Author Topic: How many dedicated lines to run and what amperage?  (Read 12031 times)

AcidJazz

Re: How many dedicated lines to run and what amperage?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »
Opps, I sometimes suffer from foot-in-mouth disEase.  :lol:
YOu guys are right.
I blame my miscue on too much solder lead vapor.
Carry on!

PMK I choose swords...on guard!  :lol:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
THe line will have to be serviced with a 15A breaker to use 15A outlets.
Edit. Sorry Guys, I was wrong,

I thought the same thing Martin! It is so unintuitive! Should put it in the "Strange, but True!" section...  :)

DaveC

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »
If anyone needs something a bit more substantial than average for your system, just let me know  :lol:  Thread reminded me of it for some reason...

250A 240V 5 zone computer controlled receptacle bank (custom greenhouse job I did some years ago)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »
Thanks for the tips, fellas.

The electrician would prefer to put the subpanel closest to the main panel but this is is at the far end of the basement from where the system lives above. I would prefer to have the subpanel under the system, requiring a long (60-70') run of the 240 V (or is it 220V?) line from the main panel to the subpanel.

For such long run, what gauge wire should I use?  I assume copper only. The really fat copper gets pricey tho.

A long run to the subpanel = short runs to the system, which I'd prefer. I could then perhaps spring for the JPS in-wall.

Thanks again,

-Mike

pmkap

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
The subpanel under your system is preferable in minimizing potential ground loop issues. Are you planning on using both legs of the 240 (120vac-120vac) from the subpanel?, perhaps one leg for your AV equipment and the other leg for other uses to keep external noise out of your audio. If you're only going to use the one leg, just for powering your system, if within code, you could save by only running 1 of the 2 120vac legs and be sure to have the subpanel labeled as such so the next electrician dealing with it isn't totally flummoxed. 6 gauge solid core is indeed expensive. Lastly, I run my system off a single 20 amp circuit. No subpanels required, minimal potential for loops. But I also use multiple filter power conditioning that isolates components from each other.

I'm looking forward to your report(s) on how this investment in resources effect your system.

Regards,
Paul

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »
Excellent advice Paul. Good to see you posting and helping here.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

pmkap

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »
Excellent advice Paul. Good to see you posting and helping here.
charles

Charles,
Are you implicitly chastising me for being  a total prick on the other board? :rofl: If so, I admire your perceptiveness.

Have a great holiday!
Paul