Author Topic: DSD Debate  (Read 7498 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: DSD Debate
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
I have quite a few hybrid SACDS and without exception the redbook layer of the SACD sounds better than the SACD layer. I am sure that is because the analog section of my EE DAC far exceeds the quality of the analog section of the Denon Universal player that I use to drive it. The inferior analog section of the Denon mangles whatever digital source you use to feed it. (It is worth noting that an SACD played throuigh the Denon doea souind better than the CD layer played through the Denon.) IMO the achilles heel of the whole SACD format was always the lack of ability  to use a high quaily external DAC. Once again the music industry has shot itself in the foot. By worrying so muchabout preventing copying they pretty much killed a higher sq formet that could have brought them more sales and profits in the long run. And what ended up happening? People fiqured out how to RIP Sacds and hardware has become available (DSD) that can play those rips in spite of the industry's efforts to prevent just that. Technology and inovatiion overcame short sighted policy and corporate greed.
And it is not just with SACD and DSD. The entire music industry needs to come up with some creeative new ideas on how to monitize  new music  such that artists can be compensated enough to encourage them to continue producing music. But that is a topic for another thread.........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 07:00:18 AM »
 Same experience with SACD. Redbook through the Lector CDP always outperformed the the lessor Sony SACD.
  As I've said here many times cheap is cheap when it comes to digital. The Esoteric SACD player heard with SACD is leaps and bounds over redbook. Yes it is a $22,000 player and should do just that.
  DSD DACs should be a blessing. Anyone tried the Mytek or equal against redbook ? Or downloaded DSD to downloaded redbook ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »
I have an interesting development I'll fill you in on later regarding my DAC, kind of off-topic but related.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »
OK so here's my abridged version of a very long story. I had a problem with my Burson 160D DAC. The company sends me a replacement board N/C. I replace it.. Fixes one problem causes another. Company offers me a new unit (SL1793) with same retail value as my old unit but is not equivalent feature wise (Mine was a DAC,PRE Headphone out) So I tell them and they said just pay the difference between the full Conductor DAC and the SL1793 so thats my situation. I paid for it it should arrive tomorrow. So for a few hundred I get a ESS9018 DAC current model. Fair deal I'd say.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
I think I may have to consider a DSD compatible DAC in the future. Looks like there may be more DSD content coming our way.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/09/11/219727031/what-does-a-song-that-costs-5-sound-like?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=20130912&utm_source=Music

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »
In the future. I have been seeing people in both camps, It seems that for most people the performance is very close. Since I only had to lay out a few hundred it was cheaper than scrapping the older 160D and purchasing a SOTA DSD Dac/Pre/Headphome amp. I figure that would go for about $2000.