Author Topic: What are folks using for the Squeezebox music center  (Read 16748 times)

djdube525

What are folks using for the Squeezebox music center
« on: December 29, 2014, 06:27:41 AM »
I was making good headway getting things unpacked after our move... right about the time we were going to get our squeezebox (SB3) up and running again (hadn't used it in over a year and a half - long story) our computer crapped the bed.

Now we're up and running again (thanks Santa) and looking to get the squeezebox going again. Since the last time I played with it, there appears to be a couple alternatives now to Squeezecenter (replaced by Logitech media server?)... and then there's Softsqueeze (open source?)...

Was hoping to get some feedback on those that have tried either... is one better than the other? It's important that the music server be able to read flac files.

djdube525

Re: What are folks using for the Squeezebox music center
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 06:46:56 AM »
Whoops... I should read more... looks like softsqueeze is a player for your PC... not a server for the squeezebox. My bad.

If anyone know of any "gotchas" with the new Logitech Media Server, I'm all ears.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
Been living in the Squeezebox world since the SB3 first came out and still loving it.   I'm using the beta version of LMS 7.9 and it plays rock solid with a few very nice improvements added.

I've still got my Touch feeding the big rig and a Duet on a secondary system.  Also stream directly to my iphone often.   For a product that Logitech abandoned several years ago, it is still thriving quite nicely!

You can find quite a vibrant community at forums.slimdevices.com

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »
Dave,
No issues with me using the latest 7.7.5 version of LMS.  Is your PC going to be dedicated for LMS or it is going to do multiple duties?  If dedicated you might also want to look at Daphile, which has the LMS and also support for Squeezelite, so you can use that with a USB DAC for second setup and control it with remotes running on Android or iOS.

djdube525

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 02:32:09 PM »
Is your PC going to be dedicated for LMS or it is going to do multiple duties?  If dedicated you might also want to look at Daphile, which has the LMS and also support for Squeezelite, so you can use that with a USB DAC for second setup and control it with remotes running on Android or iOS.

Happy New Year Deepak!

The PC is a replacement for the household... so multi-duty. I'll check out Daphile and squeezelight.

As I play more and more with my Apple TV... I'm wondering why I haven't moved all of my media to a PC. Music has been done a long time ago... Working through videos now. If you add a little Denoising and Decombing to Handbrake, it sure adds a bit of time to an encoding.

FWIW... I have LMS installed now and playing music through the SB3 with no troubles... ahhhhhhhhhhh. :)

On a side note, Santa brought a JBL L8 wireless speaker. Pretty nice... sounds much better than the large Sonos speaker... and no need for a separate controller. You can stream via Airplay, DLNA, aux cable, usb, and one or two others. It's providing ambiance music for kitchen and living room. It's actually a bit better than what I was expecting.
Dave

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 04:37:37 PM »
Happy New Year Dave.

Glad to hear that stuff is working out.