Author Topic: High Mass vs Low Mass  (Read 7745 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
High Mass vs Low Mass
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
OK I'm back. Great week in Myrtle Beach.

Could someone explain the sonic effects of These 2 different types of connections. I guess I am old school  :-| and always thought big heavy well constructed connections were best. Thanks.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

DaveC

Re: High Mass vs Low Mass
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »
Like most things, implementation/design is far more important. There are great connectors using "low mass" design and great connectors that do not.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:15:23 PM »
There are a lot of opinions on this.  All I will say is take into account the wiring going to these connections. For instance, you're wasting money if you put Eichmann (low mass) connectors on a 16 awe wire. I wouldn't use anything larger than a 22 awg with these connectors.
Big heavy connectors will negate the reasoning for using ultra thin wiring.
In the end, the deign and quality of materials are the most important factors.
If you get a chance, read the Cable Cookbook.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »
OK I'm back. Great week in Myrtle Beach.

Could someone explain the sonic effects of These 2 different types of connections. I guess I am old school  :-| and always thought big heavy well constructed connections were best. Thanks.

It reminds me the effect locking rca's have. When tighten they tend to add tension to the sound. When left loose they relax the tension. Its the soundstage as a whole and not laser into a particular frequency.

Low mass is very much like loosened rca jacks. 
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:49:45 AM »
   Werd take it a step further and remove the locking barrels. Listen with them off and report back. Mine have been off for quite some time.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »
   Werd take it a step further and remove the locking barrels. Listen with them off and report back. Mine have been off for quite some time.

charles

I sold all my Harmonic Tech. I used to do that too.  :thumb:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:22:48 PM »
   Werd take it a step further and remove the locking barrels   

You have to be carefull when doing this.the most inprtant aspet of a connector is having a tight connection. The best materials in the world dont matter if they dont have a snug contact. The tighter the better. Some (not all) of the less than stellar locking connectors dont have a tight contact until the barrell is tightened. If you have a nice tight contact before tighting the barrell, feel free to remove it. All the barrell does is add more mass and make it look prettier.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
There are a lot of opinions on this.  All I will say is take into account the wiring going to these connections. For instance, you're wasting money if you put Eichmann (low mass) connectors on a 16 awe wire. I wouldn't use anything larger than a 22 awg with these connectors.
Big heavy connectors will negate the reasoning for using ultra thin wiring.
In the end, the deign and quality of materials are the most important factors.
If you get a chance, read the Cable Cookbook.

Ditto! Right on!

Putting high mass connectors on low mass wire is not a good idea at all, it negates all reasoning and is a poor design. It may sound OK, but mating low mass with low mass is a smarter design and in my experiences, always sounds better...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 08:56:20 PM »
Lately I have been using Electra Tube Connectors for speakers. I tried them because they had two factors I wanted, pure copper and no threads. I couldn't afford the more expensive brands that have those qualities, and I've been very happy with how these work and sound. To me they are the ultimate low mass speaker connection, just simple tapered copper tubes that slide together with tight fit, very large contact area. I still use my 5ga speaker cables with them for now, but I'd like to experiment with lower mass silver DIY SCs, if I can keep the same kinda bass control.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 07:10:38 AM »
Lately I have been using Electra Tube Connectors for speakers. I tried them because they had two factors I wanted, pure copper and no threads. I couldn't afford the more expensive brands that have those qualities, and I've been very happy with how these work and sound. To me they are the ultimate low mass speaker connection, just simple tapered copper tubes that slide together with tight fit, very large contact area. I still use my 5ga speaker cables with them for now, but I'd like to experiment with lower mass silver DIY SCs, if I can keep the same kinda bass control.

Yes, Danny Richie's Electra Tube Connectors work very well. I made a few sets with them and was able to hydraulically cold-fuse them and not use any solder.

I believe one of the "best" connectors is "no connector". Sometimes it's easy to accomplish that goal with speaker cables, as long as the cable is not too large for the binding posts...
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 08:16:46 AM »

Yes, Danny Richie's Electra Tube Connectors work very well. I made a few sets with them and was able to hydraulically cold-fuse them and not use any solder.

I believe one of the "best" connectors is "no connector". Sometimes it's easy to accomplish that goal with speaker cables, as long as the cable is not too large for the binding posts...

Could not agree more.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.