Author Topic: Core Audio Technologies, Direct Digital amp  (Read 3959 times)

Offline KLH007

• Seeking Help
Core Audio Technologies, Direct Digital amp
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:11:44 AM »
Has anyone heard or read about these computer audio products? Of particular interest to me is their Kratos III amp, it replaces a preamp/DAC/power amp. It is a direct digital amp along the lines of the NAD 390DD, but uses linear power supply. Here is an introduction;

The Kratos, unlike conventional amplifiers, handles all signal processing and amplification in the digital domain. It is a fully digital amplification design also known as a  'Direct Digital Amplifier'. The design has no A/D conversion, no analog preamp or separate amplifier. There is no analog in the signal path at all.

How it works

The pristine signal from your source is sent via SPDIF into the amplifier. The SPDIF signal is a PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) signal, which is a type of digital signal transmission. This PCM signal is converted to a Pulse Width Modulation, which is another form of square wave containing amplitude and timing information. As a PWM, the signal is reclocked, amplified in the digital domain, reclocked again, and then demodulated to drive a speaker directly. There is virtually no analog in the signal path all the way up to the binding posts.

Kratos Fully Digital Amplifier Signal Path

This technology is different from a Power DAC in so far as a Power DAC has a D/A converter and either class A/B or Class D amplifier in the same chassis. That is not a fully digital amplifier. A Class D amplifier takes an analog input, converts it to a triangle wave and then again into a square wave. In the case of a fully digital amplifier it takes a square wave at the input, converts it to a square wave, and amplifies directly. PCM to PWM conversion is far lower distortion, eliminates extra stages of D/A and A/D conversion, and provides a direct signal path for your system. With precise Jither algorithms we are able to control this PWM information and output a signal with extremely low harmonic distortion. This means you hear more of the real harmonic content and less of the noise and artificial harmonics that plague digital playback systems. It's an extremely musical, organic sound that is non-fatiguing and quite addictive to listen to!

I have heard this amp at RMAF & CAF driving Hawthorne Rainier speakers to great results, transparent, electrostat detail, no digital flavor, toe tapping PRAT, sit down and listen to music good! Ryan will be sending me a Kratos amp in March, I'll let you all know how it fares.
Kemper

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Core Audio Technologies, Direct Digital amp
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:40:11 AM »
  Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.