM »
satfrat has his HAL MS-3 Music Server up and running with his DAC.  Tested it with audio files I put on the unit for checkout.

He is working on his USB hard drive to work with his JRiver install.   

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »
 :rofl: I'm 4 hours into loading up my new Seagate 1.5T hard drive with another 24 hours to go from downloading from 2 external hard drives, 15,000 albums with covers. But Rich is right, even before messing with 3 external hard drives, I gave a listen to nearly an hour of symphony that Ric lhoaded up for me to sample. With JRiver and Fidelizer (Purist), I got a good reminder of what I've been missing for the last year & a half. Still have lots of tweaking to do. I've got the top of my 6 shelf Sanus rack full of SMPS's, 7 in all. I need another Wiremold power strip and get them off my dedicated circuit instead of them all being encased by my pc audio gear. Still, the music was glorious and I had the volume 9 db from being maxxed out. Like I said, it's been awhile.  Thanks for the tasty classical treat and much thanks for the MS-3 which runs so cool considering it's fanless. I'm very impressed. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2017, 06:27:58 PM »
Robin,
Glad you are enjoying the HAL MS-3 Music Server with your system! 

Always good to hear a customer is happy with the system.  :D

Rich

Offline satfrat

« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2017, 03:40:07 AM »
It's 6:32 am and 32 hours later, my 15,000 album download is finally over but before I go to bed, just 1 tune.

Thomas Blug Band: Soul & Pepper(2009); #10. Paul's Blues.

I had forgotten how good my system can sound, it's been a long long time. Thanks Rich Hollis! :beer:

Cheerts,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
You are most welcome Robin!

Nice msg yesterday that long term use is going well and he is a happy listener.  :)

Best,
Rich

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2017, 02:33:41 AM »
I still receive nice emails from MS-1, 2 and 3 users about the sound they get from their system with it as their Music Server.  One customer has not turned his MS-1 off since he received it.   :shock:

At CAF2017 seeing Music Servers in the 4-5 digit cost range, just makes me happy to go home and turn on my MS-3 and listen to music.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
The MS-3 is a stand alone PC for music as I do not want to get into the DAC of the moment in a noisy RF environment of the machine.  Having a clean USB port and fanless chassis make it easy to upgrade as wanted.  Just load a new USB driver if the native Windows 10 one does not support it.

It has a built in DVD drive for ripping with EAC to the SSD or external USB drives.  Internal storage to SSD is getting less expensive by the day.  I can install 1TB or 2TB SSD'S in the machine over SATAIII, for fast access.  Cost depends on size of the SSD.

Foobar2000 besides being a player allows room correction with a USB mic like the Dayton Audio UMM-6 calibrated mic with simple measurements.  Once complete, all file replay is corrected for your system.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:42:52 PM by HAL »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
doug s,
The MS-3 only works with USB DACs, which now number in the probably.100's range.  I recommend minimum phase filtered style DACs

The MS-3 with 1TB is $1299 + shipping.

Offline satfrat

« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »
I too leave my MS-3 on 24/7 using JRiver MC 23. According to the Media Center, it'll take me 1.13 years to play my whole library once. so it has me wondering how many times I can play each track before my MS-3 dies? LOL

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2017, 08:19:16 PM »
Forgot to mention the HDMI or SVGA monitor, keyboard and mouse.  The Logitech K400+ keyboard works well.

Saturate, glad it keeps on making music!   :D

Offline satfrat

« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »
AWESOME music, ZERO issues Rich. Since day 1,,,,,

Offline satfrat

« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2017, 12:10:56 AM »
Actually Doug, you don't need a monitor. Windows 10 does bluetooth so really all you need is an iphone. Ifi has an affordable usb-to-spdif converter at Adorama. And the Logitech K400+wireless keyboard is also pretty cheap. In fact, the most costly component here is that built-in SSD. I went the cheaper route with a powered 10-2.0 USB hub(Amazon) and like 4 HDD's, each with separate fan 2.0 USB enclosures(EBAY) for both my main library, backup HD's and system backup HD. I have ZERO issues with gapless playback from an external HDD library.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2017, 03:57:47 AM »
Good luck with the search.