Author Topic: Schiit Bifrost Upgrades  (Read 15300 times)

DaveC

Schiit Bifrost Upgrades
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »
Thanks to geowak on audiocircle I found out about new upgrades for my Schiit Bifrost DAC:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116363.msg1219446#new

There is a new "uber" analog board upgrade and a new USB board available. I ordered and just installed the uber upgrade. Here's a few comments, I'm really happy with the new upgrade and the DAC in general.

I finished the upgrade about 30 min ago... took all of about 10 min to install the new board.

It obviously hasn't burned in yet, but I can say without reservation that this is a pretty large improvement in many areas.

The sound is clearer so detail comes through better, imaging is more defined and precise, the instruments and vocals have more separation and air in between them. Dynamics are also slightly improved. It's just overall more engaging and fun to listen to.

Several months ago I replaced the RCA jacks with DH Labs pure copper units, and used Neotech cotton insulated EC-UPOCC wire to connect them to the board. At the same time I replaced the fuse with a HiFi tuning unit. Those upgrades were also worthwhile, although not as easy as the oem RCA jacks are PCB mount.

I will definitely get the v2 USB board as well since Jason said it was also a significant upgrade. How good can this little DAC get? It was great off the shelf, now it is pretty amazing... can't wait to see what difference the USB board is going to make!

Good Schiit for sure...  :thumb:

DaveC

Re: Schiit Bifrost Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:30:37 PM »
Since the uber upgrade went so well, I ordered the new USB board as well...

DaveC

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »
I just installed the new USB board.

Wow! Like the uber board, this is a significant upgrade. It sounds like I have a new DAC, the music sounds more real and more natural. The uber board took the same signal and handled it a lot better, this is a significantly different signal in the first place which is why I said it sounds like a new DAC. I was happy with my Bifrost when I first got it, now I am blown away by how good of a source it is. The difference with the uber and v2 USB boards is night and day.

I have a feeling this little DAC is going to embarrass quite a few much more expensive units. Good job with this Schiit!  :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 06:57:38 AM »
Dave glad you are enjoying the mods. Curious as to your total investment so far.
    Maybe just maybe we now have an inexpensive DAC that really equals the big boys. I tend to doubt it as for years our club member have tried the wanna bees and they all fell short of the big boys.
   I hope your correct in your assumption. Have my eyes set on an Esoteric K-03 now. Would love to do a direct comparison and learn

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

jsaliga

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:13:50 AM »
There's nothing like raining all over someone's parade, and it's one of the reasons I don't much like talking about gear on audio sites.

Dave, you sound like you're very happy with your upgrades.  Trust what your ears are telling you and enjoy.  :thumb:  I should have my new Schiit Gungnir DAC any day and am looking forward to it.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:27:31 AM by jsaliga »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 07:37:51 AM »
    Jerome just stating our experience with inexpensive DACS. Did not mean to rain on his parade or insult him. If that is perceived I apologize.  Would be quite interested in hearing one myself.
    Digital has come a long way. The inexpensive DACs are very close to the finest out there. In direct comparison to each other it would be cool to hear how close or maybe better.
    If its real close then we have a over performer to consider. Hey I would would love to spend less like everyone else.  Maybe the Bitfrost can compete. I'm rooting for it, Dave knows good sound.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

jsaliga

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:35:22 AM »
    Jerome just stating our experience with inexpensive DACS.

charles

I think that's fine Charles when someone is asking for opinions and input, but that's not the case here.  Dave was simply telling us how pleased he was with his Bifrost upgrades.

The thing about audio is there is always better to be found if your patience is long enough and your pockets deep enough.  But why make that an issue whenever budget gear is discussed?

Later...

--Jerome

DaveC

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »
Thanks Jerome, but I don't think Charles was meaning to put down my Schiit.  :rofl:

His point is valid, there is a pretty decent sized (priced) gulf between budget DACs and "high end" units. The Bifrost got good reviews when it first came out and many people said it was pretty close to much more expensive DACs. The upgrades aren't a subtle change... the DAC is significantly improved, so I too share Charles' curiosity about how close it is to DACs in the $1k+ range. And I put it out there that the Bifrost may embarrass some much more expensive DACs myself.

Hopefully, Schiit's revised Bifrost will deliver the goods and make for a real top-end source for an unheard of low price. We need more gear in the audio industry that delivers true value for the money, which is one of the reasons I started a side-biz making cables... I don't believe any IC cable should cost more than around $500 and I truly believe I'm putting cables out there that will destroy the current cable pricing standards. I would put my "cost-no-object" cable for $299 up against any cable out there regardless of price. My Omega speakers (specifically the new RS5 driver) achieve that sort of value for the money too, they compare favorably to speakers that cost 10-30x the price.

Charles, if you are curious buy one and take advantage of Schiit's return policy if you aren't happy with it. Or, I have seen used Bifrosts going for around $200 w/o USB, then spend $70 on the upgraded uber board. Add the new USB for $100 if you need it. The upgrade boards take very little time or skill to install.

I originally spent $400 on a new "B-stock" Bifrost, they are either customer returns or just a way for Schiit to give a bit of a break since they never run specials or sales. The upgraded boards were $170, so I have $570 into my Bifrost now, a new one with uber board and USB is $550 I believe... so I'm doing ok, it's still a very affordable DAC.

I can't wait to hear Schiit's new cost-no-object top of the line DAC when it comes out, I think it's going to be very reasonably priced as well, maybe 2x the price of the Gungnir or so...

Jerome, I am interested to hear what you think of the Gungnir when you get it. Be patient on burn-in, my Bifrost took a while to sound decent... it was pretty bad right out of the box.

jsaliga

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 07:43:07 PM »
Thanks Jerome, but I don't think Charles was meaning to put down my Schiit.  :rofl:

Perhaps not, but I had a similar exchange in the Oppo BDP-105 thread, and I couldn't help but think "here we go again." 

It's one thing to suggest alternatives when someone is trying to decide on a purchase, and it is quite another to plant the seeds of buyer's remorse and water them with FUD.  Since you don't seem to mind I will bow out and leave you to your discussion.

Perhaps I should just stick to talking about music...

--Jerome

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 07:22:03 AM »
  Jerome, we are taking about a source component. IMO the most important piece in the system I believe "garbage in garbage out" . If one has invested serious money in a system why skimp on the source. Spending more money does not guarantee success, most times a lateral move.
   Just like cartridges they make a world of difference. Is there much of a difference ? sometimes yes sometimes no. Most is a matter of omission as opposed to sonic issues.
   I just have a pet peeve with digital in general and firmly believe that one should consider a more advanced DAC.
   After thinking about it though you have a point. I am with you 100% on raining on parades as I have posted the same opinion at times.
   It was not meant that way however perception is key. I will refrain from posting my pet peeve unless it is for a dedicated thread for such.

charles

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
Hi Dave

As you have spent more time with the Schiit Bifrost that you upgraded what are your thoughts on it? Another audio friend of mine reviewed the Bifrost with all the uber upgrades and he was loving it. The best $540 shipped he ever spent according to him.

I do agree with your upgrading the IC jacks on the BiFrost. I look at the stock jacks on the BiFrost and they don't look like the greatest to me.

DaveC

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
I really like it! The uber board and gen2 USB board have really transformed this DAC, it sounds more natural and musical after the upgrades. I think the Bifrost is well worth trying out if you're looking at DACs in it's price range and possibly/probably beyond.  :thumb:

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »
I really like it! The uber board and gen2 USB board have really transformed this DAC, it sounds more natural and musical after the upgrades. I think the Bifrost is well worth trying out if you're looking at DACs in it's price range and possibly/probably beyond.  :thumb:

Dave,
Any more thoughts on your upgraded Bifrost? Have you had an opportunity to compare it to other dacs? Does it handle jitter reasonably well?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

DaveC

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »
Hi Nick, I posted some thought in your thread "my search for a new DAC".

The Bifrost is a good unit for the money, but the Auralic Vega was quite a bit better for 7x the price.

I did like the Bifrost better than the Teac, but I also like the HiFace better as well and it's only $300.

geowak

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 05:33:15 PM »
Thanks to geowak on audiocircle I found out about new upgrades for my Schiit Bifrost DAC:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116363.msg1219446#new

There is a new "uber" analog board upgrade and a new USB board available. I ordered and just installed the uber upgrade. Here's a few comments, I'm really happy with the new upgrade and the DAC in general.

I finished the upgrade about 30 min ago... took all of about 10 min to install the new board.

It obviously hasn't burned in yet, but I can say without reservation that this is a pretty large improvement in many areas.

The sound is clearer so detail comes through better, imaging is more defined and precise, the instruments and vocals have more separation and air in between them. Dynamics are also slightly improved. It's just overall more engaging and fun to listen to.

Several months ago I replaced the RCA jacks with DH Labs pure copper units, and used Neotech cotton insulated EC-UPOCC wire to connect them to the board. At the same time I replaced the fuse with a HiFi tuning unit. Those upgrades were also worthwhile, although not as easy as the oem RCA jacks are PCB mount.

I will definitely get the v2 USB board as well since Jason said it was also a significant upgrade. How good can this little DAC get? It was great off the shelf, now it is pretty amazing... can't wait to see what difference the USB board is going to make!

Good Schiit for sure...  :thumb:

Dave,

Glad you like the Bifrost so much. I still have mine and still use it... enjoyment almost everyday. I still have a Benchmark DAC1 USB in another audio setup. For 1/2 the price of the Benchmark, the Schiit Bifrost Uber matches it's performance.
In fact, I find it to be more lively and musical. For the money, you would be hard pressed to beat it!!