Author Topic: USB Audio Enhancement Products  (Read 9359 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
USB Audio Enhancement Products
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:47:37 AM »
recently there has been a line of new products released in the subject category. In my setup I have USB ->USB/SPDIF converter to my DAC. This is because the last time I tried using USB into my DAC it wouldn't even synch because since the USB out on my laptop is so crappy ( or so i presume) Now would these new products from Schitt, ifi etc allow me to use a USB into my DAC? I don't even know if there would be any benefit of USB vs SPDIF. Thoughts?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: USB Audio Enhancement Products
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
 USB was not designed for audio. It is flawed from the start. USB 3.0 is better but still lacking.
    Give me a single box player any day can you say Esoteric or DCS or Plinius. DAC,s are Vg no doubt however cables, interfaces powercords  and transport or computer all matter big time.
    KISS baby. Keep it simple.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

DaveC

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:16:53 AM »
After getting my Sony HAP-Z1ES I agree. Part of the reason I got it is that it doesn't require a dedicated computer  / DAC with the flawed USB audio interface. USB is NOT error corrected as many believe. Errors are not resent, they are dropped or interpolated and the squarewave transmission of data has similar issues as s/pdif.

I doubt the Sony can be bettered or equaled by a computer / USB DAC combination anywhere near the price.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:47:03 AM »
Hi Jim

Do you mean the Schiit Wyrd USB tweak?

http://schiit.com/products/wyrd-usb-decrapifier

I was looking at it as well. I haven't had issues with USB outputs from my MS based laptops. I just had to set them up right on the laptop or get the appropriate drivers. An example was with the Schiit BiFrost Uber. I had to get the specific drivers to get it to work on my netbook. Was a bit of a hassle but once I got that right music was sounding fine.

I was thinking about getting the Wyrd and experimenting with it. Schiit stated you can use it with any DAC so I was going to use it with the HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC I use at work.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:49:10 AM by sleepyguy24 »

Offline rpf

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
USB was not designed for audio. It is flawed from the start. USB 3.0 is better but still lacking.
    Give me a single box player any day can you say Esoteric or DCS or Plinius. DAC,s are Vg no doubt however cables, interfaces powercords  and transport or computer all matter big time.

charles

But simple is not having to get out of one's chair to change a disc, Charles.   :rofl:

Rob
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline rpf

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
After getting my Sony HAP-Z1ES I agree. Part of the reason I got it is that it doesn't require a dedicated computer  / DAC with the flawed USB audio interface. USB is NOT error corrected as many believe. Errors are not resent, they are dropped or interpolated and the squarewave transmission of data has similar issues as s/pdif.

I doubt the Sony can be bettered or equaled by a computer / USB DAC combination anywhere near the price.

Dave, I haven't seen the DAC chip used in the Sony mentioned anywhere. Can you tell us what it is?
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:29:22 AM »
Yep thats it!

BTW, I use the Cuinas converter which i find to be very good. I guess I would be substituting one box for another :wtf:

Hi Jim

Do you mean the Schiit Wyrd USB tweak?

http://schiit.com/products/wyrd-usb-decrapifier

I was looking at it as well. I haven't had issues with USB outputs from my MS based laptops. I just had to set them up right on the laptop or get the appropriate drivers. An example was with the Schiit BiFrost Uber. I had to get the specific drivers to get it to work on my netbook. Was a bit of a hassle but once I got that right music was sounding fine.

I was thinking about getting the Wyrd and experimenting with it. Schiit stated you can use it with any DAC so I was going to use it with the HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC I use at work.

Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

DaveC

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »
So the box of Schiit probably passes the data and dumps the 5V USB power in favor of it's own power supply. Very good idea and i think ifi also has a solution with a cable that can be plugged into their own power supply.

This is the power supply:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-160962-ifi-micro-iusb-power-supply.aspx

And the cable:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-161058-ifi-gemini-usb-cable.aspx

Since the Schiit is 1/2 the price it might be worth using with the ifi USB cable or you'd need 2 conventional USB cables to use the Schiit.

MGalusha has tried the ifi and said it has greatly improved the performance of some DACs. I'd expect the same result from Schiit.

DaveC

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »

Dave, I haven't seen the DAC chip used in the Sony mentioned anywhere. Can you tell us what it is?

I haven't either....

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
Hi Jim

I know this goes against Rollo's idea of K.I.S.S. but would it be too much maybe insert the Schiit Wyrd in between the USB output from your computer and the Ciunas USB to SPDIF converter rather than replacing the Ciunas? I wonder what benefit if any you would you get if you did? Sometimes I think of this stuff as an additional level of filtering.

DaveC is right though you would need an extra USB cord. I priced  dding another USB cord to my current set-up if I got the Schiit Wyrd or something similar and I may just be better off getting the IFI Gemini USB cord.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »
   Well the one to have according to the reviewers id the Berkley USB converter. Yes $1850 retail however the Cat's meow.
   it would be interesting to compare to the Schilt or equal.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »

charles

But simple is not having to get out of one's chair to change a disc, Charles.   :rofl:

Rob

What no disc Girl ?

charles

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 01:52:49 PM »
Just got an ultrafi cable with noise filters. Sounds awesome.

Offline rpf

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »

charles

Rob

What no disc Girl ?

charles

Not in my house. I'd get told to get my a__ up.   :lol:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »

charles

Rob

What no disc Girl ?

charles

Not in my house. I'd get told to get my a__ up.   :lol:

...... and not that nicely.  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables