Author Topic: Vintage Cabinets  (Read 10021 times)

GTDS

Vintage Cabinets
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »
I have a vintage pair of wooden cabinets from an old speaker kit. I used to know the manufacturer, and I hope to unearth this info, soon.

When I acquired them they had EV loudspeakers in them.

I hope to make these into a custom stereo pair or two custom mono speakers.

The old padding is still inside. Any thoughts on whether it would be best to replace this with new insulation?

I would want to combine vintage components with contemporary modifications. Any thoughts on this?

As a stereo pair, they would be for various genres of music, but if mono speakers, probably for talk radio or playback monitors for certain audio projects.

Photos attached.

Thanks

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Vintage Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »
The cabinets remind me of the old Bozak speakers. But a lot of speakers looked similar to that back in the day.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 09:32:36 AM »
I like DIY speaker projects using old solid wood cabinets. They just look so nice when they are refinished.

An example of this is an old set of CV H15 speakers I had. I replaced the woofers with Dayton Audio 15 inch drivers, The midrange cone driver was replaced with a Selenium horn and a D250 midrange driver and the tweeter was replaced with a Selenium tweeter. All the parts were a bolt in with a few minor modifications.

I used a modified Klipsch Heresy crossover and a new set of speakers was born.

They sound great and clean and keep my attic train room full of music.

So get to rebuilding those old cabinets. :)
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 07:47:45 AM »
  Sounds good. Nothing like some DIY fun.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.