Author Topic: I think I bought an SACD/DVD-A player  (Read 2956 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
I think I bought an SACD/DVD-A player
« on: July 18, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
I picked up a Linn Unidisc SC the other day.
Thing is, the remote doesn't work (knew that going in) so I can't get to the option menus.

I wasn't familiar w/ this player at all before I saw it sitting lonely in my brother's shop. It's a multi-channel CD/SACD/DVD/DVD-A player/processer w/ digital inputs and a pr of analog inputs, so it can function as a preamp/dac as well. Cool  8)

Thought it might solve my current dac-less situation but when I use it as a dac, the digital input is set to "Dolby PL surround" (or somesuch) (hey had a thought - maybe the optical input is still set to 2-ch?  Gotta try...) so can't use as a dac at the moment.

Anyway, it plays CDs superbly - the best digital sound I've owned! And I know it plays DVDs therefore I assume it'll play SACDs and DVD-As as well, although I don't have any yet! (Who wants to sell!?)

Don't know if it's the remote or the player that's busted but it's no biggie since I won't be using any of the video  functions and CDs play so well. I'd like to be able to use the digital in so maybe it'll be worth a repair for that.

Sound on CD is superb - Lighter in the bass than the EE dacs I've heard which is fine in my room.

Not bad- a $5000 player in 2005 that I got for $199  :thumb:

-Mike

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: I think I bought an SACD/DVD-A player
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »
Nice score Mike :thumb:
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: I think I bought an SACD/DVD-A player
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »
Hey Mike FWIW I turned this up in a search...

"get the Logitech Harmony 1000 - they have all the Linn remote codes online and works like a charm."

Though I imagine you could source a Linn remote if you wanted to.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...