Author Topic: SAS Audio Labs "V" ICs special  (Read 5591 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
SAS Audio Labs "V" ICs special
« on: July 23, 2007, 08:14:17 AM »
Hi Guys,

ICs are an important part of the stereo system and minimizing all forms of distortion is very important.

There are three main areas of concern with ICs.

1) High capacitance.

2) Obtaining plugs and wire that are truly acurrate, musical, and neutral.

3) Proper termination (more touchy than one thinks).

I test by using special multiple techniques when listening (no one else uses) to find the wire, connector, and proper termination that is necessary to create a truly accurate and musical Interconnect cable. The result is truly spectacular with unbelievable tonal accuracy, transparency, depth, and soundstage.

I am having a special sale of approximately 10% off normal list price on all "V" ICs through August 15th, 2007. This includes S&H in continental USA.

Prices are:           List                   Special           Typ. Capacitance

V 1/2 meter                 $125.00            $115.00                30pf

V 1 meter                     140.00             126.00                 40pf

V 1 1/2 Meter                160.00             144.00                 60pf

V 2 meter                     180.00             162.00                 80pf

Shipping is included within the continental USA.

Normal web address for other parts: http://www.sasaudiolabs.com/price1.htm

Customer reviews: http://www.sasaudiolabs.com/connect1.htm

One can use Paypal, Money order, Cashiers check, or Personal check (please allow to clear). Use the "send money" button and email address: sasaudio@omnilec.com if ordering via Paypal.

To contact me with further questions, either PM me, or email: sasaudio@omnilec.com
Or call me: (309) 263-0736 from 1:00pm - 6pm CST

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 08:16:42 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

LKdog

Re: SAS Audio Labs "V" ICs special
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:29:26 AM »
Steve-

Are these shielded?
Thanks.

--Tony

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:04:29 PM »
Steve-

Are these shielded?
Thanks.

--Tony

Hi Tony,

No, they are not shielded. Are you having problems with RFI, or hum from phono to line preamp? If so, I recommend the Grover U8 ICs (I haven't heard or tested the new S models yet).

I have no affiliation of any kind with Grover. They are just excellent, tonally balanced ICs.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems where I live, which is about 5 miles from two megawatt TV towers. One is 2.2 megawatts visual and over 200,000 watts aurial power.

Hope this helps Tony.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 01:29:31 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »
IMO shielding has gotten completely out of hand and in a lot of applications isn't even required.

On the power cord side of things I have run several unshielded cords across each other in various configurations one of which included wrapping three cords around each other with all of them running separate pieces of equipment and time and time again there was no interference that I could measure.

Granted this isn't going to always be true but I for one am of the believe that a power cord, ic or even speaker wire that is over shielded can have more of a negative effect on a system than a positive one.

Steve, what RCA's do you use and do you make ic's using XLR's? Pictures anywhere?

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:36:51 PM »
IMO shielding has gotten completely out of hand and in a lot of applications isn't even required.

On the power cord side of things I have run several unshielded cords across each other in various configurations one of which included wrapping three cords around each other with all of them running separate pieces of equipment and time and time again there was no interference that I could measure.

Granted this isn't going to always be true but I for one am of the believe that a power cord, ic or even speaker wire that is over shielded can have more of a negative effect on a system than a positive one.

Steve, what RCA's do you use and do you make ic's using XLR's? Pictures anywhere?

I agree. The only time I have required any shielding is between the phono stage and line preamp, and even then I had to run the volume control up a ways to hear any. If someone is using an over abundance of gain, the hum would be higher, of course.
Ridding the shield can lower harmful capacitance dramatically.

I don't make any using XLRs. I don't have recent pictures as my digital camera was stolen. I will have to purchase another one. I do have a picture at my website:

www.sasaudiolabs.com/price1.htm

The picture shows my ICs with Vampire all copper/gold plated connectors. This has been superceded with Cardas Rhodiums and better terminations. (Covering can have krinkles.) Mine and the Grovers sound pretty close, so I can recommend the Grovers if one is having hum problems.

In any case, it is always good practice to keep ICs from power cords, and at right angles if possible (although I need to practice what I preach.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:01:09 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »
Thanks for the info and the fast response!  :) I must admit that I like the fact that you pay attention to the terminations you are using and have chosen IMO very good terminations to run with.

I'm also a well documented fan of Grover's ic's and your comment that yours and his are close made me curious.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:13:38 PM by Black Sand Cable »

LKdog

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:01:39 PM »
Steve-

Thanks for the reply. We met last year when I had you look at my modded Musical Fidelity A300 integrated amp about possibly adding another set of preouts.
I ended up selling that unit and use Odyssey Mono Extremes monoblocks now and an Audio Mirror PP1 preamp.
I was going to get your SAS 10A preamp, but I wimped out because I need a remote right now. :)

Anyway- I had not previously had any issues using unshielded IC's, but recently after moving some power cords and cables around I started getting a very very slight hum in the left channel. I swapped out the left IC for a shielded IC that I had laying around and the hum was gone.
I am guessing I simply need to be careful about how I position the IC's around the power cables behind my rack.

Out of curiousity-do you rewire phono cables on Turntables that presently have captured phone cables?
I have a modded Technics 1200 which sounds great, but I do get some RFI/EMI inteference from the cheap stock IC's which are attached to the unit. The cables are worn and the connectors are worn also. If I move them around a bit the hum goes away. I may even have a weak connection on one of the cables.

Maybe I will try a pair of your IC's also.

I do have some of Grover's IC's coming from the Group Buy to try out.
I am presently using RS Audio unshielded silver cables.

--Tony

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »
Steve-

Thanks for the reply. We met last year when I had you look at my modded Musical Fidelity A300 integrated amp about possibly adding another set of preouts.
I ended up selling that unit and use Odyssey Mono Extremes monoblocks now and an Audio Mirror PP1 preamp.
I was going to get your SAS 10A preamp, but I wimped out because I need a remote right now. :)

Anyway- I had not previously had any issues using unshielded IC's, but recently after moving some power cords and cables around I started getting a very very slight hum in the left channel. I swapped out the left IC for a shielded IC that I had laying around and the hum was gone.
I am guessing I simply need to be careful about how I position the IC's around the power cables behind my rack.

Out of curiousity-do you rewire phono cables on Turntables that presently have captured phone cables?
I have a modded Technics 1200 which sounds great, but I do get some RFI/EMI inteference from the cheap stock IC's which are attached to the unit. The cables are worn and the connectors are worn also. If I move them around a bit the hum goes away. I may even have a weak connection on one of the cables.

Maybe I will try a pair of your IC's also.

I do have some of Grover's IC's coming from the Group Buy to try out.
I am presently using RS Audio unshielded silver cables.

--Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes, I remember. And I am glad you solved the hum problem. Sometimes just a little thing can make a difference.

I think you will be very pleased with the Grovers. I support companies that produce superior products.

I don't do any other work except designing and manufacturing, Tony, so I won't be able to help. However, an old friend I haven't seen in years may do it. I will PM you with the details.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:02:32 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage