Author Topic: DAC Shootout  (Read 9426 times)

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
DAC Shootout
« on: March 14, 2014, 03:16:47 AM »
Hi Guys

All's ready for a DAC shoot-out tomorrow at Mike Lenehans place on the Gold Coast here in beautiful sunny Aus - 20-28 degrees tomorrow.  

The DAC's have all been checked and are on warming up.

Anthony came down to set the Phasure up optimally.

Mike can be seen turning the Killer on so everything is ready.

There will be three songs on each DAC - A vocal (Tony Moss was mentioned), a rock and a classical.

The DAC at the very top is the AMR with its Duelund Cast Capacitors on top.  Next is the Killer.  Next is the Phasure.  Next is the new PDX which was on playing music to ensure its run in as much as possible.  It was only finished a few days ago.

The speakers are my ML2 Limited.  Internally lined with 1/4 inch copper, a lot of inch thick cast iron bracing, external crossover connected via a special star wiring scheme, everything wired with the same Ribbonteck speaker wire, 10 gauge air coil inductors, and Duelund Cast capacitors.  Bybees bonded to the driver terminals.  ETI AMG Toppers can be seen on top of the speakers.  

The amp is a modified Prima Luna Dialogue Premium - Jupiter staked beeswax have been installed, along with Jensen electrolytics.  The DAC's will be direct connected to the amps via Ribbonflex cable.

The Phasure will be fed with its own PC via XXHighend optimised for that DAC.  The AMR and PDX will be fed via their internal USB using a special windows machine running Jriver set up for Audio and using specially designed a linear supply.  The Killer will be fed from the same computer via my Off-Ramp 4 that has recently been modified by Steve to bring it up to his best spec.  The power supply is a special very low noise supply I had constructed specially for the Off-Ramp with Bybees and other stuff - it makes a surprising difference.  

Thanks
Bill

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:51:20 AM by bhobba »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: DAC Shootout
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:13:47 AM »
Hey Bill, it's 20-18 degree here in New York as well. Unfortunately here it is 20 F, not 20C.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:03:34 AM »
   Well I'll be dammed Mike Lenehan is alive and kicking. Bill will the DACs be level matched and be able to play simultaneously ?
    Makes a fair comparison. The PDX is a fine machine and my guess closer to live than the AMR.
     Will the source be Wave or Flac ? What digital cable are you using ? BTW the speakers look great. Keep us posted.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
boy would I love to be at that shootout  :(
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:03:52 AM »
boy would I love to be at that shootout  :(

If you jump on a plane within the next half hour you might be able to make it there just in time for the start.  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline bhobba

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:12:52 AM »
Hi Guys

The shoot-out has been been completed with a surprising result.

It was suspected there was an earthing problem with one of the DAC's, and later on in the shoot-out it wouldn't even work.

I actually left with the DAC and had it checked out - nothing wrong with it - again this suggested an earthing problem at the shoot-out.

Remember over here we have a 3 plug mains with an earth.

It seems while I was away a decision was made to write up the details of the issue before all is revealed.

So patience - all will be revealed soon.

Thanks
Bill 

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 07:46:50 AM »
You guys need to get better power cords "Down under"!  :rofl:

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline bhobba

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »
Hi Guys

Issue resolved.

Nothing occurred during the shoot-out - it was with my killer DAC after.

Will post the full details shortly - but the surprising result was the new PDX won.  It was the first new one built and not even run in properly.

The scores were - low score best:

1. New PDX  - 22
2.  Phasure - 27
3.  AMR - 28
4.  Killer - 33

More detail soon.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:19:39 PM »
Hi Guys

Yes the shoot-out happened.

Everything was level matched and except for the Phasure done blind. The reason the Phasure was known is it ran off different software and a different machine and you could tell by the different mucking around in changing DAC's which it was. Because of that no attempt was made to hide which it was.

There were three tracks played on each DAC:

1. Yello - Boston Reflected
2. Leonard Cohen - Secret Life
3. LA Philharmonic - The Planets

There were 11 people that were done in 3 sessions with a max of 4 people per session. The score was 1 to 4 - 1 being the best - 4 the worst.

First. LenehanAudio PDX .......................... which received 4 first place votes
Second. Phasure........................................... which received 3 first place votes
Third. AMR DP777 inc upgrade board............Which received 2 first place votes
equal Third KillerDac......................................... Which received 2 first place votes

The second list tabulates peoples ratings from most preferred to least preferred (first to fourth) this means the lowest number wins. In this list after tabulating preferences the AMR shifts to second place and Phasure goes to third.

First Place............... LenehanAudio PDX.........................22
Second Place........... AMR DP777 inc upgrade board.......27
Third Place.............. Phasure........................................... .28
Fourth Place............ KillerDac......................................... ..33

My and an acquaintance of mine comments follow.

For me the shock was comments even I made about the Killer - harsh, lacking midrange fullness and warmth, unpleasant top end. Leonard Chohen sounded like artificially contrived electronic music. This is NOT the signature of the Killer - its very sweet and musical with an entrancing midrange. It was last spot in my ordering. Amazing - and what a leveller blind testing is.

I gave third position to the AMR - more realistic but a bit dead and lifeless - not much toe tapping PRAT.

Second place to the Phasure - which was to me was the AMR in overdrive - but with even less PRAT than the AMR - like I said the AMR in overdrive - both strengths and weaknesses. Still impressive accuracy, clarity, purity - all the hi fi terms were there in spades - except one important thing - no PRAT - no toe tapping smile that allows you to relax into the music for me.

First place to the PDX - it was simply involving - toe tapping PRAT that allows you to relax into the music - the imaging also enveloped you - seeming to go over your head and behind you.

When DAC 1 was revealed to be the Killer it was really head scratching for me. So I asked it to be put on again in the free for all after - this time with some Peggy Lee - Fever. It sounded wonderful. A number of people commented - was this the same DAC?

But we have the blind test result - and that's that. I have some conjectures why it was - but they are simply that - conjectures.

Of course it must be said anyone that chooses a DAC based on a shoot-out like this has rocks in their head.

Now my friend, Kdoots, comments:

We had three tracks played on each DAC, but the identity of the first three DACs was hidden from the listeners. I found the first DAC somewhat unpleasant, especially in the top end, lacking in mid-range warmth and fullness but impressively grippy in the bass. The second wasn't as strong down low but brought a far more pleasant and even-handed delivery across the whole range without losing any sense of detail. When the third DAC started playing I forgot about taking notes and just listened, foot tapping, face grinning. It was super engaging as well as delivering all full dose of detail, body, warmth, impact, soundstage etc etc.

Then there was the Phasure. I was extremely impressed by the digital filtering and the brilliantly clean, noise-free presentation. But it was all left-brain engagement. No grin. No tapping foot. Hmmm. But it's exactly the kind of thing I look for in a DAC and I'm pretty sure that once I got over being analytically impressed I'd relax into the music all the more.

It was a very close call, but I gave my top vote to the Phasure in the end. 4, 3, 2, 1. From the tally of all the votes most popular preference was... DAC 3! Jolly good show.

Some further comments by Kdoot:

First I want to say that when listening to the first three DACs I honestly had no idea which was which. The only thing I was comparing was the sound I heard and my reaction to it.

It is hard to identify exactly what it was which made the new PDX so enjoyable for me. One thing it didn't do was exaggerate the treble "snap", "rasp" and "shimmer" the way the Killer did in the shoot-out. The top end was all there and exquisitely detailed but it didn't over-excite or lose composure. There was also far more depth and resolution to the acoustic space than what I'm used to hearing from a PDX, especially on the orchestral track. At the same time, each instrument still had a fully convincing body to it rather than being a bit ghostly the way some "spacious" sounding DACs can do.

What caught my attention the most, though, was how my whole body responded to the music. It cut straight through my analytical filters and hit me right in the boogie nerve which DACs 1 and 2 had apparently not been able to locate. Interesting.

At that point, DAC 3 (identity still unknown) was clearly ahead of the other two by a mile as far as I was concerned. I would have rated 9.5, 8, and 5 out of 10 compared to my hopes/expectations for this collection of hardware.

Then there was the Phasure. It's different, and it sounds it. I've been spending quite a bit of time with my own 192kHz NOS DAC experimenting with different digital filtering via computer software, so I immediately felt I could identity the traits of a really well done bit of code driving some ultra-low-noise, highly resolving solid-state hardware. With that strong analytical appreciation for the quality of the sound combined with perhaps a bit of weariness from hearing the same tracks for the fourth time in a row, I didn't have the same "musical" reaction that I had with the PDX. But again because I've spent so much time in musical bliss with my own system, I suspect that with a Phasure level of performance the experience would be even more about the music and the quality of the recording and less about the contribution that the DAC can bring to the mix.

So in the end I gave the Phasure my vote for the technical success of its advanced technology, just pipping "DAC 3" which now is revealed to excel due to the high quality implementation of its more classic design.

End of Kdoots comments.

I will probably be able to post more as more peoples comments come in.

Thanks
Bill

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:36:17 PM »
Bill, was the PDX the only DAC with imaging that envelopes the listener when compared with the rest of the DACs in the shootout?
Scotty

Offline bhobba

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 01:45:43 AM »
Hi Scotty

It was the only one I personally noticed it on.  And chatting to others after its what they noticed as well.

But, as you can see from the results there was a fair bit of divergence of opinion.

And after when I heard the Killer non blind I preferred it to the new PDX on the music I listen to such as Peggy Lee - Fever.  As one of the Phasure guys said b- boring, balding 60 yo fart music - hey its what floats my boat.

Thanks
Bill

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 09:57:44 AM »
  What is wrong with Peggy Lee ? My only concern with the shoot out is the type of music used.
   How about a  live solo piano in a hall. Or violin ? Studio recordings are IMO messed with. Vocals are in a sound booth for example or a piano 12ft wide.
    Try a 30 second cut from a live recording. We have found that longer than 30 seconds the mind wanders. We use different live Cds for evaluating all from sound stage to tonality. Especially for blind tests. Have fun trying,

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

DaveC

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »
Charles, agree fully wrt music selection. I like using a wide variety, but it also needs to be things you are familiar with and enjoy listening to so you can evaluate the "engagement" factor that doesn't happen with music you don't really enjoy.

And 30 sec is about right for maximum length, listening to a full track is way too much for anything other than long term testing.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 05:26:10 PM »
What is wrong with Peggy Lee ?

Nothing of course - its the kind of music I predominately listen to.

Its that type of music the Killer has a particular affinity with - in fact it seems pretty well supreme.

On other music - YMMV.

There was a bit of a kapuffle with the comparison however - the Killer was not earthed optimally and the comparison needs to be redone.

I cant say anything about exactly how that will happen, an announcement will be made and I promised not to give any details until then, but will of course post what happens here.

Suffice to say the new PDX and Killer comparison is a very interesting one, but a winner is not the likely outcome - sorry if anyone is expecting this DAC clobbers this one etc etc - the difference between these two DAC's isn't quite like that - its a bit more subtle in terms of outcomes - not in terms of sound - they do sound rather different.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »
Hi Guys

I have taken my Killer down for another comparison and have heard it myself with the designer of the PDX - Clay.

It now was on an isolation platform and earthed correctly.  The PDX was now also on an isolation platform.

The Killer was much improved, but it's unknown exactly what proportion was the isolation platform and what was fixing the earth issue.  

Prior to this I called over to the person that made my Killer DAC's place to discuss exactly how, if at all, earthing it via the RCA would affect it.  He opened up the Killer and showed me the star earth wiring scheme and the ribbon wire connecting the earth to the RCA sockets.  It was definitely not optimum earthing it that way.

Of course the PDX was improved putting it on an isolation platform as well.

I will not mention Clays view - only mine.

First to the Lenard Cohen song - Secret Life we heard at the comparison.  There I thought it sounded like electronic music - now it didn't.  But to my ears it was still overblown and for want of a better word flowery.  The PDX was more natural detailed and enjoyable for me - on that track.

That said it's not the music I listen to and I already noted after the comparison music like Peggy Lee - Fever was very good via the Killer.  So on that went.  The voice via the Killer - Wow - very real, live, harmonically rich and textured to me.  It sounded great. Next the PDX.  Sorry - the voice simply lost the magic.  It was recessed and not as prominent.  However to compensate the drum during the opening was tighter and better defined - the other instruments were much better defined in the sound stage with greater life and bite.  Was it false and the Killer real?  I don't know - but I preferred that aspect of the PDX.  Overall though for me the Killer was easily the winner.

It was basically the same through the gamut of the music I listen to which is predominantly vocal such as Dean Martin and Rebecca Pidgeon.  Vocals - divine on the Killer - but backing instruments etc lacking in life etc compared to the PDX.  It was particularly noticeable on Sade - Smooth Operator.  It has a bit of dynamism and life - that was more apparent on the PDX - but recessed on the Killer.  It was closer this time between the two - but a slight preference for the Killer - Sade's voice simply more textured and real.

Which is better - blowed if I know.  I listen to mostly vocal stuff so I would go for the Killer - but that's  me.  Others may view it differently.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:53:19 PM by bhobba »