Author Topic: CD player with quiet transport  (Read 5843 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
CD player with quiet transport
« on: August 29, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
I currently own a denon cd player that I use only as a transport and have an external dac. I am considering purchasing a used cd player that has a good transport and is known for it's quiet operation. Any recommendations? Budget about $500
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: CD player with quiet transport
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »
I'm a fan of the Pioneer players. The ones I've had good experiences with in the past that are quiet that will fit the approx $500 criteria are:

Pioneer Elite DV-09 and Pioneer Elite PD D9J

It may take a bit of luck to find the Pioneer Elite PD D9J at $500 used.

IME be wary of the Oppo BDP-83SE. At times when I first load a disc to the player it makes these loud noises. When playing I don't hear any noises from it but I swear it vibrates a lot.

This player was quiet when I had it but I don't know if you are a fan of slot loading CDPs and lots of blue lights. Check out the Emotiva ERC-1 or 2.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:07:04 AM »
Thanks I'll look them up. I remember some good reports on the Marantz stuff as well. Also some British stuff (Cambridge?? Music Fidelity?)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »
Look out for a used CEC belt driven transport. Very good stuff.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
CEC?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
Nice for the transport side of things but since I have a separate DAC is seems silly to spend a lot on a cd player with a OK DAC in it. But the whole belt drive this looks cool.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 07:53:48 AM »
  Sounds really good as well. On the Yin side of neutral with a non digital character.
   my bad I did not read "CD player ".

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »
  Sounds really good as well. On the Yin side of neutral with a non digital character.
   my bad I did not read "CD player ".

charles

Thanks Charles,
I was always told not to go too crazy on a CD player and to put the money into a good DAC. Now that I did I think I'd like to get a quieter cd player, mine is a fairly inexpensive Denon. Works ok but only cd, no sacd.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:53:15 PM »
Jim, you probably already know that no disc player can stream SACD to a DAC. You have to rip to file first. Or listen to it from the player analog output.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 06:35:48 AM »
I remember something like that (is that because of a proprietary decoding scheme?). So if I save it as a file first, does that mean it is no longer a SACD format and something else?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 08:50:30 AM »
I remember something like that (is that because of a proprietary decoding scheme?). So if I save it as a file first, does that mean it is no longer a SACD format and something else?

SACD is the physical format, like CD. DSD is the file format that SACD contains, like wav. The DSD file can be streamed from SACD, hard drive, internet, whatever can deliver the data fast enough.

There are all kinds of security measures in SACD standard. The fast sampling rate is one of them, since normal DAC chips can't convert 1 bit words. No digital output on consumer players is another, to prevent easy conversion to PCM. Continually variable pit width by encoded formula on the physical layer is another which prevents end users from burning their own SACDs, or even playing them without Sony licensed decoder. It's too bad it failed, it might have helped artists make more money if the technology was allowed to proliferate, but helping other people make money was not part of Sony's plan, so pro-audio and publishers rejected it.

You can rip the DSD file from SACD to hard drive, then stream the DSD file to a DSD-capable DAC via USB. Ted_B has written about ripping DSD from SACDs over on AC.

You can also rip the redbook wavs from SACD using any normal ripping software, if the SACD has a PCM layer.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 04:17:36 PM »

SACD is the physical format, like CD. DSD is the file format that SACD contains, like wav. The DSD file can be streamed from SACD, hard drive, internet, whatever can deliver the data fast enough.

There are all kinds of security measures in SACD standard. The fast sampling rate is one of them, since normal DAC chips can't convert 1 bit words. No digital output on consumer players is another, to prevent easy conversion to PCM. Continually variable pit width by encoded formula on the physical layer is another which prevents end users from burning their own SACDs, or even playing them without Sony licensed decoder. It's too bad it failed, it might have helped artists make more money if the technology was allowed to proliferate, but helping other people make money was not part of Sony's plan, so pro-audio and publishers rejected it.

You can rip the DSD file from SACD to hard drive, then stream the DSD file to a DSD-capable DAC via USB. Ted_B has written about ripping DSD from SACDs over on AC.

You can also rip the redbook wavs from SACD using any normal ripping software, if the SACD has a PCM layer.

JRiver will also convert DSD to PCM on the fly