Author Topic: Computer audio can be wonderful but frustrating  (Read 5210 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Computer audio can be wonderful but frustrating
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:04:22 AM »
I have been listening to CD mostly over that past few months. Finally fired up the laptop last night to listen to some hi res files. WTF I could not get a song to play for more that a few seconds (buffer/sample setting issue) Got that solved. Then as I was ready to slip into my easy chair, I could not get the Gizmo app to connect to my server, arghhhh! After spending the better part of an hour between both issues I found info online that said i should check my firewall settings. Sure enough i go into my windows settings and corrected that. But sheesh! I don't remember changing my settings?! Anyway, all is good now but I spent more time fixing rather than listening  :duh
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Computer audio can be wonderful but frustrating
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:33:13 AM »
Jim

Computer audios just a fad....let it go.

We'll all be pining for the glory days of the plastic disc in 10 years.
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »
I don't see it as a fad, i see it as an evolving technology that will eventually be easier to use over time. For now it is not very user friendly. For example: I wanted to bypass my Cuinas USB/SPDIF converter and go laptop right into my DAC. Apparently I never downloaded the Driver for the DAC. And that does not take into account I use JRiver and JPlay and have to deal with incompatibilities with those 2 pieces of software.

Jim

Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

DaveC

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »
There are some issues with computer based music servers... the computer needs to be optimized and should be used only for audio for best results. Usually a custom or stripped-down OS would be needed. Then you have the USB or S/PDIF issues and cables to deal with, neither are really ideal for audio imo.

I ended up going with the Sony HAP-Z1ES. No computer, no digital cables, great SQ. It's not without it's own set of issues but for me the tradeoffs were worth it.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 02:51:43 PM »
Jim

I'm sure you'll be dead of cancer long before that little baby boo.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:20 PM »
There are some issues with computer based music servers... the computer needs to be optimized and should be used only for audio for best results. Usually a custom or stripped-down OS would be needed. Then you have the USB or S/PDIF issues and cables to deal with, neither are really ideal for audio imo.

I ended up going with the Sony HAP-Z1ES. No computer, no digital cables, great SQ. It's not without it's own set of issues but for me the tradeoffs were worth it.
Agree. A dedicated music server is needed, but for now this is my "do-it-all-laptop"  :D. I think eventually the devices like the Sony will get very good.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »
Jim

I'm sure you'll be dead of cancer long before that little baby boo.

Cancer? How nice of you. :roll: I hope to go quickly with a major  infarct.

Anyway, maybe I should have but a " :lol:" after my comment.

As mentioned, computer audio, IMHO, is not audiophile consumer friendly. The Sony is a step in the right direction thou.

I'll just keep picking up second hand CDs for cheap :lol:

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »
A dedicated player is really the way to go for computer audio, using a multipurpose laptop, while it works, you see the problems it can bring.
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance