Author Topic: Portable 24/192 music players  (Read 3187 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Portable 24/192 music players
« on: December 04, 2014, 06:04:48 AM »
Thinking of getting a portable hi res music player. Does anyone have experience in this area? There are 2 players I have my eye on and there is a great disparity in price but there is not a lot of online info yet. They are the Sony NWZ-17 and the Fiio X1. The sony is $300 and the Fiio is $99. I know you get what you pay for but what exactly the extra $200 is gets you, ,I am unsure.  :-s
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Portable 24/192 music players
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »
I have always been a bit leary of hi rez portable players of any kind. Not that I don't think they could sound better, but most of my portable listening is done in environments that are very hostle to music listening like railrod and subway cars. My fear is that any improvements in SQ that could be gained by listening to hi rez files would be overshadowed by all of the amient noise in the area and I would not be able to appriciate the differnce between the Hi Rez and MP3 files.  But that is just me and the way that I use my iPod. YMMV
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »
I have always been a bit leary of hi rez portable players of any kind. Not that I don't think they could sound better, but most of my portable listening is done in environments that are very hostle to music listening like railrod and subway cars. My fear is that any improvements in SQ that could be gained by listening to hi rez files would be overshadowed by all of the amient noise in the area and I would not be able to appriciate the differnce between the Hi Rez and MP3 files.  But that is just me and the way that I use my iPod. YMMV

Valid  point, however I think i would still derive some (most) benefit from the better player.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 08:20:15 PM »
Might want to add the Pono to your wishlist. I have no experience with any Hi Rez players but they're just being released and reading some good things about them.