Author Topic: DAC For Decoding Redbook- Don't need computer audio emphasis  (Read 8004 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
DAC For Decoding Redbook- Don't need computer audio emphasis
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:02:26 AM »
I'm wondering how much excess costs are involved in getting a DAC to interface with USB jacks, DSD streaming, and the whole alphabet soup of computer audio.
I'd like a DAC that takes my CD digits to the next level, without spending needlessly on inputs and processing I'll likely never use. Any thoughts?
I just tried a Benchmark DAC2; the sound was fabulous. However, some ergonomic issues cropped up that made it a non-starter for me. (My preamp remote codes interfered with the DAC2's operation).
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline sleepyguy24

Re: DAC For Decoding Redbook- Don't need computer audio emphasis
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »
Hi

Just to be clear. You want a DAC just for decoding CD playback and no other bells and whistles for USB, DSD etc. Input wise do you want digital coax or BNC only?

If so I would say look at older Non Over Sampling DACs from yesteryear.

I was over my uncle's house helping him get his system back together and when we were done we played a bunch of CDs to see how things sounded.

He has an EAD (Enlightened Audio Designs) DSP 7000 Mk3 DAC  and the music in his system was sublime. This DAC has no USB input or decode DSD.

For me my favorite NOS DAC is a McCormack DAC-1 Deluxe.

A more recently made DAC that you can get without USB but has Toslink inputs a long with digital coax would be a Schiit Audio BiFrost or Gugnir.

In a solid state system I really liked the Schiit Audio BiFrost Uber.

Good luck with the search.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:22:41 AM »
Thanks SG,
I see no reason not to try the Schiit Gungnir. Looks like just what I'm looking for...
I'll let you know what I hear.
I should still have the Benchmark when it arrives for a little comparison.
The Schiit also has good return policy should I not care for the sound...
Thanks for the help.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:03:56 AM »
Jim why a DAC? If not into computer audio then a single box player maybe the ticket.
   Marantz, Rega, Rotel are good choices. Ayon another VG player. The new Woo Audio transport and DAC is a good choice. Dedicated to Redbook.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 06:35:46 AM »
IMO you are pulling yourself in two directions - You've been spoiled by the Benchmark and now have the taste of a high -quality >$1K dac in your head.

Yet you don't want to do much more than improve the sound of your current CDs (sorry I don't know what your CD player is or if I misread your intentions) so Charles is right maybe there is a single-box player that will do just that - But the SQ probably won't be a huge step up unless you spend some money.

So now you are in ~ $1K dac territiry again, and you won't find a new unit that doesn't do up to 24/192 if not even DSD anymore (broad generalization I know).

If you are sure you don't want future PC compatibility then yeah, look for a single box player that'll give you the SQ you want for the $ you want.  Music Direct usually has some Marantz players for sale.

But once you've done DAC it's hard to go BACK. As far as a PC is concerned I can't imagine not having ready access to internet radio to hear unlimited amounts of new (to me) music 24/7 for free.

Good luck!!
-Mike

Offline James Edward

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 05:53:29 AM »
My reason for wanting to try some DAC's as opposed to a new player is that I've already got a pretty decent one box player- Bryston BCD-1. To better this player will run me at least 3k. I have owned it for 4 years now; a lifetime for a piece of equipment in my system...
I figure I might try some new DAC that may push my sonic buttons.
However, your replies have made me rethink the redbook only decoding scenario. I have not ruled out computer based audio in the future, and it's obviously here to stay.

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline James Edward

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »
The Schiit Gungnir arrived today. First impression of the sound is open, articulate, non-strident.
The casework is topnotch.
There is very little space between R/L outs; luckily there are two sets, as my interconnects would not fit in one without some grinding.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »
my interconnects would not fit in one without some grinding.
twss

Sounds nice James. Please expound when it gets broken in  and dialed into your system.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »
  James if you like the new WOO Audio DAC is redbook only. No up sampling or filters just redbook. $1200 list.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
So... My findings so far don't make sense.

Both the Benchmark DAC2 and the Schiit Gungnir sounded ever so slightly different than the Bryston BCD-1 player.
When sitting in the sweet spot, perhaps they cast a wider, deeper soundstage. Tonally, however, I preferred the Bryston, even with it's narrower, shallower stage. A richer, more organic sound to my ears.
There is no doubt in my mind that there was more information being presented by the two contender DACs. This did not correspond in my case, to a more listenable or enjoyable sound. I suppose the high dollar DACs might combine both the tonality I like, along with that extra detail.
I don't want to disparage either unit or company. Both were prompt and courteous in the refund process. Both performed flawlessly and were built extremely well.

Associated Equipment:
AZ Crescendo speakers
Dehavilland UltraVerve 3 preamp
Bryston 4BSST2 amplifier
KCI Silkworm Plus interconnects
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
James,

Are you coming to THE Show Newport Beach at the end of May?

If so, I'd like for you to stop by our room, Atrium #220, and listen for yourself to what we have as I call one stop shop aka Onix OC103.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

DaveC

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »
I have heard the Auralic DAC at Mike G's and in my own system and as a result would consider buying a DAC that handles DSD just so you can resample your redbook files to DSD in real time... the new Sony ES music server can do that too. JRiver can do the upsampling and send to a DSD DAC as well.

With PCM you get some stridency in the high frequencies that is absent with DSD, comparing the Auralic to my Schiit was kind of ridiculous but what I noticed was a sense of ease and relaxation in the presentation, the soundstage grew much wider and deeper, and separated from the speakers to a greater degree. It sounded like my speakers got much bigger, and so did my room. It really did not sound digital, or analog, or like a format you can identify just by listening. The Auralic transformed my system from good to "holy $hit!"....

tl/dr; DSD upsampling is worth trying on your redbook CDs.  :thumb:

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:56:46 AM »
Man that Onix OC103 looks bad ass. I'm can't help but  :drool: when I look at it.

http://www.onix-hifi.com/?p=3263

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »
only 26 kg...not heavy enough

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
I got the only one in The US and I have to say...It's absolutely awesome.
We will compare this against Jeff Rowland Aesis (SP) DAC at THE SHow Newport Beach.
If my memory serves me, we did compare the former flagship Onix cd player, the XCD-50SE, and it's about 1 step below the Aesis so this new player might just be a more superior unit to the Aesis.

Will find out soon.
Man that Onix OC103 looks bad ass. I'm can't help but  :drool: when I look at it.

http://www.onix-hifi.com/?p=3263
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor