Author Topic: Zu Tour 2012 - July 7th - Princeton, NJ  (Read 21543 times)

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
Re: Zu Tour 2012 - July 7th - Princeton, NJ
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2012, 08:44:13 PM »
7th.  Here (2nd pic), Mike is practicing to take over Chris's duties.  Not quite there yet, so Chris can be at ease for now. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:04:25 AM by goldlizsts »

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »
One mo'.

What's Mr. Amp up to, leaning on his bad leg :duh?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 08:46:56 PM by goldlizsts »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 10:18:44 PM »
Wow! Looks like a super time.

Thanks for posting the pictures shek.

So how were those Defs? Good as ever? Are there bass drivers on the back of them?

Your listening room and house looks great Deepak. You did a lot of work since the flood.

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2012, 03:51:03 AM »
Wow! Looks like a super time.

Thanks for posting the pictures shek.

So how were those Defs? Good as ever? Are there bass drivers on the back of them?

Your listening room and house looks great Deepak. You did a lot of work since the flood.

Yeah, we had a, well!, blast.  Deepak's house really has been transformed, esp. the basement listening room, as I noted earlier.  I'm sure others will post their listening experience soon.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 04:25:02 AM »
Rich - the drivers fire downward.

Tommy - remember what I said, talc on the knee before the brace goes on.  :thumb: I wear a pair of them myself from time to time, I know the problem.

I hate seeing myself in these pics, all I notice is my ginormous bucket-shaped head.

Deepak hosted a fine event, and as always Chhaya was a gracious and charming hostess.

A fine day, though I faded at end as I started very early in the day at the gym.

The Zu pair in the theater were excellent, though to be honest, at their list price I think I would look for a 2nd hand pair of Revel Ultima Salon2, but that's just me. On the other hand, they were being driven by a 1.5 watt tube amp, I think more power would have filled out the sound. I did get to hear the Miles album I had just bought, damn speakers image like crazy. Bill was standing between the boxes talking to Sean, and it sounded like Bill was playing the trumpet.

And spending time at PREX with the squash-head prior to the GTG was also pleasant, found a nice Miles 6 eye release I've wanted, and another Dexter Gordon early 60's Blue Note that's been on my shopping list.

And watching the young lovelies float across the Princeton U. campus in a variety of summer dresses didn't stink either.

But the high point of the day was the 2 prepster dudes in their Brooks Brothers 'casual' suits and European hair, who walked into PREX, saw Bill, did an about face and back out the door.

I love Bill.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 05:15:34 AM by etcarroll »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2012, 06:28:54 AM »
A big thank you to Deepak & Chhaya  and for hosting a fine Rave.
The food was non stop & delicious.

Thank You Sean for bringing your speakers. The Def.IV's really sang, once we fed them more power. The 18 watt Almarro really transformed the sound. 2 watts didn't drive them very well, the sound was lean, shouty, and bright. With more power the tonal balanced fulled out nicely. Bass went deeper, highs were sweeter and more in balanced with the midrange and bass.
 To bad the guys who left earlier didn't hear the other amp, it really sounded like different speakers. Very fast, with a nice fleshed out tonal balance. Good job, Sean. I could imagine what the Audion 845 would bring to the table.

All in All a fun day!

Thanks,
Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2012, 06:44:22 AM »
"To bad the guys who left earlier didn't hear the other amp, it really sounded like different speakers."

Dammit! #-o
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline mikef

• Seeking Help
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2012, 07:15:21 AM »
My thanks also to Deepak and Chhaya for opening their home to us for the day. They were really great hosts. The food was excellent and plentiful (thanks for the Mango Lassie!), and the music was fine. Deepak's basement looks transformed since my previous visit.

I was a little disappointed with the Def IVs when I heard them with the 2 watt amp, they were too lean in the midband for me. Too bad I left early, before the Almarro was inserted into the chain since Joe said they then sounded wonderful. My favorite speakers in the living room were the Soul Superflys; I thought they sounded more coherent than the Omens.

Thanks again for a fun day.

Mike Fox

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »
"To bad the guys who left earlier didn't hear the other amp, it really sounded like different speakers."

Dammit! #-o

Somebody elaborate more on the speakers running with the bigger amp later, please!  Like Gene, I left around 6, missing the boat?!  How did the sound change from the afternoon?  Did the leanness become fatter and warmer simply because of a different, beefier amp?  Somehow, I agree with several people, I like the baby Souls more.  Given what the equipment were, I somehow thought the Souls were warmer in the mids.  Then, again, I am not familiar with all the pieces connected to each setup, so.... everything must be qualified, simply because if you're not intimate to the setup, it's hardly definitive, IMHO.

Oh, forgot, thanks a mil to Deepak and Chhaya again.  Great food, great people, great weather (the heat made it exciting!).

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »
Deepak & Chhaya,
     Many thanks for hosting the rave and having so many people in your home.  Many thanks to Sean Casey of Zu Audio as well.  Running around the U.S. demoing your products may be fun at times;  but you're also making a big sacrifice on the family front.   I also appreciated Sean's openness and candor about his company and products.  Wishing you continued success.
     The Zu Def's did come into their own with more power.  I really enjoyed these speakers.
       Deepak and Chhaya, the food and drinks were wonderful.  You are such good host/hostess.  I'm hoping I can reciprocate.

I hate seeing myself in these pics, all I notice is my ginormous bucket-shaped head.
.    It's fortunate Gene wasn't the model for the Zu driver or it would be a 15" full-ranger :lol:
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

lonewolfny42

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2012, 06:52:59 PM »
A hot time in Princeton....one of the hottest days this year.......and it pays to stay late... :D

Deepak & Chhaya and family...
Thank you for hosting the Zu Audio Rave.....I had a great time...food and fun galore. :drool:

Dee...
Your basement turned out great...what a transformation from before...excellent !!!  8) :beer:

Thanks go out to Sean (Zu Audio) for providing three pairs of speakers,gear, and Lp's.....that's some trek around the country...best of luck in your travels. :thumb:

So....how did the speakers sound ?

I spent most of my time listening to the Def.IV's downstairs. As Joe mentioned....
"2 watts didn't drive them very well, the sound was lean, shouty, and bright. With more power the tonal balanced fulled out nicely."

Jim/Hogg to the rescue....enter the Almarro 318B... :thumb:

The Almarro provided what was missing...tone, bass, dynamics...all the right stuff to make them sing.

That's the Zu speakers I know..... :thumb:

Yes...they work with low wattage amps...but in this room....more was much better....
see...it pays to stay later. :D

Only quick listens to the other pairs....time always goes soooo fast.... :(

Good to see a nice turnout....Raver's and others... 8)

Shek...thanks for the photos.... :thumb:

And Joe....thanks for the ride. :beer:

Chris

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 06:54:32 PM by lonewolfny42 »

Offline gopher

• Certifiable
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »
Nuts!  I really wish I'd stuck around to hear that Almarro driving the Defs, but The Wall at Yankeee Stadium was calling.

When I first went down to the basement I would agree with the shouty, thing, iritating comments with the Yammy in place, but I think it was because it was being driven too hard.  I went upstairs for a bit and came back down and with less gain, more within its comfort zone, I got some nice hints of what those speakers are capable of.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
I am glad everyone had a good time and thanks for all the compliments on the house.  I had a great time catching up with everyone.

For folks who missed the Def IV and Almarro combination you might be able to listen to that combination along with the DAC Cherry if you are visiting Capital AudioFest.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:21:23 PM by shadowlight »